• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which FTX model?

Tom Swift

Hello I'm new to all this and I am wanting something which I can go on and off road which. I was favouring the FTX Vantage but reading other links on the forum the FTX Carnage was also mentioned - which also looks great. 

I have read a few reviews that whilst they are similar, the overall quality of the Vantage is better and the ability to upgrade is also greater. 

Has anyone owned these models? Any feedback? 

Tom

The vantage and the carnage are very similar, so many parts are interchangeable, the carnage will be more capable over rougher surfaces and grass whereas the vantage will handle better on dirt and tarmac.

Hi  I'm also new to rc and bought ftx outlaw brushed and carnage brushless. I'm ready for selling them both to be honest after just 5 weeks.  the amount of breakage I've had runs to about 150 quid since christmas. Wish I'd took the plunge and got stronger cars. I know anything can break after crashes, but the chassis on both of these is poorly designed, with screws placed about 2mm from the chassis edges which just doesn't give enough material to take the knocks. Maybe me and my boy are too tough on them, but they are both in bits in garage and just ordered another 2 chassis, suspension arms, etc. 3 shocks have come apart and lost all fluid. Motor and esc on outlaw both replaced, outlaw steering servo isn't working, carnage body is unbelievably thin plastic and lasted 10 days. Sorry to be negative but I've spent 350 on the 2 cars and didnt expect such problems. I enjoy fixing them, but having to fix them after every run is becoming tedious for me and my son.

As for Vantage Vs Carnage, they're essentially the same platform, with different wheels/tyres and body shell. You can quickly and easily change any Carnage into a Vantage, or a Bugsta.

IKZ4, have you bought the metal chassis for the Outlaw? It's definitely worth an upgrade. I assume you're talking about the mounting points for the rear trailing arms? The metal chassis offers way more strength there. Apart from that, I also bust the rear driveshaft (brushless power), so upgraded to the seteel one. If you haven't done that already, it is worth doing, although use threadlock! She likes to spit out the drive pins!

Yeah, ESC is useless! It cannot cope with the Outlaw's gearing/weight. I'd hope the Outlaw 2.0 adresses this. I think  I used mine once!

The Carnage & Outlaw can be pretty tough, reliable little bashers, but they have their limits! If an Arrma Outcast is how you treat them, then an Arrma Outcast is what you should buy! :good:

Edited by PraetoR
  • Like 1

Both really weak cars,  parts are cheap yes, but with postage and the frequency you break parts means they aren't as cheap to run as they can appear.  Arrma Granite 3S is easily 100x more durable,  parts are cheapish , faster, no comparison really but it is £309 now, it's getting expensive...

JLB Cheetah RTR is roughly same price as Ftx Carnage from Bangood.  Cheap parts (from China though), not as durable as the Arrma, but I'd take it over either FTX any day.

i didnt go for the metal chassis for the Outlaw, but yes this one broke at the trailing arm mounts. the previous Outlaw chassis broke at the bumper mounts. my first carnage chassis also broke at the bumper mounts, and then when i broke a suspension arm on the carnage i rounded out some screws that i'd threadlocked in, so i had to deliberately destroy the second carnage chassis to free the screws. nightmare.

i talked it over with my son and i'm going to get both cars fully fixed up and then put them on ebay. i'll be looking for some stronger trucks but will post for advice on another post.

11 hours ago, RcBEN9 said:

Both really weak cars,  parts are cheap yes, but with postage and the frequency you break parts means they aren't as cheap to run as they can appear.  Arrma Granite 3S is easily 100x more durable,  parts are cheapish , faster, no comparison really but it is £309 now, it's getting expensive...

JLB Cheetah RTR is roughly same price as Ftx Carnage from Bangood.  Cheap parts (from China though), not as durable as the Arrma, but I'd take it over either FTX any day. I've had my outlaw for a couple of years. Only broke a body post and rear drive shaft. But I drive it how an ultra4 should be driven.   But hey, what do I know.. I've only been driving RCs for 15 years 🙄