• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Transmission or slipper clutch??

Dreadz

Ok so I'm still new to all this, especially the maintenance and repairs on my son's stampede so I need some advice please.

His truck ground to a halt suddenly the other day. The wheels will spin when lifted off the ground but it won't drive when it's on the ground. I kind of assumed it was the slipper clutch so took that apart, checked pads which seem to be well over the 1.8mm traxxas say is the minimum, ran a mild abrasive over both the pads and the plate, reassembled it but still no drive. The clutch either slips or the spur and pinion just judder back and forth without spinning and make a hideous noise. The spring looks like it may have been overcompressed at some point previously (2nd hand truck) as it slightly mishapen. Would this likely be the root of the problem, do i need to replace the pads and plate as saw somewhere that once they start to slip like this it's time to replace them, or am I likely to need to get acquainted with the inner workings of the transmission.

Thanks.