• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to racing - tips please

Darren Yp

Hi, I've just got my brca membership and will now practice for racing in the new year, I was planning to practice at herts nitro club with a second hand schumacher KF. The car has a esc reventionR, revention 7.5t motor and absima cp3s seems a good set up for astro tracks? I'm looking for any tips for track days and driving tips such as jumps etc....also I'm interested in joining stotford rc club but noticed no power on site. What would you buy or set up for charging batteries?  

The KF is quite an old model now, replaced by the KF2, then the KC and now the Laydown. 

Since it's a Schumacher, parts are plentiful from numerous online sites, including Schumacher direct. 

The KF does have a few weak spots, notably the front hub retaining pins but it's a good car with plenty of setup scope to get it dialed in. 

The Speed Passion stuff was and still is to some extent a good quality ESC and the motor is plenty for a new comer. You'll probably want to limit the end point adjustment for the throttle on the Absima CR3P transmitter as this will tame the car down some to make it more manageable and avoid some of the inevitable breakages. As an example, in the 2wd off-road region and nationals the pros are using 6.5 and 7.5T motors with boost and turbo so you will not be needing any more speed. 

If you have just purchased your BRCA Membership, is it valid to the end of this year or due to expire end of 2020? I only ask as it's getting close to the time where the BRCA open up membership re-newals so you effectively get 14 months of membership. 

Tyres will be your main concern, get them right and you'll be 90% there. The other 10% will come from setup tweaks but only worth getting into the depth of tuning once you can run 5 minute heats with no crashes or needing a marshal. 

Also worth reading the BRCA manual, especially about charging your batteries. BRCA rules dictate they must be charged in a sack, most clubs will be pretty hot on this. 

Go down to the track when there is practice or club nights and just chat to the guys. They will have a boat load of knowledge for you to absorb and will help with anything!

Good luck, enjoy the racing part of the hobby and don't get too disappointed with breakages and trying to keep up with the fast guys... The main reason is to have FUN 😀

If you're on social media, join the clubs groups and introduce yourself there also!

Edited by Derka

Thanks for the overview and advice. Brca membership was released tonight so I've joined now and got it live now until 31sr December 2020 if that help? When I got the car I need strip it back and went to manual set up and tightened up the car. Silly question but you.might be able to help, do shocks from and rear need to be differnt lengths? I.e. front medium big bore and rear long big bore? 

Thanks