• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High Roller - VS4-10 Chassis kit build.

Thank @DartmoorTrails 👍

I’ve kinda got the bug for it and am looking at possible designs for my next build. 
My 10.2 is in line for a cosmetic makeover as well, that will include a new, lighter cage along with a new body.  So plenty more opportunities to sharpen my brazing skills are on the horizon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

It really does look like you’re getting the hang of this brazing lark! Looks really cool.

There must be a good satisfaction level with brazing - proper ‘I made this!’ stuff.

Thanks mate.  It is very satisfying seeing it take shape, a bit like the weathering process. Definitely my favourite parts of this build. 

30 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Mate you've really worked this brazing out. Looking fantastic buddy 👍

Cheers Seb. It’s a lot of fun mate, you should give it a go yourself...I reckon you’d come up with something special 👍

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

credit where credit due   you have done awesome job there the rust did look a bit otp but when the that cage added it looks just right 🍻

I thought the same thing. It’s easy to get carried away because the rust, and weathering in general adds so much depth you kinda get sucked into it.  
I’m already thinking about the next build and how I can improve on this one....

Oh no...think I’ve become an addict! 🤪 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all..

I took the Yota on a family day out to Frinton-On-Sea. There’s a bunch of granite bolder’s strung out on the beach as part of the sea defences, and are a good spot for some tiny trucking. So I would have been rude not too 😁

E0gzAkl.jpg

53cj4A1.jpg

lTcxNWd.jpg
mklfx4s.jpg

The cage worked perfectly and took a good few tumbles, with just some paint being scratched off. Those areas have started to rust nicely now, really adding to the overall look. 

HJfGk9N.jpg

Frinton-On-Sea. The land of the giants! 

MgycNlT.jpg

GehPFvO.jpg

Unfortunately the fun didn’t last long with the Yota. About halfway through the first pack I lost drive to the front wheels and on inspection I found a UJ on the Punisher shaft and come apart.  

I did have my 10.2 with me though, so the fun was resumed.

XSbZ2up.jpg

The offending driveshaft. 
I couldn’t remember where I’d bought it from but after going through several online accounts I found I’d got it from Modelsport.  MS were brilliant and replaced it under warranty. So a big thank you to MS for sorting it out 👍

hy0Plw3.jpg

So now the Yota was back in action I took it for a quick run over at Earls Pond, in Epping Forest.  The LSTR guys use the area for their comps, although I’m not sure on the exact spot.  I found some nice features to have a go at though..

eEodVQq.jpg
1SG6CqZ.jpg

However, about 10 mins into the run the new Punisher shaft gave up again with the exact same problem. 

OAGT4MY.jpg

These clearly can’t handle brushless power. The rear driveshaft is an SSD one and is giving me no issues at all, and the only reason I used the Punisher on the front was because they make one in the size I need - and SSD doesn’t. 
So it seems the way forward is to get an SSD one that is too long and cut it down.
I have also considered the Axial HD driveshafts but being plastic I’m don’t if they’d twist with my ‘big block’ power under the hood.

Does anyone have an opinion on that? 

Anyways, other the driveshaft issue the Yota runs really well...would just like some more time using it 🙈

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

That looked really good on the rocks :thumbsup:

Pity about the shaft breaking tho damm nuisance :(

Thanks! 👍

Yeah, the driveshaft issue is a nuisance . Hopefully once it’s sorted I’ll get no other problems 🤞

2 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

If you can wait for shipping and stomach the cost a MIP shaft would best mate emoji106.png
The plastic may be ok for a short time, perhaps loosen off the slipper a tad?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info DT.
I hadn’t considered MIP, but I’ll have a look to see if they do one in the size I need 👍

Oh, I forgot to add that the VP transmission doesn’t have a slipper, it’s locked. 

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 1

Quick question - I'm hoping to answer this myself...

Why cut down both sleeve and shaft, rather than just shaft?

Is it so there is the maximum contact between the larger diameter part of the shaft and the sleeve? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Quick question - I'm hoping to answer this myself...

Why cut down both sleeve and shaft, rather than just shaft?

Is it so there is the maximum contact between the larger diameter part of the shaft and the sleeve? 

The shaft has a wider section at UJ end that doesn’t fit into the sleeve section. So I had to reduce both sections to get the right overall length. I hope that makes sense.