• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice on motor for SCX 10 II

On 28/05/2020 at 18:52, CarlC said:

If your paying £400 to £600 for your crawler, in my opinion, £25 for the main drive component is cheap, I would never use an £8 chinese motor.

I've got a sealed can Holmes Motor here (21t Trailmaster Sport 550) and some of my rigs owe me more than double what you've quoted, but every one of my rigs at this point now are running a Chinese motor.
IMO the top of the range Holmes motors can't be beaten for quality and performance and John does a lot for the Hobby and is a great guy.
But from my experience their budget sealed can motors don't perform any better than the Chinese motors that cost a fraction of the price.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore said:

I've got a sealed can Holmes Motor here (21t Trailmaster Sport 550) and some of my rigs owe me more than double what you've quoted, but every one of my rigs at this point now are running a Chinese motor.
IMO the top of the range Holmes motors can't be beaten for quality and performance and John does a lot for the Hobby and is a great guy.
But from my experience their budget sealed can motors don't perform any better than the Chinese motors that cost a fraction of the price.

Respect your opinion, the great thing is we have the options that allows us to build and run what we believe is the best options/setup for ourselves. All in all we are pretty lucky to be able to do that. 

I don't know crawling, But I think it's the same across this hobby, People a scared, Or apprehensive to recommend anything that's not the norm, been like that since I can remember.

You wanted an ESC back in the day, Castle, Don't even think of recommending one of them clone Hobbywing things, Want a motor, Castle Neu, Don't talk to me about them cheap clone Leopard motor.

It's like the other thread I replied to about a buggy, The Hyper VS got recommended, I recommended a Thunder Tiger that was the same price, Better specked, come with free wheels and arms, And just as strong and reliable as the Hyper, Got passed over as if it never existed, If it was a Hyper, It would be the bargain buggy of all bargains.

Like I said, No nothing about crawling, But Holmes are where Castle was, Where Neu was, Where Savox was, But like myself, Many got bargain Hobbywing and Leopard motors back in the day, I get people can only recommend what they know, But if they only know one thing, It's no recommendation.

• Like 3

Some interesting reading here guys, especially as I’ve been looking at motors the last couple weeks,

im currently building a trx4 that I got a trail master sport 550 for, also got a CrawlMaster ordered but it’s on backorder for my element

my son has/had 😂 a goolRC 35t motor in his scx10ii, that motor only lasted 1 run before it burnt out

looking forward to see what the Holmes motors are like.

• Like 1