• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lean Mixture

Glencmp

Hi There, just a quick question for the Gurus :) 

Ive popped a K&N Filter on my FS Racing 1/5 2 Stroke, and it goes like the Bats! now the tuning is stock from the factor and never touched, but I was told that the mixture is slightly rich to help with the bedding in process, so since Ive installed the new filter it now should run it a little leaner, but any idea how much and will this need tweaked? is there anything I should listen for or look for like the colour of the Spark plug etc

Thanks Once again :) 

PS If you fit a 5000ma Hump battery to this, it will fit in the Battery compartment perfect :) 

Cheers

Glen

It won't have a particularly massive effect on the carb really, if there is still a whisp of blue smoke and the engine is starting fine, idling fine and hitting good RPMs, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would however, be very careful if you run in any kind of dirt, K&N filters are such a bad idea for off roaders as they let in so much crap, if you're running in dusty conditions or sand, I'd say dump it for a good quality foam filter.

• Like 1

Thanks for that :) Yes a couple of guys have said that and in honesty I can run the truck in very Dusty conditions but Ive kept the original filter for that purpose, but normally the old girl will run in a nice grassy field :) 

Yes there is Blue smoke, not as much as there was, but its starts just fine, idles perfect, but I've not had it out properly as I was a bit worried in case it was running lean, and I blow something up :) 

Far better to run foam air filters if running off road. 

If you're unsure it's lean. Get the truck warm give it a good blast and then check the colour of your spark plug. It's always worth trying this with either a new or clean plug. 

It's one of the methods I use to check the fueling on my KTM two stroke. 

Thanks for that :) Its a brand new NGK Plug but I cant find what colour it should be, there a millions for cars but not 2 strokes, mine at the moment is a light brown? but I wont adjust anything until its had a really good run.

Ive been warned about the K&N, so it wont be ran on anything except Tar or grass :)