• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

flying Laws

dazzzer

I just want to know more about the RC flying laws in the UK,  and if it all applies to me?  I mostly fly micro rc   normally  fly in doors but sometimes I take them to the local park on nice days , I think my biggest drone is 230grams in weight , I am just wondering if these are in the same class of law as the bigger ones  ,  Also heard they was new laws coming in for a test and licence to fly but really would feel silly if I had to take a test to fly micro planes and drones round the park  .

This is from The BMFA website have a look at the news page for the whole article

For a list of ‘Protected Aerodromes’ please see: (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html.)

The intent of this proposal is not to impose an outright ban but to introduce a ‘restriction’ which can be overcome through suitable liaison/procedures/agreement with the Air Traffic Control (ATC) at the aerodrome.  There are existing restrictions on flying unmanned aircraft exceeding 7Kg within an Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) without agreement from the ATC, but when this proposal is formalised in law (by a change to the Air Navigation Order which is likely to take several months), that restriction will apply to all unmanned aircraft with a mass of more than 250g operating within the new boundary.  

Members/Clubs intending to operate within the ‘Exclusion Zone’ will have to have an agreement with the local ATC.  We will of course keep members posted on when this new rule is likely to come into force and any BMFA-affiliated clubs that expect to be affected by this change are welcome to contact BMFA HQ for advice.

Good info there by freediver :) yeah your under the 250g limit a lot of guys are building drones under tis weight limit now haha :) if should be a online sensible test when it does finally arrive ive heard some other rule to stick my

stay under 400ft aka 120metres

keep 50metres away from people (this ones kinda hard at time when people walk straight in front of you :

keep the quad in line of sight at all times

if fpving use a spotter ie someone else who isn't looking into googles or a monitor to call out people or problems

25mv is the legal power allowed by your vtx output thought a lot run above that

11 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

Good info there by freediver :) yeah your under the 250g limit a lot of guys are building drones under tis weight limit now haha :) if should be a online sensible test when it does finally arrive ive heard some other rule to stick my

stay under 400ft aka 120metres

keep 50metres away from people (this ones kinda hard at time when people walk straight in front of you :

keep the quad in line of sight at all times

if fpving use a spotter ie someone else who isn't looking into googles or a monitor to call out people or problems

25mv is the legal power allowed by your vtx output thought a lot run above that

Do you know if the weight of the drone is included with the battery on ? 

Electric flight always includes batteries in weight as it doesn't change during flight, any IC planes get weighed with an empty tank as it get lighter during flight, not that you get an IC quad yet!

It may pay to join the BMFA Its about £38 for the year, you are covered by their insurance should you damage something, you also get special dispensation to fly higher and you wont need a spotter or to always fly line of sight for FPV providing you have some sort of Screen or goggles to view where you are, will see if I can find all the info for you! 

1 hour ago, freedivercam said:

Electric flight always includes batteries in weight as it doesn't change during flight, any IC planes get weighed with an empty tank as it get lighter during flight, not that you get an IC quad yet!

It may pay to join the BMFA Its about £38 for the year, you are covered by their insurance should you damage something, you also get special dispensation to fly higher and you wont need a spotter or to always fly line of sight for FPV providing you have some sort of Screen or goggles to view where you are, will see if I can find all the info for you! 

I never fly that   high up  because there so small and hard to see so I  really wouldn't see the point  in joining , I use to fly bigger RC planes years ago and  I don't think they was laws back then or I just didn't know about them, now I enjoy the micro class  rc  plans and drones mostly   indoors and sometimes outside if its not to windy  , I think all these laws are just silly and complicated, as long as I can go my local park and not be breaking any laws I will always make sure I am under 250g. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...