• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WPL- C24 Crawler~ FPV ~ Ardurover

Having received my new Crawler kit the fun can now begin.

I have masked the body ready for spraying (my first ever attempt) so hope goes well with paint spraying tomorrow.

I've decided build will include...

Runcam Split 3 Nano HD FPV Camera

Kakute F722 Mini Flight Controller

Matek GPS Module & Compass

VTX unsure at the moment

Receiver Spektrum SPM4650

Quicrun 1025 ESC

3S Lipo

Edited by tourerjim
  • Like 2

For dunces like me on all things fpv related, can you walk me through the set up - not the actual technical fandangatory but very (very) high level!?

I'm ok with the camera bit, that's obvious.

That then plugs into the flight controller right? Do you need this because you plan to drive the rig a really long way away?

GPS module; yep, why?

What's a VTX?

SPM4650 is a specific drone RX?

What's the overall plan @tourerjim? I'm dead keen to learn .

Thanks vm

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

For dunces like me on all things fpv related, can you walk me through the set up - not the actual technical fandangatory but very (very) high level!?

I'm ok with the camera bit, that's obvious.

That then plugs into the flight controller right? Do you need this because you plan to drive the rig a really long way away?

GPS module; yep, why?

What's a VTX?

SPM4650 is a specific drone RX?

What's the overall plan @tourerjim? I'm dead keen to learn .

Thanks vm

VTX is the video transmitter, to send live video to goggles or screen.

yes the camera will plug into the flight controller.

the flight controller needs the gps to run things like return to start (home)

sorry if this is harsh but i see very little point to this, only real use is way points on Inav or ardu rover, but if the car gets stuck or rolls then you still have to go looking for it to sort it

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

sorry if this is harsh but i see very little point to this, only real use is way points on Inav or ardu rover, but if the car gets stuck or rolls then you still have to go looking for it to sort it

Thanks buddy, i'm a bit wiser for that👍

I've thought abuot the whole fpv thing as well but always coe back to what happens when (not if) I flip the truck!

I'd quite like to see a Utra4 race via fpv - at least thay have marshalls to put them back on the track.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Thanks Jack  just leaves me to mention the idea with GPS is so I can see the truck speed and record sats so when I drive around trees etc I can check if there are any sat loses then I can setup a mission planner purely for the fun. 

I also fly heli's & quads and have loads of spare parts so thought of the idea of trying it out on a car.

Edited by tourerjim
  • Like 2

Done a few drive tests and very enjoyable fun however had some problems with the camera control board gets hot and the double sided tape weakens and then moves the camera angle so I need to work on a mode also when lifting the truck top off sometimes pulls wires of the FC so will need to fit hinges then I can just tilt it to one side.

• Like 1

There's been bit of a delay as I couldn't get the drive motor to work with  Inav Rover but finally got it sorted and now she drives really smoothly with no erratic throttle surges and same with the steering.

Next stage is to setup the GPS and Mission Planner which I hope to test out this weekend.

Edited by tourerjim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Manage to load Mission Planner (Ardurover) and going through the setup was all new to me so slow process but anyhow got steering and motor working then after short time bench testing motor packed up so I've ordered upgraded motor with alloy gearbox and props but might be couple weeks before they turn up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stimpy said:

Just checked this out... Not my cup of tea but is certainly very interesting! Will be good to see it drive in mission mode👍

Goodluck.

Cheers, I have had it connected to Mission Planner and with the Crawler sitting in the garden it pin points exact location so hopefully will work.

• Like 1

Motor and drive shafts are now fitted but I'm going to need to shorten the rear drive shaft and then adjust steering locks through the Ardurover.

Drive testing with the upgrade motor/gearbox the crawler just creeps over rocks with minimal throttle effortlessly compared to the stock motor.

IMG_20200817_140650.jpg

IMG_20200817_140715.jpg

Edited by tourerjim
  • Like 3

Well..! it's been many weeks in the making but good news is it drives really nice and looks good when driving FPV with goggles on and looks good seeing across the bonnet as your driving, also made a little obstacle course in the garden with ramps.

Just got few more tests to do as I need to make some adjustments then I'll put a video together and upload it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 23/08/2020 at 12:04, tourerjim said:

Well..! it's been many weeks in the making but good news is it drives really nice and looks good when driving FPV with goggles on and looks good seeing across the bonnet as your driving, also made a little obstacle course in the garden with ramps.

Just got few more tests to do as I need to make some adjustments then I'll put a video together and upload it.

I'm getting there.!  but due to the video footage quality I've had to upgrade the shocks and axle tie rods and there's so much play in the plastic steering joints I need to do another upgrade to new axles, I've had these on order with BG since August, and only just  now to be told  no stock available, done a google search to find stock on Amazon Prime and will be posted Tuesday, BG are getting to be a joke with there orders of late, anyhow hope to get her back up and running over the xmas so I can get some decent footage.

• Like 1