• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Steering needing trimmed alot + distance not great.

Richbogle

I have a cupla small issues with my tamiya neo scorcher, as title says I have to keep farting around trimming the steering 1 min it's straight then it's not, constantly trimming it to get car to go straight.. The other issue is when the car gets a little distance it starts to go abit mad, steers itself ect. May I add that the reciever , steering servo and transmitter I'm using are the same ones that I used as a teenager 🤭🤭 I'm now 34. Jst recently got bk in2 RC. Could any of these parts be causing this you guys recon? 

1 hour ago, Richbogle said:

I have a cupla small issues with my tamiya neo scorcher, as title says I have to keep farting around trimming the steering 1 min it's straight then it's not, constantly trimming it to get car to go straight.. The other issue is when the car gets a little distance it starts to go abit mad, steers itself ect. May I add that the reciever , steering servo and transmitter I'm using are the same ones that I used as a teenager 🤭🤭 I'm now 34. Jst recently got bk in2 RC. Could any of these parts be causing this you guys recon? 

I've still got my first proportional set that I too got as a teenager, but I'm nearly 73 now! still works fine, although not in general use.  Nothing wrong with the old crystal sets (although FM more reliable than AM). Admittedly, I tend to use 2.4Ghz mainly (I have 35 sets - I prefer one transmitter to each model), but only for the convenience of not having to worry about frequency clashes and the shorter aerial. I still have about 30 of the  40Mhz FM sets and quite lot of 27Mhz, which I would happily use.

If it is the original servo, the pot that reports the servo position may well be suffering from degradation with age (I know how it feels). If that is the case it may be drifting over time quite badly, which could be causing your neutral position to shift. May be worth trying another servo, although I would also look to get a 2.4Ghz radio. I used to be a 27 Mhz user but 2.4Ghz is so easy and reliable I would never go back now. And they are cheap too.

20 minutes ago, Shudson said:

I've still got my first proportional set that I too got as a teenager, but I'm nearly 73 now! still works fine, although not in general use.  Nothing wrong with the old crystal sets (although FM more reliable than AM). Admittedly, I tend to use 2.4Ghz mainly (I have 35 sets - I prefer one transmitter to each model), but only for the convenience of not having to worry about frequency clashes and the shorter aerial. I still have about 30 of the  40Mhz FM sets and quite lot of 27Mhz, which I would happily use.

Wow 😊😊 that's fantastic u still have your stuff from you wer gounger and ur 73 now? That is fantastic well done to you 👍 love a wee story like that brilliant

2 hours ago, Richbogle said:

Wow 😊😊 that's fantastic u still have your stuff from you wer gounger and ur 73 now? That is fantastic well done to you 👍 love a wee story like that brilliant

Also, still have the boat that I won National and Regional speed championships in early 70s   and the boat I got as part of my 21st. Birthday present, that I won many competitions with and both engines (OPS .60 and Rossi .60) still run, but not used in anger for many years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richbogle said:

Hi!

I had the same exact issues with my 30+ year old Tamiya Hornet, which I recently got working again  - old servos were constantly jittering. 

I ended up ordering some digital bits and pieces from here, which cured all my issues :

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/radio-control/rc-systems/carson-radios/

:)

Edited by deans6571