• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

monster planning

Lone-wolf

So guys, i am planning ahead, and looking at getting a half decent monster truck....of sorts. The keen eyed may notice a theme in this, and wont happen for a little while as i need to sort the cash, plus i am still waiting to hear about a small pot pension i have asked to cash in, so i am listing 3 idea`s that i am mulling over

1st up Kyosho Mad crusher VE, and the most expensive of all, have to say really like the idea of this, and i have loads of lipo`s to run it with, looks just like a crawler on steroids but very fast

2nd up is the traxxas stampede Bigfoot, price is sweet, again got plenty of NI-MH packs and some 2s lipo packs, seems to have a good reputation for being a strong outfit and plenty of fun

3rd up and bit of an oddball is the carisma scale SC1-a Ford F-150, not exactly a monster truck but a slow crawler, however on 2s lipo with a lower turn motor say 21t it will be a bit faster than stock, more a fast ish trail rig though

4th but less in the running is the tamiya Blackfoot, old, very old design, and buying new is a bit pricey for what it is, by time you add servo, radio and such

The Carisma with longer shocks and links and 2.6 wheels could possibly work as an MT. Depends whether you want a real MT or not. It would certainly win on the scale front.

The mad crusher though has always looked awesome and does have a bit of an aftermarket following as well.

• Like 1

Just now, mond said:

The Carisma with longer shocks and links and 2.6 wheels could possibly work as an MT. Depends whether you want a real MT or not. It would certainly win on the scale front.

The mad crusher though has always looked awesome and does have a bit of an aftermarket following as well.

good reply, at this stage i am favouring the mad crusher, just need to juggle pennies

The mad crusher is a wicked little truck, not the most durable ever but should be fine for what you want of it.

Edited by fnknan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

"Not the most durable", hmm its big money so that may put me of

The body is weak. I've seen a few Youtubers destroy the back of it in one session and the back bumper seems weak too.

I have read one person who bought two and managed to snap both axle housings on both cars on the same day. He upgraded to alloy and has been fine since. It's difficult to say how hard he was driving, but snapping axle housings isn't ideal.

Oh, and out the box it'll only do 22MPH on 4S!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

You not fancy a Axial SMT10 Builders kit ? 

Awesome fun to blast about 

No that is not on my list, and regarding the comments on the mad crusher that is no longer on the list, looks like the Traxxas Bigfoot has just moved to pole position

Sorry for being blunt, But have we not been here before, Can you not just get the Traxxas Bigfoot and be done, That's without doubt the one you want and the itch you have to scratch, So just scratch it. 

15 minutes ago, babylon said:

Sorry for being blunt, But have we not been here before, Can you not just get the Traxxas Bigfoot and be done, That's without doubt the one you want and the itch you have to scratch, So just scratch it. 

I think we need a few more threads on this first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, babylon said:

I guess you can be blunt, same as i can ask some opinions on a few different models.......any thing inherently wrong with asking some opinions on a list of models before parting with hard to come by cash....I was set to get the Kyosho, but because i asked on here i now see its not quite the model i wanted, and could have been a waste of £452.

Yes i like the idea of the traxxas, but i am still not 100% sure its the right model for what i want.

it would be nice and helpful if you are going to post to do so in a slightly more positive way

But you asked pretty much the same question in your Basher Model thread were your limit was £250.

So your saying that you have as much as £450 to play with now, You have to take into consideration that Monster trucks are generally just basic chassis with big wheels, But it still really comes down to the Stampede, Granite,Blackfoot /Monster Beetle or TriTon, The Kyosho is out cos it's over priced, And a bit too complicated with parts I doubt are gonna be easy to get or transfer from other models, But that's about it, That pretty much is your list of options, Pick the one you like the look off and have that, There all pretty much of a muchness.

6 hours ago, babylon said:

But you asked pretty much the same question in your Basher Model thread were your limit was £250.

So your saying that you have as much as £450 to play with now, You have to take into consideration that Monster trucks are generally just basic chassis with big wheels, But it still really comes down to the Stampede, Granite,Blackfoot /Monster Beetle or TriTon, The Kyosho is out cos it's over priced, And a bit too complicated with parts I doubt are gonna be easy to get or transfer from other models, But that's about it, That pretty much is your list of options, Pick the one you like the look off and have that, There all pretty much of a muchness.

TBH in some ways the budget is whatever i want it to be, but i tend to be careful with my cash, and i do question how much use this will get, and that affects how much i am prepared to put into this.

Each model i listed seem to have there own issues and i was trying to get to the bottom of this (BTW i never mentioned monster beetle, Granite or TriTon whatever that is)

Think best option is to pretty well forget about this idea, maybe set up a saved sarch on fleabay for a used blackfoot

The Tamiya Monster Beetle is the same as the Blackfoot just with a Beetle body, The Granite is Arrma's Monster truck thing, The TriTon is Corally's version, The chassis is very much in the same vain as the Stampede and the ECX range of trucks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

TriTon

spacer.png

ECX

spacer.png

Stampede

spacer.png

I get what your saying, they are all much of the much, but they would be as they are all 2wd monster type trucks, but like i said i am gonna sit on this idea  a while and maybe i wont get one after all, even going of the idea of the Bigfoot

• Haha 1

On 20/07/2020 at 17:23, monkeyboy_uk said:

I think we need a few more threads on this first.

tbh i think 5 is enough XD 

enough of the sarky comments, i will leave this thread to whoever wants to play on it, hence i have decided against getting any of the above, all i was doing was asking the pro`s and cons of these models..........dont have to worry about it no more and Wheelspin have lost a sale

I would say my final thought on this is 2wd is now ruled out, dont want a wheelie machine, i am gonna see what spare cash (and i mean spare rather than raiding bank) i can sort out, maybe save for a while, sell some bits of maybe a kidney, you all get the drift