• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dad & son newbies

IKZ4

Hi all,

Got my 6 yr old son an FTX Outlaw brushed for Christmas, then got myself a brushless Carnage to join in the fun. The cars have been a real eye opener, i wasnt aware how realistic they'd become.

However i'm very dissapointed with the way that the cars break. My son broke front bumper / bumper support / chassis on the first outing on boxing day! We've since burnt out the motor and ESC, snapped battery tray mounts and i think the diffs need looking at as they seem quite 'crunchy'.. I've had the Carnage 10 days and have replaced chassis, body posts, front bumper, spur gear and the bodywork is in tatters. The Outlaw body and cage seems much more solid.

I did some reading before buying and was aware the cars were a bit fragile, but i wasnt expecting to snap a chassis by hitting a kerb. i can live with the outlaw for now, it was a present so dont want to change it. But after 10 days i'm thinking that the carnage needs to be taken back to the shop as it's just too fragile. 

I appreciate we're learning to drive the cars and bumps will happen, i'd be ok if a bumper broke, but 2 chassis's in 3 weeks feels wrong.

Any advise appreciated, and the form has been a great source of info so far, many thanks!

cheers,

Ian

Hi and welcome to the Forum! 

My son had an FTX carnage and I lost faith in it and sold it, far too fragile really, but the parts are cheap so its not all bad.

To be honest if you want more durability you will need to spend a bit more on your cars.

The outlaw is a crawler so should be OK slowly trudging over things, but will suffer if its hitting trees and such like.

If you are looking at something with more durability and great fine then something like this ARRMA Granite ebay link

Its not indestructible but will hold up better than the carnage 

Welcome to the Forum and Welcome to the hobby of RC, where you spend all your money on parts.  Things will get better as your son gets better at driving, maybe trim down the power on the Tx?  I am not sure what Tx you are using, or, if it's possible with the model.

That is certainly unlucky, my friend had the Viper from FTX and it broke every run, my nephew has a Bugsta (Carnage with a different body) and he's been very lucky with that and not broken anything yet.

If you are wanting something fast, parts support available and very tough, I would suggest the Arrma Senton BLX 4x4 3s.

Below is a video of mine taking some abuse.

It gets this kind of abuse every single outing and nothing has broken yet.

• Like 1

Just to point out the obvious, hitting a kerb can do any RC in, doesn't matter who makes it. A Carnage of course isn't as tough as some of the higher priced bashers out there - but even the tough ones don't take kerbs well. Kerbs don't give, if you hit a kerb proper you will break stuff. Including Kratons (which don't snap in half, but potentially [rarely] bend and certainly will snap A-Arms - plenty of pictures of that in the Arrma forums). 

My friend snapped his carnage chassis clean in two when he slid into a wooden post sideways, wasn't a particularly hard hit from what I could see. Somehow the diff broke too after that crash?

I've not done anything like the jumps in that video! We have a small skate park, maybe a metre high curved banking and some 50cm max humps to jump. The carnage body came apart after just rolling over on tarmac whilst cornering, its unbelievably thin plastic.

I've just added up and I've spent 80 quid in 3 weeks and I need more body posts and a new carnage body. Local shop has been great but I don't want to spend all my time and money in there!

Ordinarily if I'd spent 200 quid on something with so many problems I'd not hesitate in returning it, just don't know if I'm expecting too much from them.

On the plus side they are awesome fun and my son is always asking to take them out

Yeah I would stay away from a skatepark with those cars, skateparks reduce even the strongest of cars to ribbons. BMX tracks are a bit better but still quite hard on them.

If you can find a mountain bike park, that would be a lot more fun and a tad easier on the cars too 😉