• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

esc issue

marc83

so i was out bashing the savage earlier and i had a small ish crash/roll, when i turned it back over i had no throttle at all but still had steering. i took off the shell to find that i had no light on the esc anymore and when i disconnected and then reconnected the batteries it did not do its usual light up and beeps. im thinking that the esc is shot but thought i would ask you guys if there is anything i can do/try first. my esc is a Hobbywing Ezrun 150a pro.

If it turns out that the esc is dead then should i replace with the same or is there anything else that you guys recommend?

Cheers

Marc

13 minutes ago, Tug said:

I have one of these, great ESCs, but weak BEC. You can try using an external uBEC as I do, works fine that way. 

Or just replace with a Max8.

Looks like i may need to replace as im not getting anything from it when i connect the batteries :crying:

3 minutes ago, marc83 said:

Looks like i may need to replace as im not getting anything from it when i connect the batteries :crying:

Receiver plug not fell out? Broken solder joint on the esc board?

Quicrun 150 or a Max8 if you need any waterproofing.

Skyrc TS150 with lcd programmer if not or still the above 2.

These are the only 3 I touch.

Etronix Photon 150 seems alright so far but for the price now may as well stick with the top 3.

the receiver is brand new and was out on its first run, it was plugged in fine and i was getting power to it from the esc and i had steering. i forgot to mention that the fan would still work when the batteries were connected but no light on esc and no beeps (normally 4 or 6 depending on what batteries i use) had a look at the circuit board and i cant see anything obvious except for 2 of the 3 capacitors do have a bit of movement if touched.

45 minutes ago, marc83 said:

the receiver is brand new and was out on its first run, it was plugged in fine and i was getting power to it from the esc and i had steering. i forgot to mention that the fan would still work when the batteries were connected but no light on esc and no beeps (normally 4 or 6 depending on what batteries i use) had a look at the circuit board and i cant see anything obvious except for 2 of the 3 capacitors do have a bit of movement if touched.

Can you post pictures of both sides of the board?

22 minutes ago, marc83 said:

Didn't realise it was the motor that beeper. I do normally get a red and green light on the esc though. Will try to get some pics up later

I was doing some searching earlier and came across a post where someone got one of these ESC's muddy and wet. It took out a row of the drive FETs 

That's definitely not the BEC then, sounds like it's dead. Could be motor connections or just a dead motor, but the ESC is far more prone to failure than the motor which is just a collection of copper windings. 

3 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

I was doing some searching earlier and came across a post where someone got one of these ESC's muddy and wet. It took out a row of the drive FETs 

If you got it wet then it's prob toast.

It doesn't mention any kind of water resistance.

On 01/04/2018 at 20:43, Tug said:

That's definitely not the BEC then, sounds like it's dead. Could be motor connections or just a dead motor, but the ESC is far more prone to failure than the motor which is just a collection of copper windings. 

Is there a way of testing a motor without an esc? 

Testing motors would require some high-end electronics I'd imagine, something that reads very low resistances, not really sure. 

That looks a mess, the groups of resistor looking things don't look right. 

12 hours ago, marc83 said:

Here is pics of the board

IMG-20180401-WA0004.jpeg

20180401_210628.jpg

12 hours ago, WiLLiE said:

The two capacitors from the positive side look like there shot , the tops should be flat , unless it’s the camera angle ..

That L/H cap is definitely toast and if it's failed dead short then that will be at least some of the issue.

Have you pried up the gold heatsink bits to check the FETs underneath?

This is the blown one I found here: http://www.rcindependent.com/wbb3/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=71475 . Note the cratered FETs

39415944640_3ee1cdfee8_c.jpg

13 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

That L/H cap is definitely toast and if it's failed dead short then that will be at least some of the issue.

Have you pried up the gold heatsink bits to check the FETs underneath?

I think that my caps got damaged by my xt90 connectors that usually sit just behind the, i have found the same cap's online cheap so may replace the and give it a try before it goes in the bin. My Fets look ok to me and dont seem to look like the ones in that pic, i havent looked under the gold heat sinks as i want sure if they came off or not, i just gave it a go but they seem very hard to the point where i feel like i will damage the whole board if i  remove them.

12 hours ago, marc83 said:

Sounds like a good plan. I'd also give the board a good clean with a brush and some contact cleaner. If the fix works before you completely reassemble you could apply a conformal coating to the PCB to help protect it from water ingress in the future.

Just a quick update: I changed the caps out and still nothing so it looks like it is dead. Unfortunately now on the hunt for a new esc. Considering taking the mamba x out of my slash