• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys XR10

stimpy

Had this one for aeons.....

Missed out buying one the first time round 😭😭. Then a few years back found this one for sale, had been well set up by the previous owner who had comped this successfully back in the day !!... 

For those of you that don’t know, this is a Motor On Axle rig - the top tier in 2.2 Comp crawling.. As the title suggests we have 2 motors, 1 on each axle keeping weight low and giving us the ability to drive each axle individually which helps significantly with crawling...

Set up:

Axial XR10 Comp Carbon Chassis

XR10 axles

Team Brood Apocalypse 35t motors x 2

Sidewinder Micro Escs x 2

Hitec 7950th Servo

Castle BEC

Vanquish weight system

All electronics have been ‘smashed’ (basically all packaging removed and all units piled together then re covered)

Voodoo pins tyres

Heres some pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now when I picked the rig up the chap very kindly gave me another chassis! A Y Town Crawlers - Secret Agent.... A chassis and company that I have admired very much so I was overjoyed!!!

Shexy....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fast forward more than a few years to present time and whilst I was meant to be doing something else last weekend (The Capra)I got completely sidetracked........

Ooooppss!!

spacer.png

The rig was on the shelf as the motors had been sent off for some work and I’d been dreaming of this Y Town chassis.... After a few txts with my crawler buddy, that was it, I was hyped up and ready to get it done!!! 

I was going to need to extend some links and swap things around to fit this chassis.... 

spacer.png

A fair bit of faffing around!! The front links took forever!!!

Then she started taking shape....

spacer.png

Mmmmm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That was it.... I was Smitten!!!! Man this thing looked incredible!!!! Couldn’t stop staring!!!! 

Next my buddy talked me  through some basic set up hacks..... Moved the front links positions and set the preload way down on the shocks so I can suck the chassis down & back up when needed.... 

Which gave me this!:

spacer.png

95mm drop out clearance...

And

spacer.png

initially 54mm suck down belly height...... 

Evidently the newer chassis’ offer 40/90mm!! And this one could never get low enough due to link placement positions...

After a little bit more fettling ...... I managed to get 48mm suck down!!! Which is pretty respectable!! I could get it lower still a wee bit but I’d definitely need to bend up some different front and rear upper  links.....

That’ll do for now!! 

Some final perving pics!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Photos don’t do this rig justice!

Im in love!!! ❤️❤️❤️🥰🥰🥰

Now to get these motors back on!!!

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Proper nice mate, need to see that on the rocks please emoji16.png
We need more videos in here and scale.... Hint hint

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Get filming then man!!! 

Im sure we’ll get round to it sometime.... 

My boy did actually do some filming on an old digital camera but for some reason it just wasn’t compatible with the image host..... 

Hey ho... one day.... 

13 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Thanks man, you’ll have to build yourself an MOA next!... 

definitely. Yours looks like it could climb anything. My losi is having issues with overheating the motor I think it’s the axles binding up even though I grease them regularly ☹️

13 hours ago, Briclimb said:

definitely. Yours looks like it could climb anything. My losi is having issues with overheating the motor I think it’s the axles binding up even though I grease them regularly ☹️

The losis have so much friction in the worm gears.. That’s their forté bit also their weakness. 

What motor, pinion and esc are you running? 

19 minutes ago, stimpy said:

The losis have so much friction in the worm gears.. That’s their forté bit also their weakness. 

What motor, pinion and esc are you running? 

1080 reedy radion 2 16 turn and a 20 pinion I’ve ordered a 17 to see if that helps 

yeah I guessed the worm gear is high friction so I will put a grub screw in the casing to grease it easier I’m also thinking of swapping the axles for something else but not being able to see any other axles it’s hard to know what might fit

also the drive shafts are quite wobbly and clunky so probably need new ones of those, any recommendations? 

20t pinion on a 16t is pretty wild  tbh! You’d start around 14 normally and work down 👍

My last Losi ran an 11t with a brushless system....  That said I did run 3S so I get the extended rev range.... 

If it were me I’d stick with them axles they’re great - but do take some getting used to....

I can’t remember the rotation of shafts on the losi, but other axles that would fit would be anything around the same width with the same rotation and able to take a 4 link.... 

I only really know about Axial, and their offerings would be the AX10 or AR44 axles..... 

11 hours ago, Andy-Roo said:

That’s a hot little number you got there mate...could probably get over a fallen tree or two I reckon 😎.   I’d love to have a go when it’s up and running 🙏

You will mate I’m sure 👍

• Thanks 1

On 13/06/2020 at 17:57, stimpy said:

20t pinion on a 16t is pretty wild  tbh! You’d start around 14 normally and work down 👍

My last Losi ran an 11t with a brushless system....  That said I did run 3S so I get the extended rev range.... 

If it were me I’d stick with them axles they’re great - but do take some getting used to....

I can’t remember the rotation of shafts on the losi, but other axles that would fit would be anything around the same width with the same rotation and able to take a 4 link.... 

I only really know about Axial, and their offerings would be the AX10 or AR44 axles..... 

Cheers for that il get a much smaller pinion and see how it goes.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sat at Mercedes waiting on a delayed service.... zzzzzzzzz.... So time to catch up with all these threads!!!

Had a fab day up in Derby at The legendary Black Rocks a few months back...  Best rock I’ve ever driven so far!!... 

spacer.png

A very small section but we set up some gates here...

spacer.png

Had so much fun I forgot pics!! But here’s  a cheeky one 👍

After this I was hyped! And ordered up a load of phase 2.3457 components 😂😂

A large interlude occurred........ 😴

And so the goods had all arrived, some I had in stock already, some took aeons!... 

spacer.png

Holmes hobbies matched pair of Magnum Stubbies in 5 slot 16t flavour, HH Br-mini dual and an NSDRC direct feed servo 👍🥰

Now in the midst of all this a little RC business Carl and I were setting up had thrown some new opportunities around.... One of which will involve RC4wd and their Bully2 MOA Crawler, but more on that later! Sshhhh 😂

But as a result of this I had one of these arrivé:

spacer.png

A full Bully2 kit!! 

But I didn’t want to run that as standard and the parts for the bully project were still in prototyping early stages so I decided to use the body and links on my XR10 axles and fancy new shiny bits!... 

For the record, the Bully2 chassis is an excellent design with regards geometry and has a couple more tricks up its sleeve over my Y Town... That said there are improvements on sketch that we will be turning into reality at some time 👍

But for now I had all these bits!

spacer.png

Then the magic wand made an appearance - and alakazam!!! 

spacer.png

A bully2 was born!

spacer.png

Mmmmm 🥰 ( OK I’ll admit the Ytown still wins in the looks for me but this is still darn shexy!)

spacer.png

A very respectable 170g chassis and links and donkey skid!

Obviously the skid was modded!

Next up the tear down....

spacer.png

Uh oh!!! Ytown has been shelved 🙀

And then the Mastery of XR10 and Bully2  fusion ...

spacer.png

Ooof!! 

spacer.png

Oh yeah!

spacer.png
mmmm... And them motors are soo sweeeeet! ( Skid modded here - shortened and bent up the ends)..

Next was some sparky work... Even decased my rx initially but it didn’t work out any better than cased re the position and only saved 2g so recased it in the end.👻

spacer.png

Playing around...

spacer.png

Getting there.

spacer.png
And a respectable 1786g. I still have the skins to go on, but can save a little weight elsewhere so think she’ll end up at around 1800g tops 👍

At that stage I had a little drive... Hadn’t even set up the escs but them motors felt incredible!!!

So I still have a few jobs:

- Skins paint / create.

- Rear upper links lengthen and rotate axle some

- Sort out all the screws etc

- Retidy electrics / set in place properly

- Service or replace shocks

- Program escs

- Drive the hell out of it!!!!

So hopefully I get this done before the Bully2 project lands! 🙈

Wish me luck! 😂😂🦇

Thats all for now folks!! Keep on RCing!! 

• Like 3

HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOUR MAGNUM??

Almost forgot... 

spacer.png

Couldn’t go getting this shexy motor scratched so made some Carbon Fibre covers...

spacer.png

Mmmm 🥰

spacer.png

Had been planning this for some time but the magnums forced my hand before I scratched them!! 

👍😎👍😎👍😎👍😎

18 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Cor blimey guv’, your man cave is brimming with trick looking rigs 🙌 

An Uber cool bit of kit...bet that thing could defy gravity and creep on the ceiling! 

Hehe.. There's certainly a few around! And that's before the ones I can't yet show anyone!🤣 ( But soon hopefully..)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

So, a long old lay up.... Managed a few little test crawls and then another visit to Black Rocks the other month... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Was brilliant as always but proper cold that day even though it was meant to be summer! As a result the rock was not very grippy so I ended up driving my Scale LCG rig much more... 

Last time I had been here I had the Y Town chassis which I love, but this bully2 chassis have better options for rear links and it certainly showed in the success of clearing a few moves I had previously failed at 🤓👍.

Previous to this little trip I had finally quickly sprayed up the skins which in my normal way didn’t work out!! But this time instead of my obligatory pink 🙀 I went with black!! Was meant to have all sorts of cool snake silhouettes in but the paint bled so I just wiped the lot , brushed some silver glitter through then sprayed the black... Looks a bit poop but it’ll do!! 

So currently she sits like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still need to mess about with the rear some, and I may need another 10/20g up front but I’ll try get round adding that with tuning first... Whenever I get time ofcourse!!! 🙈

Oh, the rig is now running the Proline Ibex tyres off my sporty for now. That’s with the beadlock carbon faved comp wheels and Crawler Innovations foams 👍

• Like 1