• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A nice little project WPL C14

RC4WD fan

1 hour ago, RC4WD fan said:

Well decide to try and put the new metal drive/prop shafts on only to be met with one small problem at a time (see what I did there ?) started by taking the front axle off  finally getting what ever you call this part of an axle? then working out that on mine at least the drive/prop shaft was glued on the input shaft with a little help from a lighter to soften the plastic I got it off  then to realise the input shaft was a tiny bit big image.jpg not gonna be as straight forward as I first thought ?

Well, that's a pain.  Makes you wonder what model these parts were really made for... I guess time to either drill out the prop or machine down the input shaft.

I fitted the motor to mine.. makes a huge difference.  Plenty of torque, reverse works fine.  Here is a comparison:

124294176_twomotors.jpg.56b495cc64abebf850653bc4e25ee625.jpg

and the specs from the new one:

1605519216_180motor.jpg.48e600a238c40f8425c06eba8f7266c4.jpg

My only worry is the 2.4V bit!!  Guessing 2480V is the RPM/V which is a bit lower than the usual 180 spec.

Edit : 12000rpm @ 6V are easy to get = 2000 RPM/V

Edited by ghazghul
  • Thanks 1

Well went from grinding the input shafimage.jpg now fits the grub screws and insanity small you can't tighten them down properly so threadlock is very much needed image.jpg now this is were things went south the plastic bushing now slides out ?  image.jpgso the input shaft needs to be shortened and in doing so I cut to much off ? so now I need to find or buy a new one or a complete axle only about £6-£7 on eBay but still ? I got quite angry at this point and put it away before I broke something else ? will continue when the new axle comes in 4/5 weeks probably ? 

Edited by RC4WD fan

3 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Well, that's a pain.  Makes you wonder what model these parts were really made for... I guess time to either drill out the prop or machine down the input shaft.

I fitted the motor to mine.. makes a huge difference.  Plenty of torque, reverse works fine.  Here is a comparison:

124294176_twomotors.jpg.56b495cc64abebf850653bc4e25ee625.jpg

and the specs from the new one:

1605519216_180motor.jpg.48e600a238c40f8425c06eba8f7266c4.jpg

My only worry is the 2.4V bit!!  Guessing 2480V is the RPM/V which is a bit lower than the usual 180 spec.

Edit : 12000rpm @ 6V are easy to get = 2000 RPM/V

Think a new motor will be plan B if the 2 speed box doesn't show up need to wait till the 29th though ?

5 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

The 2 speed box has arrived:yahoo: 

but as I've said I messed up the front input shaft so yeah I still need to order a new one ? 

Excellent, that means mine might not be a lost cause.  Was hoping to get mine ready for holiday in Dorset (leaving Friday) but I don't want to do much without the paint finished.  I'll just have to take something else (or two) instead.  The Scout is reliably good fun.

Edit: Parcel that arrived today was a camera cable I had ordered from Amazon, which means the red card yesterday might be my gearbox...

Edited by ghazghul

1 hour ago, ghazghul said:

Excellent, that means mine might not be a lost cause.  Was hoping to get mine ready for holiday in Dorset (leaving Friday) but I don't want to do much without the paint finished.  I'll just have to take something else (or two) instead.  The Scout is reliably good fun.

Edit: Parcel that arrived today was a camera cable I had ordered from Amazon, which means the red card yesterday might be my gearbox...

Might be ? though it's small enough to fit through the letter box 

Got the new box in image.jpg now it left me with a problem the new upper left link gets in the way of the servo so put the link on the outside and made a little exstension for the axle truss image.jpg seems to work ok will see how it goes and putting the drive/prop shaft in is a nightmare the grub screws are so small you can't tighten them up very good only a matter of time before the back out I've put lots of threadlock on so hopefully will stay put image.jpg hopefully the new front axle will be here by the weekend but even trying it in RWD it's so much nicer than the stupid stock one ?

• Like 1

Looking like good progress.  That motor looks like a decent upgrade in size.

Planning on locking mine in low range I think, hoping that stops the servo space issue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Looking like good progress.  That motor looks like a decent upgrade in size.

Planning on locking mine in low range I think, hoping that stops the servo space issue.

If your using the stock links then there's no problem with space for the servo ? it's only the rear left upper link that's the problem if you use the metal ones as the ball ends are a lot bigger than the stock ones 

but me being me wanted metal links and a small headache that come with it ?

My two speed showed up but no time to do more than look at it before holiday.
Should have bought the WPL with me as a mile long climb on broken road right behind cottage that would have been a great challenge for it but is too smooth to bother the Scout.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ghazghul said:

My two speed showed up

You seriously need to put the 2 speed in what a difference ?

in low gear all the torque you want for this little truck and in high a nice turn of speed ? 

fixed the front input shaft and it's now 4WD again ? image.jpg only had a bench test but it's a completely different rig now ? still need to do a couple of small things before I'm 100% happy with the chassis then as the nights are starting get longer I'm going to start on the camper ?

more soon ?

• Like 1

Ok so had a proper go with the truck this morning and was having great fun in the garden for about 15 minutes when the tiny little grub screws decided to back off even with threadlock there so small you can't tighten them down measured them and it's 2mmx2mm and the allen head is 1mm @ghazghul have you put yours on yet of so how are they for you ? 

2 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Ok so had a proper go with the truck this morning and was having great fun in the garden for about 15 minutes when the tiny little grub screws decided to back off even with threadlock there so small you can't tighten them down measured them and it's 2mmx2mm and the allen head is 1mm @ghazghul have you put yours on yet of so how are they for you ? 

I had a quick look this afternoon (been on holiday until yesterday) and already had a grub screw vanish on to the garage floor.  Quick sweep with a magnet didn't locate it.  Will have a proper go tomorrow.  The hex key supplied doesn't seem the best fit on them.. either that or the heads on the set screws are rounded.  I don't have a 1mm alternate to try though.  I am thinking of drilling right through the outputs and putting a pin through.  I might shorten the outputs from the two speed too, will see how it all fits together.

3 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

I had a quick look this afternoon (been on holiday until yesterday) and already had a grub screw vanish on to the garage floor.  Quick sweep with a magnet didn't locate it.  Will have a proper go tomorrow.  The hex key supplied doesn't seem the best fit on them.. either that or the heads on the set screws are rounded.  I don't have a 1mm alternate to try though.  I am thinking of drilling right through the outputs and putting a pin through.  I might shorten the outputs from the two speed too, will see how it all fits together.

Yep same for me to I've shortened the inputs on the axles thinking of shortening the out outputs on the box aswell at lest I have something to do tomorrow ?let us know how you get on ?

I fitted the two speed and the drive shafts today.  Took a fair bit of fiddling.  Like you I managed to cut one input shaft a bit short.  I didn't allow for the saw blade width.  Filing flats on all the places where the drive shafts attached really helped getting them to stay attached.  I even added a touch of back slope on the "flat" to help lock them in place.  If that doesn't hold I'll make a jig and try drilling them right through and fitting a pin.

I also had trouble with the diff pinions not wanting to stay attached after being pulled off, so I ended up glueing them on.  The front diff has developed an occasional click, but only when braking.  I did try shimming it, but it seemed to make it worse. I do like being able to undo four bolts to access the diff.

I initially thought the default gearbox position was low drive, until I changed it.  The low drive is really nice and slow!  Bit worried about the torque breaking things.  High gear isn't too fast and will still climb pretty well, even in reverse. 

Final bit of paint (for now) is drying to will re-assemble everything tonight.  Oh, and need to install the servo on the gear box too.

Edited by ghazghul
  • Thanks 1

Still having issues with the drive shafts.  Found an single M2 bolt and in mics slightly larger than the stock grub screws but threads in perfectly.  It's holding one shaft really solid on it's own.  I've ordered a few socket cap M2 (because they use 1.5mm hex keys) and some M2 set screws (0.9mm key, the stock key is just under this, might be why it's useless.).  I'll see if the set screws work better than the stock and if not try and drill though the diff input shafts and use the socket cap bolts right through.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Still having issues with the drive shafts.  Found an single M2 bolt and in mics slightly larger than the stock grub screws but threads in perfectly.  It's holding one shaft really solid on it's own.  I've ordered a few socket cap M2 (because they use 1.5mm hex keys) and some M2 set screws (0.9mm key, the stock key is just under this, might be why it's useless.).  I'll see if the set screws work better than the stock and if not try and drill though the diff input shafts and use the socket cap bolts right through.

I've done just that but I just cut the bolts down but I can actually tighten them down now so hopefully it has sorted that problem that out ? image.jpg Used plenty of threadlock aswell ?might be getting a colour change to ?

• Like 1

Excellent, glad to know the bolts will work.

Mine now looks like this.  Mobile phone picture indoors as it's pouring out there:

paint.thumb.jpg.05560dfe88fa554badf8ce412667a4ec.jpg

I need to find the snorkel top which I removed at some point painting bits matt black.  Next job is to start planning the cage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Excellent, glad to know the bolts will work.

Mine now looks like this.  Mobile phone picture indoors as it's pouring out there:

paint.thumb.jpg.05560dfe88fa554badf8ce412667a4ec.jpg

I need to find the snorkel top which I removed at some point painting bits matt black.  Next job is to start planning the cage.

That looks good ? the chassis looks much better in black giving me the urge to paint mine ? 

7 hours ago, ghazghul said:

It stopped raining!:

29374632577_a03a2007ea.jpg

44262743472_50ffe37117.jpg

29374681387_1e26b3ce54.jpg

Excuse the rear view of the dog...

Looking good mate ? hopefully I'll get to give mine a proper shake down soon bit to wet in the garden lately ?

M2x3 grub screws go in nice and tight and only stick out a touch if you have put a flat on the shafts.  I even had to run a cap head bolt through a couple of times to clean up the thread before they would go in, so they are snug.  Theuy are cup point so grip well.  I used the hex key that came with the shafts.  A drop of Loctite and they shouldn't go anywhere.  Contemplating shortening the output shafts from the gearbox as they look a bit messy long.  I think it might lift the prop shafts a bit too as the two speed does drop them below the links more than I like.

• 1 year later...