• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

shed locks

The Italian job

having been kicked out of my spare room I am having to move all my tools and rc cars to the shed!!! any ideas on what is the best locks to keep them safe? I am fitting window locks and covering the inside with chicken wire- the idea is that if they get through the wooden panels they won't be expecting wire , and will take longer to get through and hopefully get spotted. I am looking for a decent door lock.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

A good light covering the door on sensor deny them darkness. 

Pebbles and stones make sure they can't walk silently. 

Lock boxes inside anchored mayb. 

Cheap shed alarm just two magnets when apart they sound off. They just stick on the door and are loud. But sound off everytime the door is opened lol. 

3x hinges. 2x padlocks top and abit lower than middle. 

That's what ill be doing all but pebbles lol. Neighbor has those tho and not even their cat gets across silent. 

So many sheds get robbed nothing is to far just equal to whats inside. My shed was targeted the night I used a 5th scale in the afternoon. Next day shed door swinging in the wind. But i keep my stuff inside lol. No rust no risk no robbers lol. 

Thanks for the advice. Will look at cheap alarm. Also think I might try and find somewhere indoors to store my cars and just store spares and tools out there,and use it as a workshop. Are the round padlocks used on the back of vans and better than standard padlocks?. I am guessing that if someone wants to get in they will, so just trying to make it more difficult and hope they get spotted/ or fed up and leave.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

https://www.mul-t-lock.com/en/site/mul-t-lock/products/padlocks/round-padlocks/round-padlock-hockey-puck-type/ is what I have on my workshop. They've been outside for years and work perfectly - 3 in total.  There's no way someone is cutting through one without a blow torch. I've also got motion activated lights on the workshop above the doors so you can't approach it without them turning on and setup in a pair, so they also turn on the lights nearer the house and some lights down the garden path all at the same time. Also got an alarm system which the previous owner put in, that was actually quite cheap. That has a motion detector as well as door alarms, so even if they break in through the side, an alarm will go off either way. Probably cost 250 quid with a 70 a year maintenance fee.

Edited by mond

I don't use normal screws on the hinges either. I drill right through and use cup bolts w/ nuts on the inside. Stops them being able to pop the hinges. Or use security screws but the screwdriver bits for mounting/un mounting them are more commonly available now

As said, 2 beefy padlocks.

Frosted safety window glass with the wire in it but that's going a bit far now.

Led sensor light.

I've got my garage doors hooked up to a zone on the house alarm via magnet blocks.

I have a standard light on a timer up to to about 11 (lights the garden a bit to sit out) then the sensor one on a timer to be active thereafter.

All my expensive electrical kit like chargers/supplies and lipo's are kept in the house.

15 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Large canine??

UJT4Mkt.gif

Ultimately that is the answer. Large dog, ideally black so all they can see is the teeth. Problem is it also scares away the guy who delivers curry.

• Haha 1

All you can do is deter the “opportunists” you won’t deter a professional, thankfully I’ve nowt worth taking I’m my shed, all crap and they would do me a favour takin it.

seriously though motion activated lights, various locks and make sure to door and frame is solid too.

9 minutes ago, mond said:

Problem is it also scares away the guy who delivers curry

That's too funny:D

My bro had his norco, and a few other bikes, nicked from his shed in Preston, shed was really secure, good latch / twin padlock and security light.... Still nicked it....police came and said they even knew which gang of chavs are committing the rampant thefts...but had little evidence...

Perils of living in the crime rife north I suppose....

PS he was covered on his contents insurance

Edited by Fly In My Soup

10 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

That's too funny:D

My bro had his norco, and a few other bikes, nicked from his shed in Preston, shed was really secure, good latch / twin padlock and security light.... Still nicked it....police came and said they even knew which gang of chavs are committing the rampant thefts...but had little evidence...

Perils of living in the crime rife north I suppose....

PS he was covered on his contents insurance

I don't think it covers rc's. You have to take out a separate policy.

Mine says specifically no battery vehicles are covered. So that's the cars and the moby scooter :ack:

• Like 1

when I had mine in the shed I used two latch bolts with padlocks and a door alarm, the alarm was really good and very loud, just put a good set of batteries   in and will last ages. and a staffy with a nasty lock jaw lol

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019CNLT2S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by kenny_st

Depends on the insurance. I've got a policy from the NFU that is completely unspecific and covers out buildings. Only catch is you have to be rural or semi rural for them to sell it to you. It's very competitive as well, no more expensive than anyone else. We had limited choice as quite a few won't insure a property older than 1700 even more get funny about listed buildings. Can recommend.

• Like 1