• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GPS for Speed runs

Kpowell911

Curiosity has got the better of me, and I Want to do a speed run. Every video I watch seems to use the same small Garmin GPS, its around the same size as a shock oil bottle but I Cant find the model number? Anyone know what one to use, or other than that the cheapest possible way of doing it?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Curiosity has got the better of me, and I Want to do a speed run. Every video I watch seems to use the same small Garmin GPS, its around the same size as a shock oil bottle but I Cant find the model number? Anyone know what one to use, or other than that the cheapest possible way of doing it?

Thanks 

Garmin Forerunner 101  but there discontinued now you can pick them up secondhand on eBay though or SkyRc do one there about £45 on rcmart ??

Yeah the SkyRc one is the most cost effective.

However, if you have an old, relatively small, smartphone lying about you can install GPS speedo apps on it and use that.

I have an old Vodafone smart whatever that sits in the draw as a spare and I've used that many times.

Cost nowt......

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, namastebuzz said:

Yeah the SkyRc one is the most cost effective.

However, if you have an old, relatively small, smartphone lying about you can install GPS speedo apps on it and use that.

I have an old Vodafone smart whatever that sits in the draw as a spare and I've used that many times.

Cost nowt......

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

I was doing that before, but always struggled with it. It was a cheap android phone

36 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Garmin Forerunner 101  but there discontinued now you can pick them up secondhand on eBay though or SkyRc do one there about £45 on rcmart ??

Saw the Sky RC one, looks good. Ill look into it when I next order from RC Mart

The sky rc only has a polling rate of 1hz which is pretty slow. The dynamite one has a polling rate of 10hz which means it should be more precise. 

• Like 1

I do speed runs myself using my Arrma Typhon 6S. 

My first GPS speed meter was the SkyRc speed meter which worked okay for a few months but then started reading inconsistently, giving much lower speeds then actual as well it then started failing to upload the data from itself to the GPS logger so I couldn't look at the results on my laptop or record them. 

I now use the Dynamite GPS  which is what I recommend to people and I wish I had just bought that one in the first place.

The faster refresh rate does make a massive difference, ...you wouldn't think it would but then because we are using them on R/c vehicles the acceleration/deceleration that can occur in just 1 second is much more than on a 1:1 scale vehicle for the most part (providing you can get traction). 

I bought mine from Modelsport UK: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-gps-speed-meter/rc-car-products/385011

As mentioned though the Garmin Forerunner 101 or the 201, which has a rechargeable battery instead of using regular batteries, are another option although they're a little big and I don't know what the refresh rates are on them. You'd also need to track them down on the secondhand market but I have seen them on eBay before. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

I do speed runs myself using my Arrma Typhon 6S. 

My first GPS speed meter was the SkyRc speed meter which worked okay for a few months but then started reading inconsistently, giving much lower speeds then actual as well it then started failing to upload the data from itself to the GPS logger so I couldn't look at the results on my laptop or record them. 

I now use the Dynamite GPS  which is what I recommend to people and I wish I had just bought that one in the first place.

The faster refresh rate does make a massive difference, ...you wouldn't think it would but then because we are using them on R/c vehicles the acceleration/deceleration that can occur in just 1 second is much more than on a 1:1 scale vehicle for the most part (providing you can get traction). 

I bought mine from Modelsport UK: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-gps-speed-meter/rc-car-products/385011

As mentioned though the Garmin Forerunner 101 or the 201, which has a rechargeable battery instead of using regular batteries, are another option although they're a little big and I don't know what the refresh rates are on them. You'd also need to track them down on the secondhand market but I have seen them on eBay before. 

Thanks for that, bit more than Wanted to spend but will bare it in mind :) 

28 minutes ago, Guns said:

Thanks for that, bit more than Wanted to spend but will bare it in mind :) 

Understandable and you're welcome.

All I do with my Typhon is speed runs so it was worth spending a bit more on a quality GPS speed meter like the Dynamite.

If you keep an eye on eBay I have seen the Garmin Forerunner 101's go for between £25 and £85 odd depending on condition/auction bidders etc. 

Couple for sale on there now but one is a whopping £175 odd, ...that sellers mental if he thinks it's worth that. 

Link:   https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&Brand=Garmin&_sop=15&_osacat=75230&_odkw=garmin+forerunner&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_dcat=75230&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgarmin+forerunner+101.TRS0&_nkw=garmin+forerunner+101&_sacat=0

@Guns Just thought of another option I've seen a few speed runners using on YouTube which is a Canmore GPS logger. 

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canmore-G-PORTER-GP-102-Multifunction-Device-green/dp/B00F8AJQ9S

Now I can't recommend it as I've never used one nor do I know how good they are, refresh rates etc but just giving you options. Less than £50 so probably more what you were thinking of spending I'd guess. 

1 hour ago, Guns said:

I don't know sorry.

If it records speed then I can't see why not, ...I'd either look up the features online to see if it does or ask the seller. 

4 minutes ago, namastebuzz said:

Hey GMballistic, just out of interest, what speed have you got from your Talion?

It is a V3 Typhon I have and my current PB is 97mph. 

That was done on a half depleted battery and when the ESC/motor was already a bit hot so I'm sure it will surpass that into triple digits. :thumbsup: 

Video here of one of my runs;

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/233502-arrma-typhon-6s-speed-run-video/?tab=comments#comment-2459699

Sorry - Typhon.

Good job. Read up on your thread on the Arrma forums too. Interesting stuff.

Look forward to seeing your 100mph run. :thumbsup:

On 15/05/2019 at 20:36, Jumper said:

The sky rc only has a polling rate of 1hz which is pretty slow. The dynamite one has a polling rate of 10hz which means it should be more precise. 

The newer ones have a 1-10hz rate though which is changeable so the same as the Dynamite but cheaper ??

http://www.rcmart.com/gsm015-gnss-speed-meter-p-83050.html

4 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

The newer ones have a 1-10hz rate though which is changeable so the same as the Dynamite but cheaper ??

http://www.rcmart.com/gsm015-gnss-speed-meter-p-83050.html

nice, i didnt realise they had updated it. That is good to know. :good:

• 2 years later...