• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Baja Build

Ninetiesbeard

Todays work consisted of more de-anodizing of aluminium components, fitting of previously ordered parts and a test fit of the motor mount. I have lost a brace for the chassis/engine so im debating on making one or trying to order one. Its only small, but i had to work some aluminium today which has left me not wanting to do that again for a while, lol. I had to file the locating lugs off of the turtle clutch case to use it with this motor mount system, as it locates on a flat face. Its a bit sacrilegious, but doesnt affect its functionality if i went back to petrol. The rear chassis plate is bent i think, nothing seems to want to line up easily. It can be forced in, which i think i will when im ready to final fix it. The aluminium round stock i ordered for the motor mount cross braces didnt turn up before i left work  yesterday which means i have to wait until next time i am off in 8 days. Rats. Otherwise the buggy is starting to take on a nice form, ill drop a few photos here below.

IMG_5249.jpg.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

• Like 3

So today i set about making the mounting plate adapter to join the surpass motor to the speed passion mount. I used some random aluminium stock i had, which i believe to be quite old and a pretty nice alloy. I had to do all of the work by hand as i dont have a lathe, so it took around 6 hours to complete. I used some old stock 4BA fasteners to fix the mount to the plate, and then some metric bolts to fix that plate to the motor. It was an interesting experience, the motor is a very tight fit on the chassis. Next i need to either buy or make that left engine mount to continue with the build. I also need to bore out the shaft to pinion adapter which came with the kit; im pretty worried about that. It must be concentric, otherwise it wont survive 36000 rpm from that motor.

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5261 (1).jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

An update;

Made the drive adapter sleeve thing, it fits pretty well. Made the motor mount cross braces and they work as well. The whole assembly is very rigid now and im not worried at all about anything failing or falling apart. I havent threadlocked anything yet, i need to check it works first. Plus the only thread locker i have is very strong. The motor is final fitted, with approximately 1mm of clearance behind, the TP motor in the mail *should* be the same size, if it isnt then ill have to work that out. I got some bonehead rc carbon engine mounts which are super sweet, i think ill get some more carbon parts from him. The drivetrain had an issue where it seemed to be binding on things, after taking a look i noticed whenever i torque the brake mount down it bends something and binds everything up. I just added some m5 washers and the whole problem is fixed. This is close to finished now, just need to get the back slicks in the mail, get a body which will probably be a grafil evo, and make sure the gens ace lipos ive got will work properly. The brakes need doing, the esc needs mounting, and i also need to figure out how to fix the batteries down. Thanks for reading, heres some photos;

IMG_5439.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2020 at 07:26, Tug said:

Is that the original clutch housing from the gas engine?

Wow sorry mate didnt see this. Yes, its the turtle v2 one. It bolted up to this kit with a little bit of filing to the back side, just removal of the locating lugs.

So ive done a lot of work since i last added to this thread. ive added a hostile plastic spur as its a bit harder than stock, and also added a full set of brp slicks. The bodyshell (grafil evo) is in the mail and my TP motor is on back order. Ive been through and threadlocked a bunch of bolts but not all of them so that still needs to be done. I also need to figure out a way of holding the batteries down and also the manual braking system. I have tested the car on 8s, and it seems to be a lot faster than i thought. Maybe that is because of the size of it, or maybe i just got used to the petrol baja. I also changed the connectors to xt90s, for fear of botching the soldering of ec5s on the batteries. As these gens ace packs come with xt90s and are readily available, it would be silly not to go xt. Heres some photos;

IMG_5679.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay a few more things have happened. I have tested the rig twice so far, second being the first offroad test. I got about 5 minutes in before i could hear some sort of suspect clicking sound so i stopped there and went back home, luckily its a 5 minute walk. I think the grub screw on the motor-pinion adaptor has come loose but havent investigated yet. The battery tray was made, and took around 11 hours to complete. Its heavy, i think ill do something from carbon fibre in future. It does however work, and its very quick indeed. Perhaps not as much top end as i thought, but the new motor (if i ever get it) should cure that being slightly higher kv. Overall im pretty impressed, now i need to get a full pack run with it to see how long they last, i estimate about 15 minutes from what ive seen so far. Then i need to get the slicks back on for some speed testing. I ordered some 0 degree big bearing rear hubs and some Skf bearings so once those are fitted i can do a bit more onroad testing. Anywho heres some pictures

KVQQ5073.JPG

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...