• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbywing 1060.

Tug

So I've just fitted the ESC and it's not doing things quite right. If it's connected as per the book, forward is slower than reverse. If I switch the throttle to reverse on the Tx, then swap the motor cables over, it kinda runs OK. Is this going to harm the motor?

The other option could be a different set of radio gear?

The car only runs at full speed for about ten seconds, then slows. I don't think it's the LVC as it just keeps going, but slower. 

Thoughts?

Mine had a whinge with a stock 540 and a nimh battery, on both a lunchbox and an absima ab3.4. While you won't knacker the things running the other way around, they're a garbage esc. No doubt the more expensive ones are better but this one's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Look at the led when it starts to run slow. That'll tell you whether it's actually lvc or not.

I bought the capacitor kit but I don't want to fit it as it'll lose the waterproofness

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Shame, everyone I asked said fit the 1060. 

I did watch the LED, nothing there. If it was LVC, it should have cut power altogether, but it just kept going. 

Just tried it with a full lipo and it ran fine, no issues. Motor had a hotspot of 93C, oopsie! 😂

Steering is now glitching like a pig, so it's either a new servo or swap radio gear. 

Mine would run fine until it ran slow. Motor and esc were cold. Not overheating/thermal cut out. It just ran slow until I turned it off and on again.
Loads of videos and comments about these esc doing this. Calling it limp mode.

• Thanks 1

1060 is one of the best little brushed ESCs on the market.

Where did you get it from Clive?

If it were new from a shop, I'd contact them about the going slow thing, running it either way won't harm anything.

It sounds faulty, which would indeed be unlucky.

Just to be sure,  yougot the jumps right for running lipo?

• Thanks 1

Brushed doesn't care. Put voltage one way it spins one way, put voltage in the other way, spins the other way.

Lipo mode does nothing fancy. All it does is enable low voltage cut off. You can run it in Nimh mode with a lipo, but you'd want an alarm.

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2020 at 17:59, Tug said:

So I've just fitted the ESC and it's not doing things quite right. If it's connected as per the book, forward is slower than reverse. If I switch the throttle to reverse on the Tx, then swap the motor cables over, it kinda runs OK. Is this going to harm the motor?

The other option could be a different set of radio gear?

The car only runs at full speed for about ten seconds, then slows. I don't think it's the LVC as it just keeps going, but slower. 

Thoughts?

The motor likely has advanced timing. If you application to make the motor drive the car forwards, ''forwards'' on the ESC side is negative timing. The problem is the chassis design and/or motor. What motor is it? Rebuildable motors can be assembled with the endbell rotated to give advanced timing in the correct direction. But if its not rebuildable a different motor or chassis is the solution.

12 hours ago, Garry said:

The motor likely has advanced timing. If you application to make the motor drive the car forwards, ''forwards'' on the ESC side is negative timing. The problem is the chassis design and/or motor. What motor is it? Rebuildable motors can be assembled with the endbell rotated to give advanced timing in the correct direction. But if its not rebuildable a different motor or chassis is the solution.

Cheers, but only understood half of that. Never had much involvement with brushed. 

7 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Can you use 3s lipo with the 1060? 

Apparently so, maybe I should try that? 

33 minutes ago, Tug said:

Cheers, but only understood half of that. Never had much involvement with brushed. 

Not every brushed motor has adjustable timing, hence why I asked which motor you had. If its got fixed timing then you'll need a different motor. What chassis is it also? 

Edited by Garry
  • Thanks 1

Whats a decent brushed alternative to the 1060? Can the 1060 be used for non crawlers as well? Spec wise it seems a bit beefier, and it mentions 3A constant / 6A burst BEC, whereas the 1060 mentions nothing on burst.