• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High Roller - VS4-10 Chassis kit build.

Morning all.

So, fitting the Ham into the VS...
When I first offered the tranny up to the skid it seemed like a straight forward instal, until I realised that the motor would foul the rear chassis braces and the rear bulkhead of the cab.  Hmmm 🤔 

Luckily the skid on the VS can be mirrored, ie - motor forward. 

First install - no dice.

gvdQ09z.jpg

Mirroring the skid was easy with just a small amount of disassembly 🙈

PK42SSm.jpg

Now the motor will sit at the front. Perfect 👍

xstgVbF.jpg

Fitting the motor this way did mean I had to lose the across the rails battery tray. 

igiYqmS.jpg

AqzGorY.jpg

Setting the mesh on the 48dp pinion is quite tricky with the Ham in place, so this really needs doing out of the truck. Not very user friendly, but once it’s set I shouldn’t need to remove it that often (assuming the gearing is right). 

wov20qO.jpg
fwbjee2.jpg

With the whole assembly fitted I found there was some ‘flex’ which I wasn’t happy with. At first I thought it was the weight of the motor pulling on the Hams CF chassis, but then realised it was in fact just the tranny ‘rocking’ on a screw moulding on the skid.

I already had the VS transmission spacer fitted but I had some others I’d got from Shapeways, so with the thinnest one fitted the Ham was lifted just enough to clear that pesky problem. 

GXntgym.jpg

Khq5ujj.jpg

So with a bit of effort it’s in and sitting low enough to clear the interior I think, although I may have to turn the motor so the wires are on the side. Time will tell on that score. 

dLoZ3DB.jpg

hNxGdGf.jpg

I’ve started on the body next so I can see exactly what room I have for the ESC and battery, but more about that, next time. 

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

"The Hamburger" by DLUX....... Refined by Andy to "ACTUALLY" work!!!!

Such a shame DLUX is just not on the program at the mo.....

Like you, I did expect better from Dlux, but hopefully the Ham will perform and I’ll forget the issues 🤞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

I'd have presumed DLUX would be right up their in terms of quality.

I've had knuckles off Eric before without any issues. possibly a one off issue.

Good you got it working though, be interested to see (hear!) what it sounds like when all buttoned up;)

That’s what I was expecting, but I know there’s been others with issues Recently, so maybe something has changed at Dlux.
I’m not trying to knock Dlux, just saying it how I see it. 

I think the Ham is probably going to be whiny...which I may or may not find annoying 🤔

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mond said:

Looks a little exposed. Can't help but think a 3d printed cover would help with longevity.

Yes, that’s the down side of a lightweight, comp spec trans. But I need it sitting as low as possible for clearance of the interior, so a cover wouldn’t work.  It’s fair to say this transmission saga has caused me a few headaches..and I’m sure it ain’t done with me yet 🤪

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning folks! 

Sorry it’s been a while since the last update -  life has been taking up most of my time of late, but I’ve been chipping away at it whenever possible. 

So, picking up where I left off....finding a home for the ESC.  

Plan A
As I wasn’t planning on using the rear battery mount that came in the VS kit, I was hoping to mod part of it so the ESC could be housed there instead.  On first mockup it looked like a winner, but when I tried fitting the body it was clear this position just wasn’t gonna work 👎

The rear battery tray mount..

EMD49vT.jpg

This looked bob on for mounting the ESC..

nyWypFT.jpg

Although the fan would cause hight issues..

IeEvTiZ.jpg

I made a simple plate and removed the fan (I’d deal with heat issues as and when necessary) 

bXD9Fvh.jpg

Looking good so far..

T3TdjNd.jpg

But when I fitted the body with the interior in place it was clear this wasn’t going to work without cutting another clearance hole in the interior.

S6gbwpS.jpg

I did try lowering the mount with spacers but could only go so far without fouling the rear driveshaft..

GezWtWK.jpg

But that still didn’t give me the space I needed..

FnV9V9o.jpg

It was at this point I realised I was barking up the wrong tree with this idea 👎

Plan B

So now I’m looking at mounting the ESC on a slider, but they don’t really lend themselves to the new idea and I need make a platform to bridge the gap..

Not having the right thickness Acetal I glue two pieces together and then glue those into place on the slider..

dnm9OtA.jpg
iP8Thcl.jpg

fPOhz27.jpg

Mounted in its new home..

LCAV5Cv.jpg

Next up..fitting the Holmes v3 servo. This thing is a beast 💪

qoWRLIF.jpg

It’s slowly.....very slowly, coming together.  Unknowingly, I’d actually mounted it in the winch position at this point 🙈

RBYQcoe.jpg

It was at this point that things went a bit sideways. I tried mounting the servo from underneath which caused some problems, like damaging the servo wires which then needed to be repaired Doh! 🤪

So over the next day or so I repaired the wires, ordered another servo horn with a higher profile and eventually got the servo fitted and the link geometry sorted so the steering worked as it should.  
Big thanks to @CarlC and @stimpy for their help with this! 👍

TBC..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Nice and neat! At the weekend I paid the price for not tying up my stuff properly when I nearly burned through an on/off cable for an ESC when it rubbed along the tarmac...

I’d have cut the on/off switch off and wired it permanently on, but being HW it has the program button incorporated so it has to stay, unfortunately.  Cable ties are priceless 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Such a shame about the Ham transmission but glad you could get the rig running. 

Looking forward to seeing the work on the bodywork!

It’s very disappointing, but I’m sure I’ll be able to sort the problem out with a shim or two. I’m hoping to use it in a lightweight, low CoG build that I’m planning 🤞

• Like 1