• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What servo should I get for my 1/8 MT?

T1mmy

Hi, I've had an 1/8th scale Thunder Tiger MT3 G3 for years with a Power HD LW20 Servo (20KG/cm).

The servo has finally given up - should I just replace it or get something better?

The car always seemed to steer OK to me,  But this is the only RC car/servo I've owned so I've go nothing to compare it to - am I missing out by not getting a more expensive savox / hitech etc?

(The ESC is an ezrun 150a with 5.8v/3A BEC. I don't really want to get a seperate BEC.)

Thanks.

To be honest, for the money you can't really do much better than the PowerHD you had. They're not particularly quick but has enough torque for your MT. You could get a Savox 1256 which has about 20kg of torque but a nearly double the price of the PowerHD and aren't waterproof.

As with most things in this hobby it largely depends on your budget. You could get a chassis-twisting servo for about £100+ :lol:

Ok thanks  for the advice - I suppose I was wondering if more speed/torque would improve the driving experience for bashing.

The car does understeer a bit at high speed but not sure that's a torque issue(?) & I'd rather that than have it roll.

The PowerHD has lasted through several years of abuse and it's survived full immersion a few times, so I think I'll probably just get one of those.

• Like 1

Understeer will be down to the power of the vehicle, not the power of the servo.

Less throttle when the wheels are turned will reduce this.

A better servo IMO always improves the driving experience, but it depends what you want to spend.

I know a lot of people are using the JX EcoBoost servos, available from Banggood, probably eBay, Amazon etc... I have a 46kg one sat here which is also quite fast, that might be an option for you.

I try to get 20kg+ as fast as possible. Ide rather pay good money for good products for these things because once you have it you can use it in any RC you get later anything you can reuse on another build is worth the extra money imo. Any bolt on you can keep when selling the chassis. 

16 hours ago, 1111 said:

Take in account the servo saver. You can get monster torque but the servo saver will only work so much,.

That's a good point is there a way we can find out what our standard savers would work up to and then heavier springs. 

I remember the revo single servo conversion used a heavier servo saver spring to allow for the stronger servo. I have a 30kg servo in my hot bodies MT and want to make sure I get the full force.

Sorry to hijack the topic a little bit, but is this part of the reason why I can't get the right steering response out of my Kraton, the servo is too fast/powerful which forces the saver to yield?

I would have expected the servo saver to yield the same way regardless of the power of the servo behind it?

Edited by Paul Busby

I don't run servo savers.

No point getting a nice powerful servo to waste it in a servo saver.

Yeah they maybe have a placebo effect with not wrecking your servo, but I've very rarely stripped gears in well over 200 servos.

The tyres take the initial impact, then arms, hinge pins, knuckles etc... All before it actually gets to the horn.

• 2 weeks later...