• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy / Buggy Flux bible.

PH001

• 2 months later...

Aloha everyone! I've had my truggy for a long time now and I finally managed to strip the read diff after installing some new wheels and tires running on a fresh 4S pack. She was doing some wheelies then bam! well you know that rest. I have not found any replacements available...what other HPI models can I use to rebuild the diffs with? I have a set from my old Savage 25 but haven't torn it apart to see if it's the same. I also read somewhere that the Vorza diffs will work..can anyone verify this to be true? Many thanks for your insight.

Edited by HiRiSC300

Thank you so much for the reply! Took away the mystery for me :) I'm residing in Pahoa which is 30 min from Hilo Hawaii. I wish I knew more people locally to bash with and with COVID, forget about it lol.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The diff casing is not the same for both shafts ,one goes lower than the other if you look inside the diff casing you will see two blocks that hold the pin higher than the other one, just remember which one was on top and put it back the same way. The gears and shafts are the same just the order you put them back in.

16 hours ago, Glenn75 said:

The diff casing is not the same for both shafts ,one goes lower than the other if you look inside the diff casing you will see two blocks that hold the pin higher than the other one, just remember which one was on top and put it back the same way. The gears and shafts are the same just the order you put them back in.

Aahhh, I just refitted mine... I didn't check... would the diff casing still go back together if they were the wrong way? Guessing not as they would be sitting too high??

On 29/10/2021 at 10:55, Glenn75 said:

Yes it goes together just feels wrong to tight and notchy but the hpi diffs feel notchy ,50/50 chance you got it right, couldn't think of a better word "notchy"

Well still got the rear diff to do so will double check with that one 🙂

Edited by Steve-O2021

9 hours ago, Glenn75 said:

I've never had issues with the diffs are you running 4s ,also what diff weight oil are you going with.

F - 7,000 wt silicone oil

C - 30,000 wt silicone oil

R - 3,000 wt silicone oil.

No diff issues either but the front would balloon up like crazy so wanted to take out the stock grease and put oil in. But while doing that thought might as well do the hardened diff gears upgrade on all 3 diffs as I bash it quite hard on rocky surfaces.

To be honest the stock diff gears had no damage but could see wear and metallic fragments in the casing after washing it out.

The main thing was the shimming that needed sorted, think I added to add 3 more shims

Edited by Steve-O2021

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

> Plastic hinge pin holder at the bottom back of front diff HPI# (aluminium upgrade Vorza#67384 or HPI #101768

I find the stock plastic front pin holder keeps snapping every so often, is the Vorza part known as a good soution to stopping this?

Thanks

Absolutely, I have metal ones front and rear on both diffs.  I'm actually tempted to see if I can replace the pins with bolts.

Here's my 13 year old resto mod (Niton to brushless conversion) which I have just finished

20230225_154333.thumb.jpg.98e4b92943c4cf488e2433238d29656c.jpg

1 hour ago, thesnake505 said:

Absolutely, I have metal ones front and rear on both diffs.  I'm actually tempted to see if I can replace the pins with bolts.

Here's my 13 year old resto mod (Niton to brushless conversion) which I have just finished

20230225_154333.thumb.jpg.98e4b92943c4cf488e2433238d29656c.jpg

Nice looking good

Ordered a one, hopefully I didn't do and more damage as I drove it slowly for another 5 miles with the driveshaft flopping about everywhere, couldn't be arsed carrying it lol

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2023 at 09:32, Steve-O2021 said:

> Plastic hinge pin holder at the bottom back of front diff HPI# (aluminium upgrade Vorza#67384 or HPI #101768

I find the stock plastic front pin holder keeps snapping every so often, is the Vorza part known as a good soution to stopping this?

Thanks

I have the GPM alloy holders on mine. Also have the hinge pins off the D812. I don't think I've ran mine for about 4 years now though!. 

• 1 month later...

How are you all doing.  I am here in vegas writing this and thought I would share  stuff I learned with you as I am rebuilding  my Truggy into its 3rd revision . Oh and thanks for putting this  topic up.  

1st thing that caused me problems was Page 28 to 31 when rebuilding the rear suspension.. 

It's wrong, it seems to be for a Buggy but it's on the Truggy manual.  

2nd this is if your upgrading your diff gears to hardened ones I would recommend upgrading the diff case to 7075 instead of plastic. They can be found on ebay for less then 15 bucks. Also my the little gears did not need shimming as the hardened ones fit perfectly in them. They don't warp under heat at all, and vegas is Hot.

And third which I never notice before was on was in the manual on page 34, top right.

two screws that are above the joint cup on either side. They aren't even on the car when bought.  I think I use 3mm screw because 3.5 was to big.  These help stop the front top plate screws from stripping out when you hit the front hard as the apply more lateral pressure on the top plate screws.   I did the same to the back one and haven't stripped anything yet.

And last for now... get rid of that back bumper!.

If you land hard on in it will Rip the screws out of the case and strip it.. I have done it twice and now no more bumper, no more problem.

I wish I could show you pick but i can't figure out how to upload them sorry.  if any one can message me how I would appreciate it.   .

Some parts i have on my Truggy now are as follows:

7075 diff case all around with hd gears

titanium shock towers from gard core racing

Gpm shocks

Gpm steering assembly.

Gpm front and rear knucks and c-hubs

6s traxxis 2200 

and Hotbodies 7075 front and rear suspension holders.

Oh and I have 2 shocks per arm.

We have Big Rocks in vegas so I need it tough. Hope this help and thanks for the info you have all given me in this new build here.

• Like 2