• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice Please New To Drifting

Teflon_Tim

Hi All,

I have been out of the hobby for some years now but fancy getting back into it with a list of cars i wish to build so i thought i would start with a drift project but unsure which way to go, i was initially looking at the Tamiya TT-02D but i have seen there are many alternatives out there, also all the tech has come a long way with the likes of brushless technology, Li-Po battery packs etc and of course the radio units themselves.

Can anybody offer me some advice as to what would be a good chassis to start with along with all the necessary electronics.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Tim,

I personally like the RWD 3Racing Sakura D4, but these are a bit old hat now. The MST RMX2.0s is popular, as is the Yokomo YD2. All are RWD, this is the norm now. This means you need a good Gyro, servo and ideally a sensored brushless system (most use a 10.5 turn motor). It's a costly game, so it all depends on if you just want some fun skidding in a car park, or to be competitive on an indoor track at a club.

If you just want cheap fun, then a Tamiya 4WD drifter is a laugh, if you want something more realistic, RWD is the only way to go 👍

• Thanks 1

I went from a 50/50 (Tamiya tt01) to a cs 4wd and it was really nice to drift with, docile through the corners and easy to get the hang of.

alas, rwd came along and overtook the cs (counter steer) but i found it to be tricky to get used to.

10.5t motor, decent esc (sensored is a must) and a fast steering servo.

as for cars, I loved the MST ms01d I had, just a shame the track was so far away and their was a couple of cocks there too which spoilt the fun.

i would say, get yourself to your local drift club and I’m sure someone will be able to let you have a go maybe and give you a better idea on what to buy.

by the time you spend on a tt01/tt02 your into a dedicated chassis.

my own opinion of course. :good:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all you input guys, i did look at a Sakura some time ago when i first considered drifting but never followed it up.

There is no tracks near to me that i am aware off (a little place called Thornton outside of Blackpool) but like everything i do i never i never do it by half so would probably look at building something more on the competitive side,  i have already narrowed my radio down to either a Sanwa or KO ProPo 😀

Hi Tim,

There's a guy who runs my club called Ben who runs Slide Dynamics RC. You should be able to find him on fb, I think his website is updating. He's the UK man for MST stuff and will hook you up. He's currently at the world championships but will be back soon. Tell him Andrew sent you 👍

• Thanks 1

cant really add to what has already been said. the tt01/tt02 is a basic entry level RC car. its is 50 based. which sadly ive never seen run at a rc drift club. there is rarely any CS drifting now either it is mainly RWD. which is going to help you choose a chassis.

personally i own the sakura D4 and MST RMXs2 and they both are decent in box form and much can be added and modded on them with upgraded parts and hops ups.

The car is only going to be a small part of your spends. there is a lot of other pieces to the puzzle. the good thing is you can get a basic set up and upgrade or add to it over time. run it initially cheap until fund allow or soemthing needs upgrading.

I will outline some rough costings below of the parts i run which are decent and not the cheapest but far from the most expensive either.

car chassis 150

motor 40

ESC 70

servo 40

gyro 30

battery 25

radio tx and rx 80 quid ish for a base model sanwa (mine was 280)

dont forgot charger

there are many people about on FB such places as ASBO rc (dale clements) or as previously mentioned slide dynamics (ben houhkman or however it is spelt) and i dare say there are other online and local stores who can supply pieces to you too. 

i would suggest popping along to a drift night. i can imagine it being a big of track to some of the uk drift venues but it may save you monies on kit and chassi etc getting some questions and hands on time with people who already drift, im pretty sure if you get the bug then your pockets are going to have to be deep. ive seen top chassis for £1200 upwards the sky is the limit once you get hooked.

either way enjoy your drift journey. whether it be hopup heaven or plastic fantastic. keep it sideways