• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini-T Steering Servo

Cactus

Hey, my Mini-T needs a new steering servo but my local shop can't get them and has nothing that'll fit.

The internet has failed me so if anyone has a whole car for sale I'll buy it or just the servo please?

Thank you.

Right that answers a question. The Servo I had in it has a hexagonal fitting not the usual splines.

Also, it's a four pin plug what pin is the one you recommend? The seller hasn't replied yet.

I don't think you'll find a servo that'll work with the stock electronics as they were discontinued a long time ago.

Your only option is to update them.

This ESC is perfect https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1625-brushed-esc/rc-car-products/382829 for the brushed motor in the Mini-T, it'll also accept LiPo batteries.

You just need radio gear that suits your needs.

• Thanks 1

Well it didn't last long, the servo died after 5 minutes of zipping around the living room. I contacted the seller and he said it's a feather servo and not meant for steering so he won't replace it. :(

8 minutes ago, Leo said:

Did you setup the end points?

I did what I always do which is set the trim to 0 attatch the servo saver and make sure it's centred. Checked the steering was about equal left and right then put it in the car. And it was spot on. Dead straight and equal left and right. As you saw in my video, it worked great. Only after a few minutes nipping around obsticels in the living room it gave up.

I'm using the original Losi Transmitter with a matching AM Receiver. 

• 7 months later...

Cactus,   The Losi Mini-T steering servo has four wire connection (with 4 pin Dupont connector), which is not RC car standard.  But, if you carefully unscrew and open up the Losi servo you will see that two of the wires are shunted together, so it is actually a 3 wire servo after all.  This is a clue I will share.  In most situations the Losi steering servo can be repaired, but it depends on what failed inside.  I have four mini-t's ( red, blue, silver, and silver ( soon to be painted white) and have found that it is not the small circuit inside the servo that fails.  Failure is usually gear issue or the small motor inside will become stuck.  A gentle spin of the motor shaft will get it unstuck and should work again.  As for the gears,  there are two common issued I have encountered.  The smallest gear on the motor shaft is supposed to be press fit.  Over time this gear will slip on the spindle so it needs to be glued in place with a (tiny) amount of super glue or epoxy.  The other gear that may cause servo failure is the control arm gear ( hex on top). This gear is keyed over the potentiometer shaft. Notice the potentiometer shaft has a flat. The potentiometer determines the servo position so it is important the shaft and gear mates.   Gear sets are sold on ebay from time to time for about $5 USD. 

Yes you can retrofit a HiTec HS-55 feather servo.  You will need to perform some surgery.  Remove the circuit inside the HS-55 and replace it with the circuit from the Losi servo. 

I hope this information helps,   Best of luck,

Andy 

All my Mini T cars are stock and ride wheelies when throttled.  It is amazing to see the difference in speed and performance.  I'm running the cars on Lipo 2S 7.4V 800mAH battery pack.   It's easy to do.  Simply replace the battery wire ends with 2 pin JST connector.   

Andy