• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

trail running

Lone-wolf

So mods please move if you think it should be in a different section.

What would be the best type of rc car for mainly trail running, woodland tracks and places like that, plus a bit of light crawling. Not after what make but what style, monster....rally ,fast crawler, what would you guys go for

I'd probably recommend the Sawback or BOM over the Komodo.

My brother-in-law has the Komodo and he does really love it, but the stock tyres are only fit for the bin and the bumpers mount to the body, so they can be a bit of a pain, the body also overhangs quite a bit front and rear so gets hung up from time to time, a bit more often than my Jeep G6 for example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I'd probably recommend the Sawback or BOM over the Komodo.

My brother-in-law has the Komodo and he does really love it, but the stock tyres are only fit for the bin and the bumpers mount to the body, so they can be a bit of a pain, the body also overhangs quite a bit front and rear so gets hung up from time to time, a bit more often than my Jeep G6 for example.

this is just what i want warts an all if i mention a model

Yes defo brushed, i do still really like the look of the new Taniya Dynahead due out, but its sort of new tech with the reduction hubs, and its a lot of money to find out if its good or bad, yes its sort of based on konhead, and that thing is a handful on full throttle.

I do like the buggy style like bomber or wraith but for what i want as a one only rig i think scale like a truck is best, and yes a nice bit of wheel speed is going to be good

BTW nothing defender style, really dont like defenders

Edited by Jack Reacher

Three? That's news to me, but I've not looked in ages, there's a whole Traxxarse thing going on, so a few people are turning their backs on them. 

The Summit is a fun rig, perfect trail-walker.

There is a few different versions, especially if you count the little ones.

I wouldn't vote for it though, very expensive, requires 4s to really be any good and it's too big for most trails, it just runs over fun obstacles that smaller crawlers will be able to get technical on, it's part of the reason I sold mine and also sold the Yeti XL... In short, it was too easy to use.

If you want something scale looking, you don't want wheelspeed, torque is your friend in a scale truck.

@DartmoorTrails - thanks for the plug :lol: 

• Like 1

You mean the Landfreeder? Yes, awful name!

CC-01 chassis is a good trail runner, because it's pretty capable, there are many shell options, it's simple, readily upgradable and infinitely customisable. On the tough stuff, however, an Axial, Gmade, or RC4WD are superior and would get over stuff that would beach the CC-01.

4 hours ago, PraetoR said:

You mean the Landfreeder? Yes, awful name!

CC-01 chassis is a good trail runner, because it's pretty capable, there are many shell options, it's simple, readily upgradable and infinitely customisable. On the tough stuff, however, an Axial, Gmade, or RC4WD are superior and would get over stuff that would beach the CC-01.

Yes thinking about it the CC-01 would get stuck a lot so maybe not best choice, still no rush

Depends how good you get at driving it.

I think one mistake people do is rely on YouTube reviews too much.

The CC-01 isn't known for being a very capable rock crawler, but plenty use it for trailing and it seems capable enough for most trails.

But I would still go with an Axial, Gmade or RC4WD.

FTX also make a few, but really can't comment as I don't know anyone who has owned one long term that I'd trust for reliable information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Depends how good you get at driving it.

I think one mistake people do is rely on YouTube reviews too much.

The CC-01 isn't known for being a very capable rock crawler, but plenty use it for trailing and it seems capable enough for most trails.

But I would still go with an Axial, Gmade or RC4WD.

FTX also make a few, but really can't comment as I don't know anyone who has owned one long term that I'd trust for reliable information.

I have an FTX Mauler with a Ford F-150 shell, TBH its looking like i will just keep this, but cant help looking to see if there is a model that will better serve, and so far it seems pretty tough, survived a 25ft roll side over side other day from a ledge

4 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have an FTX Mauler with a Ford F-150 shell, TBH its looking like i will just keep this, but cant help looking to see if there is a model that will better serve, and so far it seems pretty tough, survived a 25ft roll side over side other day from a ledge

Surviving roll overs is something you get quite used to with a crawler.

Considering they are designed to go slowly, even after 4 years and thousands of actual miles, my SCX10 still sometimes surprises me at the stuff it survives.

• Like 1