• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 Brushless conversion

noddy_2121

Hi all,

just about got my head around this project.

final bit I'm struggling with is the receiver box. Where does this go and which receiver box do I need to use / buy?

i see the losi 8ight tray only holds the battery and ESC. Iv google imaged hyper 7 Brushless conversion but the images aren't clear and I just can't work it out.

thanks

15 minutes ago, noddy_2121 said:

Hi all,

just about got my head around this project.

final bit I'm struggling with is the receiver box. Where does this go and which receiver box do I need to use / buy?

i see the losi 8ight tray only holds the battery and ESC. Iv google imaged hyper 7 Brushless conversion but the images aren't clear and I just can't work it out.

thanks

Same as you do with Trophy Truggy 4.6.

Cut the mounting plate in half leaving only the servo part and a few uprights in place.

Like so:

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/hyper-7-brushless-conversion.65247/

He butchered his a bit much later on imo.

This is enough for me.

440085074_zqbk8-xl-jpg.42620

Edited by dazp1976

4 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I usually mount my RX above the centre diff.  Usually people use a traxxas waterproof box if they want to.  On one of mine I re purposed the nitro rx box.

23523193081_9c86d75de3_k.jpg

Ok thank you, i would rather make use of the hyper 7 receiver box I already have.

but...

a - will the body shell still fit when mounting on top of the centre diff?

b - what holes do I use to secure / attach the receiver box to the centre diff?

3 minutes ago, noddy_2121 said:

Ok thank you, i would rather make use of the hyper 7 receiver box I already have.

but...

a - will the body shell still fit when mounting on top of the centre diff?

b - what holes do I use to secure / attach the receiver box to the centre diff?

Prob not - the pic above is the SCT version.  I purely used a template to use slightly longer screws that secure the top diff plate.

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

My Hyper ST has a Traxxas box on top of the servo. Nice fit. 

Did you have to drill extra holes?

which Traxxas receiver box please?

alao, does your body shell still fit?

27 minutes ago, noddy_2121 said:

Did you have to drill extra holes?

which Traxxas receiver box please?

alao, does your body shell still fit?

ST has much more room underneath the shell than the 7.  This one should be able to be 'made' to fit on top of your centre diff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stampede-4x4-VXL-WATERPROOF-RECEIVER-BOX-3628-Traxxas-6708-/371278545679

s-l1600.jpg

The plate on top of my servo is a solid piece of plastic, just drilled two holes and tapped the screws straight in. Can't remember the part number, but someone will know. Linked above! Doh!

I do have more room than the buggy, as mentioned, so you might be better putting it on the CD as advised. 

Edited by Tug

5 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

I use the Traxxas box mounted to the side guard6fb797564ad77bbcb0bdb5d637580d60.jpg

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Ah I see! Perfect. 

I assume your body shell still fits on with the receiver box being on the side plate like that?

from which Traxxas model is that receiver box please? How did you attach the receiver box to the side guard? Presume you screwed through from underneath but are the holes counter sunk?

also, what battery tray / ESC mount are you using and which motor mount is it please?

the pic you attached is very helpful thank you.

Edited by noddy_2121

Gav I have a few questions if you don't mind? 

1 - why is the front impact bar moved?

2 - what is the part next to the impact bar? There looks to be a marching blue one on the back. What are these parts?

3 - what is the white and red disconnected cable for coming from the receiver box?

IGNORE THIS!! I think it's the on off switch...

4 - why is there no pinion gear?

5 - what ESC battery mount are you using?

6 - what motor mount are you using?

7 - from which Traxxas model is your receiver box from?

8 - what ESC and motor combo are you using?

9 - what battery are you using?

10 - how did you attach the Traxxas receiver box to the side guard? Self tappers? Do they pertrude on the underside? Or are they flush?

11 - what body shell do you use?

Edited by noddy_2121

Ah I see! Perfect. 

I assume your body shell still fits on with the receiver box being on the side plate like that?

from which Traxxas model is that receiver box please? How did you attach the receiver box to the side guard? Presume you screwed through from underneath but are the holes counter sunk?

also, what battery tray / ESC mount are you using and which motor mount is it please?

the pic you attached is very helpful thank you.
Body shell fits fine mate.

The receiver box was from my old Traxxas Bandit and you are right the fitting was 2x screw holes underneath and countersunk, I originally tried to servo tape it but it wasn't tough enough!

The motor mount is custom, my dad made it for me, it's a great bit of kit but a 1 off I'm afraid, I did try getting him to make more, as suggested dazp makes a decent mount.

Battery tray/ESC mount was Losi tray I ended up getting it from America as they are a pain to source over here, it's ok but I'm not 100% happy with the ESC placement.

Gav I have a few questions if you don't mind? 

1 - why is the front impact bar moved?
A: it's not removed I'm using CNC ones instead, check out my build thread, I then reused the bar to strengthen up to the centre diff top plate

2 - what is the part next to the impact bar? There looks to be a marching blue one on the back. What are these parts?
A: see above

3 - what is the white and red disconnected cable for coming from the receiver box?
IGNORE THIS!! I think it's the on off switch...
A: correct

4 - why is there no pinion gear?
A: I didn't use threadloc and it fell off, I now use threadloc!

5 - what ESC battery mount are you using?
A: Losi tray

6 - what motor mount are you using?
A: custom mount my dad made

7 - from which Traxxas model is your receiver box from?
A: Traxxas Bandit but it's used on others also

8 - what ESC and motor combo are you using?
A: ESC is Hobbywing Quicrun WP 8BL150 it's 150a ESC, motor is a 2000kv Leopard 4074 also buy a program card for whichever ESC you use

9 - what battery are you using?
A: I run 5S and 6S, my motor is quite a low KV though, the cheapest ones on hobbyking or use 2x 3S if you have them

10 - how did you attach the Traxxas receiver box to the side guard? Self tappers? Do they pertrude on the underside? Or are they flush?
A: see previous reply, but no I didn't use self tappers as the box has tapped holes on the bottom

11 - what body shell do you use?
A: standard Hyper 7 shell from modelsport

All answers above buddy, but check out my build thread it is long but I've been through the same process as you.

Hope that helps, sorry about not colouring the answers a different shade but I'm using Tapatalk!

• Like 1

Is it from a losi 8ight? 

Why dont you like the ESC placement?

yeah I'm ordering the motor mount from Daz.

Yes Losi 8ight and it's just too close to the rear wheels it gets hammered with dirt

4 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

All answers above buddy, but check out my build thread it is long but I've been through the same process as you.

Hope that helps, sorry about not colouring the answers a different shade but I'm using Tapatalk!

Really appreciate this pal!!

do you have a link to your build thread please?

also, the lower the kv of the motor means the higher voltage of the battery? Is that correct?

30 minutes ago, noddy_2121 said:

also, the lower the kv of the motor means the higher voltage of the battery? Is that correct? 

Yes...and no.

KV gives an indication of the RPM per volt. Higher voltages will spin the motor faster.

So...if you choose a high KV motor and run high voltage, you will have a very high speed at the motor shaft, which you have to translate into motion. You will also have less torque and potentially higher current draw from the ESC. These things can end up expensively smokey.

Lower KV will give less spin speed, but more torque and as teh current draw is lower...better heat efficiency.

I was taught to work through my electric setup and just make doubly sure everything was compatable. Find out what the max current draw of your motor is. Then make sure the ESC can cope with that on full load. Then make sure your batteries can deliver the amps. Finally...there are some useful gearing calculators out there....which will make sure you get the gearing right. Overgearing will fry the ESC. Under gearing can cook the motor .

Buying a well tried combo like the Quicrun 150A ESC along with the 4074 can is a good option really. Will run OK on 4S. Can run 5S or 6S. I bought a misture of 5000Mah 2S and 3S packs so I could run a variety of voltages depending on conditions and space to play in.

Really appreciate this pal!!

do you have a link to your build thread please?

Sorry I'm on hols so I can't link from taptalk it's a bit of a pain, when I return I can get a link if you haven't found it by then.