• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Trx4 sport motor?

Hey guys,

so my wife taken a like to the crawlers that much that she’s picked and ordered a trx4 sport kit,

luckily I get to build and pick what goes in it 😊 and she pays, can’t grumble at that

its going to have the HW1080 esc, not sure on the servo yet, maybe a savox waterproof one

but really my question is to the motor, I wanted to use a Holmes hobby motor but there’s loads of different ones?

im looking at the sealed one, in the £20-£25 range

but 540, 550, trail master, crawl master, 27t 35t 🤷🏼‍♂️
I don’t know  ha ha

i know the 5 slot is meant to be smoother, but not sure on the other bits

Thanks guys 👍

Not an expert on the TRX but I know the RTR motor - the Titan is a 550 so most folk tend to run one of them. iirc one normally drops a turn type / amount for a 550 so what would be 35 in a 540 would end up 27tn in the 550. This is due to the longer windings making more torque but spinning at slower rpms.

As to 5 vs 3 slot - The 5 will start up smoother, the 3 has more drag brake hold. Then TrailMaster vs CrawlMaster - the clue is in the name!! hehe... So if general trailing pick the first, if more crawl or want smoother then CrawlMaster. The difference is in where and how the torque is generated....

All that said, I'm sure someone who actually knows your best bet will be along shortly!!! 

• Like 1

Mine runs the 21t Trailmaster, that's the most commonly suggested back when the 5 pole stuff wasn't out yet. I have no personal experience with the 5 pole motors (other than a 540 Crawlmaster Pro in my Trail King), but assuming it's the usual HH quality, it's the Crawlmaster Sport 12t you want. 

Both 550 cans.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Thanks guys

yeah I know nothing about the Traxxas either

my crawler just has a cheap gool rc 35t motor in

going to order a trailmaster sport 27t 550

edit= we do more walking/driving with them, up the odd bank, over the tree roots and whatever rock or obstacle along the way rather than all out crawling  

Edited by jjh23