• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX kanyon

Hi ? all I’ve have a budget of £200

max to buy a crawler.

its a mine field so thought I would join you and ask your advice....

i have my eye on a FTX kanyon

ive asked on another forum about it 

just wonder if some one on here as actual got one, I’ve seen the vid on utube about its faults nothing To drastic 

I would like to know running time

of battery that’s surpplied 

its a 1800mah 7.2v

driving a 60T high torque 

brushed motor

my friend recons about 20min

if that is so what battery would you recommend I buy with it for more running time as a 2nd battery ???

also how long do they take to charge with the standard charger what comes free with it

and can you get a charger that charges from car lighter

i do have more questions about this crawler that’s why I would like advice from some one who as one thanks

this crawler is 1/10 so it’s the right size I don’t want it for competition 

or competitive trails 

its just for enjoyment and getting out in the fresh air

thanks for any help

Edited by Annoying Thing

I would search for its spare parts and any upgrades avalible and if its pretty thin i wouldn't bother. 

The axial scx10 deadbolt used to be around £250 rtr. £220 sometimes from germany. Maub rc Mart. If you can find one of those deals i think it will be the best option. With years and years worth of parts, upgrades and mods to choose from to keep it exciting improving on it etc. 

I brought an ecx another cheaper brand their ruckus 2wd MT and it was good standard just no thrills good though. So i made it more powerful and ended up destroying it. The power broke 4 things in 5mins. Well adding grippy tires are what really did it. 2x more power spinning away was ok. But with grip it killed the diff, spat off the pinion gear shredding the spur gear and the steeting alloy upgrade was bent open wide. No steering at all. 

I was so angry i brought a traxxas roller and couldnt be happier. The kid can keep up now lol. Drives it better than me too. Since i try to stunt and fail lol.

The deadbolt is ~£270 in the UK atm, on offer from £300.  A big jump.  A better recommendation might be the carisma scale Coyote RTR - it's a 1:10 and very well received for a budget cralwer - the Kanyon is a relatively unknown quantity, the Carisma is still over budget.

The Kanyon IS a lot of RC for the money - it looks nice (subjective) - it's big, RTR - FTX have had some cracking models out in recent times - the Kanyon is new though, and though owners will decide it's got some design quirks - prob a result of most of it being a parts bin special design - the chassis is more solid axle MT - that centre chassis section looks like it will cause you to get hung up when crawling / trailing.  The body mounts too seem to be a bit of a rushed after thought / joke.  Owners will no doubt start reporting in sooner or later - my observations are purely as a fellow RC enthusiast.

If you absolutely cannot stretch the budget, must have new, then the FTX Outback 2 might be a better bet in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Annoying Thing said:

Hi ? all I’ve have a budget of £200

max to buy a crawler.

its a mine field so thought I would join you and ask your advice....

i have my eye on a FTX kanyon

ive asked on another forum about it 

just wonder if some one on here as actual got one, I’ve seen the vid on utube about its faults nothing To drastic 

I would like to know running time

of battery that’s surpplied 

its a 1800mah 7.2v

driving a 60T high torque 

brushed motor

my friend recons about 20min

if that is so what battery would you recommend I buy with it for more running time as a 2nd battery ???  Assuming you want to stay with nimh then a (ie) 5000mah will more than double the run time- looking at the pics it's a standard size 6cell stick pack so easily sourced (Overlander make good value ones).

also how long do they take to charge with the standard charger what comes free with it - assuming it's a trickle charger like almost every RTR then there usually rated in hundred of milliamps - so a 300mah charger will take at least 6hrs.

and can you get a charger that charges from car lighter - yes - a semi decent charger, such as the Overlander RC6VSR accepts a 11-18v DC input - just a matter of buying the right cable.  It also runs on mains and will charge a 5000mah battery at 5a's happily - so will charger it safely in an hour.

i do have more questions about this crawler that’s why I would like advice from some one who as one thanks

this crawler is 1/10 so it’s the right size I don’t want it for competition 

or competitive trails 

its just for enjoyment and getting out in the fresh air

thanks for any help

Hope this helps.

A friend got a Kanyon and quite likes it, got about 25 mins on standard battery but now has a 5200 2s lipo in it, it is very slow compared to my FTX Mauler pick up, but it is a nice crawler for the sensible price, BTW if you dont mind the buggy style, then a mauler is a pretty good crawler

• Like 1

A friend got a Kanyon and quite likes it, got about 25 mins on standard battery but now has a 5200 2s lipo in it, it is very slow compared to my FTX Mauler pick up, but it is a nice crawler for the sensible price, BTW if you dont mind the buggy style, then a mauler is a pretty good crawler

I did look at the mauler yellow
With two guys in it look really great but not my taste thank you for your reply sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

One of my friends got an FTX Kanyon and pointed out a few small issues to me.

The body and bumper mounts are attached to metal plates which are held on to the chassis with 2 screws at each end. A bad roll over or impact on the front or back might snap them off and if that happens you would need to replace the chassis.

The 60t motor is extremely slow. Top speed on 2s or the standard pack is below a causal walking pace.

He's reinforced the mounts by using braces across his chassis from front mount screws to the rear and added a 35t motor in also 

The deadbolt is ~£270 in the UK atm, on offer from £300.  A big jump.  A better recommendation might be the carisma scale Coyote RTR - it's a 1:10 and very well received for a budget cralwer - the Kanyon is a relatively unknown quantity, the Carisma is still over budget.

The Kanyon IS a lot of RC for the money - it looks nice (subjective) - it's big, RTR - FTX have had some cracking models out in recent times - the Kanyon is new though, and though owners will decide it's got some design quirks - prob a result of most of it being a parts bin special design - the chassis is more solid axle MT - that centre chassis section looks like it will cause you to get hung up when crawling / trailing.  The body mounts too seem to be a bit of a rushed after thought / joke.  Owners will no doubt start reporting in sooner or later - my observations are purely as a fellow RC enthusiast.

If you absolutely cannot stretch the budget, must have new, then the FTX Outback 2 might be a better bet in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Yes it as help a lot , I’ve been looking at reviews.
For the Outback from some guys called RCGEEKS they said a solid entrance crawler for Someone just entering the hobby
Pros were price
And construction

Cons battery time
Servo steering went on there test but they put it down to a defective one
Engine lacks power on very steep inclines with rocks

Apparently some one as already updated the engine with a 5.5 one so bases are covered

I personally like the all metal parts inside
So I’m going with this one also getting a faster charger and a up grading battery to one last longer
May get 2 or 3 and keep original as a get me back to my car park[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Another question [emoji42][emoji42]
The radio control it comes with
What range are they used at
And if for some reason the car goes out of TXs range does the car stop or carries on at last TXs
Command ???

Last one for now
Bearing in mind it’s not for competition just fresh air and fun
What other bits should I need to keep me up and running is there like a pack with tools and bits that type of thing.

Also I’m transporting car in back of my car what do you guys use as a carrier was thinking of the box it comes in but would that be
NAFF [emoji1785][emoji2961][emoji2961]
Thanks for your help Frank

7 hours ago, Annoying Thing said:

Yes it as help a lot , I’ve been looking at reviews.
For the Outback from some guys called RCGEEKS they said a solid entrance crawler for Someone just entering the hobby
Pros were price
And construction

Cons battery time
Servo steering went on there test but they put it down to a defective one
Engine lacks power on very steep inclines with rocks

Apparently some one as already updated the engine with a 5.5 one so bases are covered

I personally like the all metal parts inside
So I’m going with this one also getting a faster charger and a up grading battery to one last longer
May get 2 or 3 and keep original as a get me back to my car parkemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Another question emoji42.pngemoji42.png
The radio control it comes with
What range are they used at - Varies from one system to another and terrain - if you have an unobstructed line of sight to the RC then range should be at least 100m plus.
And if for some reason the car goes out of TXs range does the car stop or carries on at last TXs - Should be set up to STOP
Command ???

Last one for now
Bearing in mind it’s not for competition just fresh air and fun
What other bits should I need to keep me up and running is there like a pack with tools and bits that type of thing. - There are though, and it should come with some basics - it's easy to get just what you need and no need to spend top dollar on the best out there (avoid allen keys) - drivers (hex / torx whatever the Kanyon uses), nut drivers prob a 5,5mm and 7mm, needle nosed pliars, side cutters, some double sided tape, spare hardware - screws and nuts.  Spares for the RC itself depends on what you might want to repair in the field - bearing in mind it may be cold, wet the RC could be filthy - personally I don't take much more than a spare esc / servo wheel nuts and pins for wheel hexes

Also I’m transporting car in back of my car what do you guys use as a carrier was thinking of the box it comes in but would that be
NAFF emoji1785.pngemoji2961.pngemoji2961.png - RC hauler - though is you plan on carrying it rather than driving it from wherever you start then there's other options depending on budget / terrain / your mobility

Thanks for your help Frank

Welcome 

On 19/11/2018 at 11:48, Hardcore said:

The body and bumper mounts are attached to metal plates which are held on to the chassis with 2 screws at each end. A bad roll over or impact on the front or back might snap them off and if that happens you would need to replace the chassis.

This looks terrible when you see the pictures. I would not buy one on this alone. What were they thinking?

No I didn’t buy one after a lot of bullying my friend and I decided we want to race on grass/ gravel 

plus do wooded tracks not much crawling so I went with a FTX Outlaw he went with a hobby king

Desert Rat ( I cant remember seeing a Desert in uk ) ??

so most of my posts will be on help with mods for Outlaw thanks

34 minutes ago, Annoying Thing said:

No I didn’t buy one after a lot of bullying my friend and I decided we want to race on grass/ gravel 

plus do wooded tracks not much crawling so I went with a FTX Outlaw he went with a hobby king

Desert Rat ( I cant remember seeing a Desert in uk ) ??

so most of my posts will be on help with mods for Outlaw thanks

There's an active Outlaw owners group - and by all accounts it's one of FTX's better rigs.  Needs a few upgrades, but nothing that can't be done till the original breaks.  Mine certainly takes some hammer.

• 1 year later...