• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help out a Forum member, lost all his gear in a fire :(

.AJ.

Man this certainly made me sit up and take note just order a couple of these 

F700-F353-0-D84-4089-AA03-B40661-F6-CB92

Not saying it was anything to do with lipos but just got me thinking better safe than sorry 

38 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I saw on Kev’s Facebook the Fire Brigade think it’s was a faulty multi socket or a shorted out electric drill battery 

As an electrician, how do you help prevent these?

Don't use extension leads while they're coiled up, that's a big no no! I've seen plastic extension coils actually split in two from overheating!

Loose connections are also incredibly dangerous. On low voltage, like in our toys, it's not a problem as the voltage isn't powerful enough to make the jump, but at mains voltage, arcing occurs which is a major fire risk. 

I do feel for the guy, we spend years building these toys to suit us as individuals, I'd be gutted to lose mine. 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Don't use extension leads while they're coiled up, that's a big no no! I've seen plastic extension coils actually split in two from overheating!

Loose connections are also incredibly dangerous. On low voltage, like in our toys, it's not a problem as the voltage isn't powerful enough to make the jump, but at mains voltage, arcing occurs which is a major fire risk. 

I do feel for the guy, we spend years building these toys to suit us as individuals, I'd be gutted to lose mine. 

I remember years ago going to job and they were running a immersion heater on a coiled up extension lead, you could smell the melting cable as soon as I walked into the job, it must have been minutes away from going up in smoke 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I remember years ago going to job and they were running a immersion heater on a coiled up extension lead, you could smell the melting cable as soon as I walked into the job, it must have been minutes away from going up in smoke 

First house-bash I worked on was incredible, not enough cable to reach the socket? Don't worry, just add a metre of speaker cable on to the end, who needs a CPC? Or the correct cross-sectional area? It'll be fine! The existing cables were so cooked, they didn't bend in your hands, they just snapped. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing .AJ. i appreciate it buddy as said above it was either a drill battery or the multi socket that shorted out it was not coiled up and i had 2 circuit breakers   1 in the shed and 1 in the houses main fuse board. 

The electric supply to the shed was all done professionally and signed off by the council so was all above board . 

Totally devastated is an understatement 30yrs i have been in the hobby and every thing rc i owned was in my shed 10k just in cars alone :( and about another 10k in parts and tools ect.

Some things i lost can never be replaced :( 

I have said this a lot over the last few days 

Make sure you have insurance guys and most of all make sure it covers your shed and its contents to what its all worth. Insurance company's will do all they can to wriggle out of paying up. Even if it cost you a few extra quid to cover your shed do it guys or you could end up loosing everything . 

Thanks guys feeling the love 

Kevin  

• Like 1