• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Carnage help please (going slow)

adam1979

Hi all.  Bought my lad an FTX Carnage which has been working well for him but last time he took it out it got a bit wet which I know shouldn't really be much of an issue but ever since it no longer seems to have any speed about it.  I'd guess its probably doing about 8mph flat out.  It's the brushed version running on a 2S lipo which does not have any set points on the ESC for maximum throttle position.  I've played about with the throttle trim and that doesn't seem to be the issue.  It just seems as if the motor is not getting enough power to make it spin any faster.  I have checked the lipo's in my Hyper VS and they are working fine so that eliminates a battery issue.  

Does anyone have any other ideas of what can cause this??

Many thanks.

34 minutes ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Have you opened up the receiver box yet. You may find it’s wet in there. Needs drying out.
Once dry you can put it in a rubber ballon inside the box th stop it happening again.

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

I haven't.  I will go and check that now and report back.  

• Like 1

The receiver isn't in a box,  just zip tied onto the chassis. Its all dry now.  Ive checked all the connections which are all fine. Just tried it again and it seems to want to go but then seems to lose power and trickle along again. The brake seems to be very weak and not really working too. Not sure if the two issues are linked. 

Edited by adam1979
Spelling

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I started this thread and I still have not managed to sort this car out.  I changed the motor for a new (standard) one but it is still not running right.  Its extremely slow compared to how it used to be.  Sometimes it's like it has 2 gears.  It takes off slowly and then after a few seconds it seems to gain in power and seems to go ok.  This doesn't happen very often though and normally it just chugs along very slowly.  Could a dodgy ESC cause this to happen??  If I replaced the ESC would this one be ok to use?? 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=404964

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Could well be the ESC, the stock one is not considered to be much cop - generaly recommendations seem to be swap it for the hobbywing 1060. I have the hobbywing 1060 in mine and it runs fine. Full stock it will hit 18mph (stuck my garmin on it and gave it a rag).

Well it looks like the new motor that I put in the car has also gone bad again.  I connected the motor straight to the battery without an ESC and its all over the place.  Doesn't hold a steady RPMand surges up and down.  Could a bad ESC make a new motor go bad??  I think I will go with the Hobbywing ESC but should I replace the motor with a different one or just stick another new standard one in it??

• 2 months later...

I have had similar problems with my Vantage, different car but share lots of parts. Thought I had it all sorted after getting rid of stock esc and putting in a 1060. Then a week or so later slowed again, this turned out to be drag caused by drive shaft rubbing on back of servo (replaced stock with one that turned out to be 1mm bigger....duh!). Worked fine for a while again then back to go-slow...turned out to be drag caused by rear diff seizing. Sorted that and all good for a while. Now we are back to go slow.... Sets off great and after about 15 seconds slows to a crawl. 

Probably need to strip down the front diff and see if that’s seizing but I can’t feel any resistance when turning wheels by hand.

A bit stumped tbh.

On 13/05/2020 at 22:14, adam1979 said:

Well it looks like the new motor that I put in the car has also gone bad again.  I connected the motor straight to the battery without an ESC and its all over the place.  Doesn't hold a steady RPMand surges up and down.  Could a bad ESC make a new motor go bad??  I think I will go with the Hobbywing ESC but should I replace the motor with a different one or just stick another new standard one in it??

It might be something in the drivetrain causing resistance. It’s remarkable how even the smallest thing can cause a motor to overheat, a seized bearing or something similar can generate huge amounts of friction and of course that just puts extra strain on everything else.

Although having seen how long ago you posted this, presume it’s either been sorted or binned by now?

Edited by Fat Freddy

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

It might be something in the drivetrain causing resistance. It’s remarkable how even the smallest thing can cause a motor to overheat, a seized bearing or something similar can generate huge amounts of friction and of course that just puts extra strain on everything else.

Although having seen how long ago you posted this, presume it’s either been sorted or binned by now?

No, still having the same issues. New ESC and motor but it is still getting hot and going into limp mode.  Damn thing is driving me mad

1 minute ago, adam1979 said:

No, still having the same issues. New ESC and motor but it is still getting hot and going into limp mode.  Damn thing is driving me mad

Ok, well I’d suggest going through the drivetrain front to back looking for binding or stiffness. OE bearings are cheap and nasty and rust up quick.

10 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Ok, well I’d suggest going through the drivetrain front to back looking for binding or stiffness. OE bearings are cheap and nasty and rust up quick.

Thanks. I have checked most things but haven't changed no bearings and I haven't checked the front diff so I will do them next. 

• 5 months later...

Hi, I've just bought a Carnage 2.0 for my son and had the same issues out the box.  It drove fine for a few minutes, then started going slowly (this is on literally the first run we did).  I don't think it's a mechanical issue because switching the receiver off/on again temporarily lets it go faster before it drops in speed a minute or so later.  Checking the ESC settings its correctly set to F/R/B and NiMH settings.  We also swapped out the battery to eliminate that and sure enough it started fine but slowed down a couple of minutes later.  The only possible thing we could think of is that he did drive it on some damp grass early on but it was nothing I'd expect to cause an issue - not puddles or anything just damp grass.

Any ideas because this is very strange and not what you expect from new products these days?  Poor boy was so excited when this arrived and now seems broken on the first run.

Damp grass shouldn't really be a problem.

If so, the Carnage 2.0 should be a no go for any RC fan.

How hot is the motor in the moment when the car slows down?

If yes, the motor might have a problem.

Do the wheels still turn easily?

It might be that a bearing is overheating and blocking.

On 31/12/2020 at 09:46, TallMark said:

Hi, I've just bought a Carnage 2.0 for my son and had the same issues out the box.  It drove fine for a few minutes, then started going slowly (this is on literally the first run we did).  I don't think it's a mechanical issue because switching the receiver off/on again temporarily lets it go faster before it drops in speed a minute or so later.  Checking the ESC settings its correctly set to F/R/B and NiMH settings.  We also swapped out the battery to eliminate that and sure enough it started fine but slowed down a couple of minutes later.  The only possible thing we could think of is that he did drive it on some damp grass early on but it was nothing I'd expect to cause an issue - not puddles or anything just damp grass.

Any ideas because this is very strange and not what you expect from new products these days?  Poor boy was so excited when this arrived and now seems broken on the first run.

I never did solve the issue with my boys Carnage.  I changed the motor twice and changed the ESC to a Hobbywing one and still had the same issue so I have just converted it to brushless and it's running sweet now.  So much faster too.  Probably not what you want to hear with a new toy but maybe you'll have more luck tracking down the issue than I did. 

• 5 months later...

I cant work this one out either. It appears to be going at low voltage but it is not in protection mode which is usually what would make it slow or crawler mode. 
I have checked the rear gearbox and everything looks wonderful. 

Edited by molokow
  • Like 1