• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hellhorn herja chassis development journey

Hell horn.

• Hell horn. changed the title to Hellhorns crazy sporty class monstrosity.

What else to do when you have a day off after Christmas. Work on a custom chassis for this to lose the body part.  Make 2 prototype made. 1.5mm Carbon sheet ordered.  

For now. A 2mm lexan sheet to make a basic one. Might make it a 3 part one once carbon arrives 

IMG_20201227_122424.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hell horn. said:

I will use a p clip and a body post mounted to each cross brace. Simple. 

dont want to derail the thread, but how will you mount the post to the crossrail?

So more tinkering with this today. Its definitely getting better and better.  And. Closer to being finished. Mini t springs on order.  Few more ideas on options for it. Tomorrow I need to adjust shock hight. Get it sitting a bit lower 

On 27/12/2020 at 11:06, Hell horn. said:

Adjusted the shocks to make it sit a little bit higher.  

IMG_20201227_110503.jpg

IMG_20201227_110454.jpg

I see you found one of them new fangled measuring devices!!

OK, so I suspect that at this height your rig will not suck down. I would try something like 45mm then drop out as high as you can in relation to this.

If when you drive your truck forward it does not suck all the way down no matter how soft you run it then raise it till it does work. This will give you the most useable suck down with the largest drop out / break over 👍

( Oh, will be in touch re wheels asap I promise!)..

• Haha 1

Bit of small work done to this. Made the carbon bits a little nicer. Still need to do the center brace.  Make some body mounts.  And print some mini t spring mounts. If I can get my printer to behave That is.  Then see how it drives and adjust. From there. 

IMG_20210104_130352.jpg

IMG_20210104_130343.jpg

IMG_20210104_130339.jpg

IMG_20210104_130336.jpg

IMG_20210104_130252.jpg

• Like 1

Found a nicer body. Well it's an old basher. But good for a test run. Badly cut up. But it fits. 2 simple mounts. Cut done a ton.  Need to have a google at single cab body's. As this is a long one. I'm happy with this. 

IMG_20210110_200217.jpg

IMG_20210110_200201.jpg

IMG_20210110_200158.jpg

• Like 3

So a small update for the car. I was looking for spring opinions.  Went and had a look at all my cars. And the maverick ion mt looked tempting. So pulled springs off that. Perfect fit. But a tad hard. So need to keep looking for options. But for now.  They are fitted and look much nicer then before. 

IMG_20210114_175047.jpg

• Like 1

Been at it again. Now on to mark 5 shock mounts. Lol.   New carbon bits cut and modded for the rear  much nicer feeling now. And once my shorter shocks arrive I think they will fit spot on. 

Next job is to make some nicer front ones. 

IMG_20210120_101242.jpg

IMG_20210120_101237.jpg

• Like 2

I wing it. Lol. Masking tape on the carbon sheet. Then mark out the old bits I made.   And resize and adjust it. Cut it out with a dremal cutting disk. Fix both together. Drill the holes out. And sand them both together so they match. Test fit it. If its off and not going to work. Do it all again. Bit of work involved. But  nothing crazy. Once its right. Glue the edges and fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

But of an update to this.   Made chassis mark 3. Much nicer then last one. Still needs adjustments made.  £10 and a few hours of cutting and sanding later. We have this 

IMG_20210409_155130.jpg

IMG_20210409_155123.jpg

• Like 1