• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MN99 Landrover

Ag100

Just got these new metal axels and drive shafts to fit to it, will hopefully help with the bump steer and give it a bit of weight low down.

932DFEA5-0CF2-481E-8C6C-97E956238EB5.thumb.jpeg.b31ee8e4b2b97fa4d234b1793ae23a2f.jpeg

Well, that was short lived, these don’t fit, they are too narrow, so don’t fit the supports and the tyres rub on the uprights, have tried to do a hybrid of the two but nothing fits, so back to standard.🙁

• Sad 1

On 15/08/2020 at 14:32, Ag100 said:

Well, that was short lived, these don’t fit, they are too narrow, so don’t fit the supports and the tyres rub on the uprights, have tried to do a hybrid of the two but nothing fits, so back to standard.🙁

That sucks, they look decent quality in the pic. Can you send them back? 

25 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

That sucks, they look decent quality in the pic. Can you send them back? 

Unfortunately not, I managed to snap a screw in the front one!, I think with a few other pieces I might get them to fit but I’m not sure it’s worth spending the money, it’s fine as it is really.

the MN 99 looks very cool, I have just ordered the MN 99s so very excited for it to arrive.

I am looking to add some upgrades and mods to it also, this is one of the reasons I have joined this community.

The new axles look stunning shame they didn't work out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chipperlad said:

the MN 99 looks very cool, I have just ordered the MN 99s so very excited for it to arrive.

I am looking to add some upgrades and mods to it also, this is one of the reasons I have joined this community.

The new axles look stunning shame they didn't work out.

@chipperlad, these are great little trucks, upgrades aren’t straight forward though as I have discovered, everything so far has had to be modified. Fitted some metal drive shafts, they needed to be drilled out to fit.

• Like 1

[mention=45555]chipperlad[/mention], these are great little trucks, upgrades aren’t straight forward though as I have discovered, everything so far has had to be modified. Fitted some metal drive shafts, they needed to be drilled out to fit.

I will have to pay great attention to advice on here, the YouTube videos make it look so easy but I guess if you have the right equipment and know how it will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second attempt with metal axles for the MN99.
This time I have just ordered the cases, these are the same size as the originals, just made of metal.
As with all these parts, fitting is not straightforward, you have to use the existing gears and internal parts, the input shafts that come with the truck don’t fit into the new red metal covers, luckily the ones from the other metal axles I had fit fine. This seems to have helped with it toppling over, as its added some weight low down. 

5FA65450-3179-434D-B123-ABCCC6874054.jpeg

7EA1E811-852F-4D63-AEA6-40164F57B402.jpeg

828985E1-B340-4EDD-A23F-473AA6003A93.jpeg

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Silly_Billy said:

AG100, I know this is an older topic, just wondering what your thoughts are on the MN99S. Considering buying one, would be my first crawler. I have 2 Nitro, Saloon and Monster Truck, but want to have a go at crawling.

They are good little trucks, but they are basically a toy grade really, in standard form they are top heavy and a little fragile for proper crawling. But for the money they are great value and a bit of fettling gets them pretty capable.

I changed the drive shafts from the stock plastic to metal, and fitted metal axle covers, also glued the tyres, it’s good fun doing this has definitely improved the handling, and it doesn’t topple over now.

I have a new 20amp esc and a budget tx/rx on its way, nothing wrong with the stock electrics, I just wanted to try something different. I do recommend it, but if you want to get seriously into crawling I’m sure there are better, but you will spend more.

It’s was reasonably easy, the parts are easy to come by on Ali Express/Bangood, you do need to do a few mods to make it all fit.

I’m changing the esc as the standard tx and the PCB which is a combined ESC and receiver seems to have a bit of lag in response and it sometimes creeps without any input from me, ESC was £6 off eBay and TX/RX £20 of Ali Express.

I will post up here once I have done it and weather it improves it.

I think including the truck and upgrades I’m into about £90.

11 minutes ago, Silly_Billy said:

Ag100, sorry for all the questions - how long did the battery last on a single charge? I've just placed an order for an MN99s, with a 180 motor to replace the stock motor.

shorturl.at/kuEKL

It’s at least 30 mins, not actually run it much longer so don’t know how long it can last.

im pretty sure the MN99 and 99s already come with the 260 motor, it’s certainly bigger/better than the MN90

Wondering if I read the wrong info somewhere then. Watched a youtube vid of a gent upgrading his 99, and it included a new ESC and changing out the motor for a more powerful one, with a metal pinion...

Did I get this wrong somewhere?

Edit: I think I did: 

Edited by Silly_Billy

Yes, have seen a few people put  the 380 in, but for what it is the stock motor is fine, these things are never quick, but climb and get over obstacles nicely, here is a short vid I did, not particularly challenging terrain , but gives you an idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies Ag100. My Mn99S arrived yesterday, had it stripped down and greased up the diffs etc. One thing that bothers me is that when I turn left full lock, that it "sucks" the suspension up. Cant think of any other way to put it. When I first started looking at it all, I noticed the screw holding the link rod from the servo to the axle was only half screwed in. Tightened that up, and then noticed the odd action. Is it possible tightening that screw up did "odd" things?

10 minutes ago, Silly_Billy said:

Thanks for all the replies Ag100. My Mn99S arrived yesterday, had it stripped down and greased up the diffs etc. One thing that bothers me is that when I turn left full lock, that it "sucks" the suspension up. Cant think of any other way to put it. When I first started looking at it all, I noticed the screw holding the link rod from the servo to the axle was only half screwed in. Tightened that up, and then noticed the odd action. Is it possible tightening that screw up did "odd" things?

Hi, no, this seems to be something they all do, I think it’s the amount of play in the plastic parts, I am just on the process of fitting some metal steering parts, will let you know the outcome.

An improvement in the steering, but all these aftermarket parts seem so badly made, it has caused another issue as the onboard bearing wouldn’t fit with the new axles, so have built without and now there is a large amount of play in the wheels!