• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are Hostile MX's really the best?

Andrew3236

Got a 5b flux with Hostile MX tyres. No idea if they are shot beyond use or my incompetence with electric power but it just keeps spinning out. Tried a new set of madmax tyres from someone elses baja and they're slightly better, should i look into putting bolts on the tyre so it really digs? Looking for enough performance to be able to wheelie quite easily

Obvious question...but....

What surface are you running on?

Chunky block tread tyres grip on mud or loose surfaces. If you are running on hard packed soil, tarmac or similar...Hostile MX will be useless. Hard compounds will spin...soft compounds will tear up.

If you want good grip, then you need to get a tyre that suits where you run. When conditions change...so do the tyres you need for best grip.

Even on seemingly grippy grass, Hostiles will suddenly become useless as the sunlight fades and the grass becomes damp. I've been out several times in bright sunlight, car running like a trooper, but as the sun drops behind the trees, it's like a switch has been flicked and the grass is so damp that I struggle to get the car moving from a standstill. 

Yet to try the Uber's. 

And mine is also leccy. 

bit more info on the ubers from personal experience,

mine were run on an obr twin powered baja, 

they are belted, ie; zero growth tyres, i have the first version of the super spikes and the grip on dry grass is very good, wet/damp conditions and grip is amazing,

much better grip than the hostile mx's,

downside was in mine the belts started to fail , but as above mine were the v1's, uber have since brought out the v2, same tread pattern just made em stronger on the belts etc,

the v1's did tend to start and tear the treads a tad as well, but mine never lost any tread or tore all the way through,

still fully usable and still grip really well,

another thing they do is they tend to wear the tread at an angle quite quickly,

but again all thats needed is swap left to right and right to left on them so the treads flipped 180 degrees and alls well till they wear the treads at an angle again,

mine got the hell hammered out of em with using a twin engine and they do hold up really well,

also there is the mini spike version available now, not tried those myself yet though,

oh, one more thing, even with failed belts there still usable and just balloon a bit like a normal tyre,

zero growth foams are recommended by uber , but i just used lightweight sponge foams and double taped em with gorrila tape,

i found the lighter the foam the less likely it was to blow a bead off,

• Thanks 1