• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ARRMA Kraton EXB - Extreme Bash Roller Speed Truck

Fly In My Soup

56 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well firstly, the plan changed entirely - i'm running a MMX8s with 1717/1650 now - decided to go a bit more all out. 

Generally, i guess. That's what Kratons, Kronos etc come with out of the box, but in case of the stock Kraton for example, it comes geared 12/50, with the optional high speed pinion being 15t. That can't be used offroad though. With that 1717 can (it's a 4885ish sized can) i can gear it 21/50, for around 70mph and that's offroad. It's just boatloads more power. That said, i've never liked the 2050 cans - they run absolutely on their limit in a Kraton. 

thanks for the reply

What does '1717' mean? I get how a 4072 is 40mm wide, 72mm long, what does 1717 or 2050 mean?

7 minutes ago, Guns said:

thanks for the reply

What does '1717' mean? I get how a 4072 is 40mm wide, 72mm long, what does 1717 or 2050 mean?

Sorry. The stock Kraton motor is 2050kv. 1717 is the "name" of castles 1650kv motor. 

https://www.castlecreations.com/castle-1717-1y-sensored-motor-1650kv-060-0081-00

The stock Kraton motor is 2050kv and 4274 sized - the 1717 is 1650kv and around 4885 in size. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Ah, I thought that mabve 1717 was 1.7" (as its American). I've personally never rated Castle stuff (other than their VERY FIRST stuff) so never gave them much time.

Fodo for thought however.... Only started looking at the EXB (As with my original choice..... Max 6 & 2200kv and a £50 Savox) came to less than a 4S Traxxas Maxx haha....

Then I carried on reading about the exploding diffs, so never mind!

5 minutes ago, Guns said:

Ah, I thought that mabve 1717 was 1.7" (as its American). I've personally never rated Castle stuff (other than their VERY FIRST stuff) so never gave them much time.

Fodo for thought however.... Only started looking at the EXB (As with my original choice..... Max 6 & 2200kv and a £50 Savox) came to less than a 4S Traxxas Maxx haha....

Then I carried on reading about the exploding diffs, so never mind!

No idea why they're named so stupid/confusing. 

That motor (together with the ESC it's supposed to go with) is probably the best available combo for 1/8th currently, if you can bare the price tag. By no means is this a "necessary" combo for the EXB, but i do want the data logging and smart sensored capabilities (it switches between sensored and sensorless on the fly), not to mention thermal protection for the motor since it's going to be somewhat of a wild build. 

In regards to the exploding diffs, that's fixed with the new batch. Though, it doesn't have an open rear anymore now, it runs an x1 LSD (centre and front are x3 LSD). The open rear was the problem, because tolerances in production were off so it wasn't shimmed correctly - which now with the LSD plates isn't necessary (or not more necessary than any other diff) anymore. I'm with you on that, that's the reason why i didn't buy a release EXB - but the second batch (12-16th of december) is fixed.

edit: i'd run the max6 with a 4985 in a Kraton EXB tbh. Much better. 

Edited by m4inbrain

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

Thanks!

Would a Max 6 fit? Its a chunky fella.....

Absolutely does, though requires a small modification in the tray. 

There's a lip on the ESC tray that you have to cut/dremel down, 2 minute job. Holes don't line up, so it's either double sided tape or you message @Paul Busby and have him print an adaptor plate. Or hell, if you decide to go down that route, now that i'm not gonna use the Max6 in the EXB, i'll send you mine. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Its a must for the Mojave and a Kraton with bigger motors, you are limited to a 23t pinion with the stock motor mount, I’m on a 22t already and the PPS mount will allow up to a 31t to be fitted 👍  

To be fair, 23t is over 70mph on the Kraton. My EXB is going to be a basher, not a speed running vehicle - i don't need to gear it for 80mph+. ;):)

• 3 weeks later...
The Max6 fits fine with a little work, this is the Mojave EXB, but it’s the same layout as the Kraton [emoji106] 

7658-B9-D1-1-C75-4115-9-F9-D-E3463239-E462.jpg
Actually the Mojave has a different layout. It has a rotated servo and as the front -> centre drive shaft is longer, it has more space for an ESC. I've managed to fit a max 5 on the Mojave chassis.

You can still fit a Max 6 in the Kraton fairly easily, just thought I would get my quota of pedantry in for the day.
That PPS mount is pretty sxy i have to say, hm..
I fitted one to my Kraton last night [emoji6]

It is superbly engineered and machined, the highest quality aftermarket parts I've bought.

I have been working on some prototypes for the fan mount btw [emoji106]

53 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I have been working on some prototypes for the fan mount btw emoji106.png

That's good to hear - it's getting urgent now, just got the dispatch email. EXB is gonna be here tomorrow. :D

8 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

:D

Partially your fault that i bought an X-Maxx, so lets call it even.

b982e8ca0cbc22890b21a7d1e2b9e2f2f8-finge

Deal

I can’t wait to see the wife face and get that look when it comes, oh well guess that’s me on the sofa 😂😂

20 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Deal

I can’t wait to see the wife face and get that look when it comes, oh well guess that’s me on the sofa 😂😂

Don't worry, we all be used to that. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

What's the score with the rear diff issues on these? Has it been sorted?

Yes and no. 

The first batch of the EXB had an open rear diff, which led to the problems (it wasn't designed as an open diff - it was designed as a limited slip diff, but they took the slip plates out, while not shimming them back up correctly). The "new" EXB (or rather, the second batch) doesn't ship with an open rear diff anymore, but has instead also a limited slip in the rear. Which, fingers crossed, means that they're not blowing apart anymore. 

Put this way: the fix for the "first gen" EXB was to shim the diff internally to the diameter of the missing LSD plates. The "second gen" diff has those LSD plates.

The front/centre diffs hold up well, so i'm pretty certain (of course not 100%, but certain enough to spend my money on it) that it'll be fine now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yes and no. 

The first batch of the EXB had an open rear diff, which led to the problems (it wasn't designed as an open diff - it was designed as a limited slip diff, but they took the slip plates out, while not shimming them back up correctly). The "new" EXB (or rather, the second batch) doesn't ship with an open rear diff anymore, but has instead also a limited slip in the rear. Which, fingers crossed, means that they're not blowing apart anymore. 

Put this way: the fix for the "first gen" EXB was to shim the diff internally to the diameter of the missing LSD plates. The "second gen" diff has those LSD plates.

The front/centre diffs hold up well, so i'm pretty certain (of course not 100%, but certain enough to spend my money on it) that it'll be fine now.

Your soon find out for sure I’ll be opening mine up to check before running it mind as you never know with Arrma 😂👍

20 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Actually the Mojave has a different layout. It has a rotated servo and as the front -> centre drive shaft is longer, it has more space for an ESC. I've managed to fit a max 5 on the Mojave chassis.

You can still fit a Max 6 in the Kraton fairly easily, just thought I would get my quota of pedantry in for the day.I fitted one to my Kraton last night emoji6.png

It is superbly engineered and machined, the highest quality aftermarket parts I've bought.

I have been working on some prototypes for the fan mount btw emoji106.png

I just bought a max6 so care to share the technique for fitting it, if there is one lol