• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dartmoor builds a Capra

DartmoorTrails

58 minutes ago, Andy-Roo said:

Oh no, what a pita!  The rig looks great though! Are the headlights not working because the 1080 doesn’t have an Aux to power them? 

They're not working cause I haven't put bulbs in!

I should do that really..... Not got any spare but I could do with a batch of 3mm and 5mm in 'stock'.

Feel better about the servo this morning, at least it did this  when at home and not out on the trail!

I'm going to sort endpoints on the Tower servo before installing as near as I can so there's literally no stress on it when I install proper.

Then I might spend a few hours researching what's the beefiest mini servo around!

Oh; I hadn't bent the steering link so need to do that as it's limiting the travel.

Rain's forecast so might not get up the moor:(

Oh, I see said the blind man 😂

Beefiest mini servo? Reefs micro 99. I tried to post a link, but links just don’t work for me on this forum. 

Edited by Andy-Roo

What a s*#t servo!!! I have the poopy spekky unit and abused the hell out of it and that ain’t broke.... Though tbf it also doesn’t do the job properly!! 

In part I believe this is due to the flex in the mounts... Will confirm this once I’ve re set it all up..... 

Have fun on the first test drive! 

One hour later and the replacement servo is in, less torque and half the price than the Savox but woks aok without chattering at me constantly!

In fairness i've no idea how much i'll use the DIG but it's there should I need!

Saw that Reefs 99 @Andy-Roo and then someone else chimed in with this; http://www.hobbyclub.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1776

I believe Reef just rebadge this one?

10Kg @ 7.4v! Yes please!!

Will check out fitment and where I can get either that, or something similar for a spare.

Might try venting with the boots still on now...

Those servos are McGregor units - look on the servo shop he certainly stocks that manufacturer...

As to the dig, it’s learning how and when to use it. I was obsessed in getting it working in a 3 pos mode but in reality there are very very few instances that one may use it to freewheel the rear - almost never!... 

But the locked function can be used regularly to ; increase turning radius, stabilise the rear on a descent and hang from rear, and let the front bite better down on a climb or ledge.... 

If one ran very soft suspension, then you could use it to suck down the body also and this in turn puts tension between the front and rear wheels and this more bite - this is used lots with MOA rigs.... 

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Those servos are McGregor units - look on the servo shop he certainly stocks that manufacturer...

As to the dig, it’s learning how and when to use it. I was obsessed in getting it working in a 3 pos mode but in reality there are very very few instances that one may use it to freewheel the rear - almost never!... 

But the locked function can be used regularly to ; increase turning radius, stabilise the rear on a descent and hang from rear, and let the front bite better down on a climb or ledge.... 

If one ran very soft suspension, then you could use it to suck down the body also and this in turn puts tension between the front and rear wheels and this more bite - this is used lots with MOA rigs.... 

Cheers mate.

I opted for 2 position only for now !

Wow! Blew me away mate. You are very lucky indeed to live in / near sick a location.... 

Andy - we’re gonna have to do a Dartmoor trail day when this shizzle is over!!! 

Oh- and you won’t regret KLRs or hyraxs..... ( though I personally have not tested the hyrax - been order for months now 🙈 but a buddy has and rates them).. 

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Wow! Blew me away mate. You are very lucky indeed to live in / near sick a location.... 

Andy - we’re gonna have to do a Dartmoor trail day when this shizzle is over!!! 

You could take over this whole stone barn for less than a ton a night:

Great Houndtor Camping Barn- a stone tent!

Sleeps 14

Costs £7 a night per person

(Or £98 for the whole barn, sole use)

It's less than a mile from the Tor;)

You'd seriously want more than a day though as once you saw Bone hill rocks (~2 miles away) you'd be salivating and of course Haytor and Haytor quarry.

I can never uderstand why I don't see these places festooned with crawlers! Mental.

• Like 1

Flat Irons achieved 59 degrees.
The Pitbull have the best foams, CI and are the smallest of the lot which I think made a difference between the Irons as they're quite tall so pushed the Capra higher.
No overdrive or weights yet.

Might stick the sporty up the plank with its massive jconcept ruptures later, I'm reckoning in plus 70 degrees.

What numbers you got@stimpy ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hehe, good on ya!! 

Love a bit of science!

I only tested with Some old 2.2s on So much higher cog...  With that it only made 60 degrees iirc... 

Not making excuses, but also remember that is with an 850mah pack so will also have less weighting to front.... 

But anything in the 60s is pretty good tbh, in the real world (RC 😂) that number isn’t everything  👍