• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dartmoor builds a Capra

DartmoorTrails

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

Best get a build thread, piccies or both on that Alcista!... 

Would be happy to if you think it would be of interest. Started off with a box stock Capra kit and it's gone off on a tangent somewhat 😅 Having several dedicated rock rigs in our local group has us getting almost grown up about tyres, balance and geometry 😂😂

Sorry to derail again DartmoorTrails, really enjoying seeing your project evolve too 

Looks great man, hopefully see you out on the rocks again soon! 

I've ran portal weights on the rear back to back without and found the balance better with just the front fitted. Many others disagree [emoji1787] Am shooting for 65/35 balance and hopefully once the new chassis and front electrics plate is here It'll be thereabouts, targeting 2.5kg overall.

If your looking for a high clearance skid, I've had good experiences ordering from IntheworksRC (my skid fitted is from them) and Spare Time Hobbies. All the good stuff is in the States right now..

Would be interested in a back to back between your Hyrax's and Rock Beasts. Personally, love to hate the Hyrax's but they've been my go-to choice for dry conditions for years..

Edit, if you want to go a bit further, take a look at the Krazed Alcista comp chassis. Hopefully be able to give you some feedback in a week or two [emoji846]
No worry mate,. hijack away [emoji106]

I had a look at the krazed stuff today funnily enough. Was checking a sporty build thread on RCC which used Capra axles and in thinking the same for mine but going between that and ar60's right now!

I'm told my wheels could be up to a month away so might fit those Hyrax to something else just so I can go play!

I've had a pair of g6 Hyrax 2.2 for about 2 or so years and they never performed well for me so I'm hoping the new predator compound does the job. They certainly looked the real deal when we went sheeps tor!

Keen to see what yours is like with the new toys [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Rtsbasic said:

Would be happy to if you think it would be of interest. Started off with a box stock Capra kit and it's gone off on a tangent somewhat 😅 Having several dedicated rock rigs in our local group has us getting almost grown up about tyres, balance and geometry 😂😂

Sorry to derail again DartmoorTrails, really enjoying seeing your project evolve too 

Definitely mate. Be nice to have some UK builds actually on a UK forum rather than RCC... I'm building a sporty at the moment but not had time yet to post it, and also done a chassis swap on my MOA.... A buddy has built the Alcista before and enjoyed it - but ultimately found the portals the limitation for him personally (He's a pure MOA comp dude)..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

No worry mate,. hijack away emoji106.png

I had a look at the krazed stuff today funnily enough. Was checking a sporty build thread on RCC which used Capra axles and in thinking the same for mine but going between that and ar60's right now!

I'm told my wheels could be up to a month away so might fit those Hyrax to something else just so I can go play!

I've had a pair of g6 Hyrax 2.2 for about 2 or so years and they never performed well for me so I'm hoping the new predator compound does the job. They certainly looked the real deal when we went sheeps tor!

Keen to see what yours is like with the new toys emoji106.png

Personally I think putting AR60s on the Capra would be a bit of a back step and take its character. AR60s on a lighter chassis or sporty certainly makes sense to me. That said it would look cool with them on but I guess you may swell just have a bomber then..... Which iirc was where you were before this!! hehe...

9 hours ago, stimpy said:

Personally I think putting AR60s on the Capra would be a bit of a back step and take its character. AR60s on a lighter chassis or sporty certainly makes sense to me. That said it would look cool with them on but I guess you may swell just have a bomber then..... Which iirc was where you were before this!! hehe...

That's what I meant mate - put the 60s on the sporty in place of the  SSD AR44s. These limit the steering too much and I think the 60's would give me better UD/OD options plus ay more I expect!

Yep - the sale of the Bomber funded the Capra. Pleased I made the swap, the Capra is so much lighter to carry to crawl spots🤣

• Haha 2

Yeah they’re soooo light them placcy wheels! The hyraxs are also pretty light for what they are. 

Is that weight with or without battery? 

Have you done another ramp test since weighting? 

Looks good there buddy!! Them plastic rims so easily overlooked. Real light that is.

All this axle talk has me thinking of left over parts and pondering reusing the Capra cage with some ar44's and an ax10 gearbox. Am quite confident there would only be minimal fitment details to resolve... And STH do a skid plate for such occasions...

4 hours ago, Rtsbasic said:

Looks good there buddy!! Them plastic rims so easily overlooked. Real light that is.

All this axle talk has me thinking of left over parts and pondering reusing the Capra cage with some ar44's and an ax10 gearbox. Am quite confident there would only be minimal fitment details to resolve... And STH do a skid plate for such occasions...

You've already got it planned out by the sounds of it:)

Planning a beach day Saturday so may sneak the Capra into the van when no-one's looking!

@stimpy - without the battery, but they're only 1600 mah so light as a feather really!

Without changing out the links and making unecessary mods thats as low as it's going to go.

Bear in mind she's carryig two 'full' size servo's now! Incidentally, the DIG servo mount and servo itself, are behaving tremendously well. I should patent that!

procrawler.eu is about to start shipping apparently. damn expensive mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stimpy said:

Have you done another ramp test since weighting? 

61!

Then she flipped so defo not the tyres fault. might need me some overdrive;)

Had a quick pootle in the garden and she went very well up one of my steeper rocks which has a slight overhang and the taller tyre makes that way easier than the Rock Beasts so i'm pretty excited to get trying them out this weekend.

16 minutes ago, DartmoorTrails said:

61!

Then she flipped so defo not the tyres fault. might need me some overdrive;)

Had a quick pootle in the garden and she went very well up one of my steeper rocks which has a slight overhang and the taller tyre makes that way easier than the Rock Beasts so i'm pretty excited to get trying them out this weekend.

OD gears posted mate! 1st class recorded so you should see it tamara all being well 👍

Re the lifting front, my buddy reckons the rear link geo is poop on the Capra! And as a result one gets too much traction in the rear which will obviously lift the front in turn... 

He reckoned you can make it better but cannot fix it without insane surgery. Mine will be taking this geo into account and we’ll see what I can get when it’s back together...  Whenever that may be!!... 😂

Oh - and a 1600 is gonna be ever so slightly ( massively) heavier than a feather 👍

Perhaps Big Bird?? 🤪

Edited by stimpy
  • Haha 1

The geometry isn't great at the back. Very little link separation and the shocks could do with sitting further inboard at the top too.

On the standard setup I think the anti squat is fairly neutral. Not so much caster in the front knuckles either. But always more potential [emoji846]

That said, most of my understanding comes more from racing side of the hobby, still learning the voodoo of multi link setups [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Yeah me too. I’m no whizz but very interested and understand it. A buddy of mine is a pro and I’ve been trying to learn more from him. 

Cant wait to try some of the changes on my base climbs 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mendip with SST soon enough [emoji106] are you going? We'll be there on the Saturday.

I’m going, but have booked in for the Sunday. Saturdays are pretty much off limits to me, something about family time blah blah kids etc [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk