• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Racing rules? What engine for racing nitro buggy?

Hi Guys. Just considering getting back on the road with a nitro buggy.

Based on another forum users advise I’m considering a HoBao Hyper VS. 

My brief was was that I wanted an easy to maintain/tune buggy that could be used as an entry level occasional racer - or at least used on a track such as Sloughs off road track. 

Looking at the race results it’s clear that when/if the racing bug bites I’ll have to spend more cash but at the moment I just want to dip my toe in the water.

What engine size should I get? I assume there are rules to racing and that everyone has to use a .21 engine? 

All the info you need should be available here:

https://www.brca.org/sections/8rx

And your spot on with a .21cc.  Pref one that eke's out the nitro as much as possible!  It's very much worth making contact with your local club (and be prepared for someone telling you you NEED ;)  a tekno, kyosho etc! But they should be able to advise what tyres people run there (mini pins usually for dry astro, spirals for wet - dirt i've no idea) and other useful tips.  Then get yourself down there before purchase and see if there's any bargains to be snapped up.

c

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am not a million miles from Slough so would love to hear how you get on, I might have to get myself down to the track sometime (I have never been), I am afraid I can't help you on the Nitro side but I would say that the Hyper VS looks decent, it is based around the Hyper 7 which I have only mine is electric, and it is a tough little thing!

One piece of advice would be get a starter box for whatever buggy you get. Pull starts and the likes are ok but the thing that made nitro buggy’s a nice experience was being able to start it easily. 

I used to race at slough many years ago and they were always a really nice group of lads. Always helpful whenever you had an issue. Which for me was often. Haha. 

Move been out of nitro for a while but look at the 1/8th section on the brca website and you’ll find all the info you need. 

The hyper vs roller always lols like a good kit. I started out with a hyper7 which was excellent and easily tuned/upgraded. I got an Xray in the end which was in another league but not really necessary unless you’ve go the coin and like flash cars. Haha. 

14 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am not a million miles from Slough so would love to hear how you get on, I might have to get myself down to the track sometime (I have never been), I am afraid I can't help you on the Nitro side but I would say that the Hyper VS looks decent, it is based around the Hyper 7 which I have only mine is electric, and it is a tough little thing!

I’ll be sure to keep you posted if and when I get myself over to Slough! Looks like a great track from what I’ve seen from YouTube etc. 

Looking at all the past results it seems that everyone is running £600 rolling chassis with £300 engines though!!

41 minutes ago, toppers3933 said:

One piece of advice would be get a starter box for whatever buggy you get. Pull starts and the likes are ok but the thing that made nitro buggy’s a nice experience was being able to start it easily. 

I used to race at slough many years ago and they were always a really nice group of lads. Always helpful whenever you had an issue. Which for me was often. Haha. 

Move been out of nitro for a while but look at the 1/8th section on the brca website and you’ll find all the info you need. 

The hyper vs roller always lols like a good kit. I started out with a hyper7 which was excellent and easily tuned/upgraded. I got an Xray in the end which was in another league but not really necessary unless you’ve go the coin and like flash cars. Haha. 

Did lap times massively reduce when you spent more money? It would be great to see a pro take a £200 car around a track and then see them take their pro car around - I wonder how much difference in lap times there would actually be?

Good shout on the starter box. Can any pull start engine be changed to work with a box? I have an old starter box from a Truggy that I’m planning on selling so I’ll hold that back :)

6 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Did lap times massively reduce when you spent more money? It would be great to see a pro take a £200 car around a track and then see them take their pro car around - I wonder how much difference in lap times there would actually be?

Good shout on the starter box. Can any pull start engine be changed to work with a box? I have an old starter box from a Truggy that I’m planning on selling so I’ll hold that back :)

Some engines can be converted to remove the pull start. Some not so. 

What I found with the better buggy was stuff broke less. Some of that was me getting better but I never ever broke the xray. The hyper on the other hand I broke a few times. Plus side was it was cheap to repair. 

The xray finished more races than the hyper did. That’s not to say the hyper was bad. It was a great buggy and got relegated to basher when the xray came along. 

Personally id buy a hyper roller chassis and add my own engine and servos. 

Its unlikely you can get a blank backplate for a pullstart engine to convert, however you can use a starter box on a pullstart engine, just make sure to get direction of the starter correct as it will damage the one way if forced in reverse., you can remove the cord so it does not get tangled.

2 hours ago, brit_bulldog said:

Its unlikely you can get a blank backplate for a pullstart engine to convert, however you can use a starter box on a pullstart engine, just make sure to get direction of the starter correct as it will damage the one way if forced in reverse., you can remove the cord so it does not get tangled.

Thanks @brit_bulldog that makes sense.

If I were to buy a new non pull start .21 engine for a little but of racing what would you recommend? I've tried searching the forums as assumed this would be a regulary asked question but anything I find seems to be a really old thread now :(

2 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Thanks @brit_bulldog that makes sense.

If I were to buy a new non pull start .21 engine for a little but of racing what would you recommend? I've tried searching the forums as assumed this would be a regulary asked question but anything I find seems to be a really old thread now :(

On a budget the X-act engines take some beating (so to speak).  This one in particular (if you can find one now)

http://xact-rc.com/home/89-x-21pro8italia-x-act-21-pro-8-italia-nitro-engine-8p-turbo-button-by-novarossi.html