• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rain...

noddy_2121

Morning all,

does anyomr run their electric rc cars in the rain?

so annoyed, waited all week to take my Rustler out for a bash and it's raining!!!

i know they are technically water proof but still not sure if it's a good idea or not!

just after people's opinions please.

thanks

Read your manual, you'll find all the info in there. Traxxas are renowned for excellent paperwork, very detailed booklets that come with every car. 

Running a waterproof car in the wet is huge fun, but requires a lot of aftercare to keep it running. One point I always mention when answering this is bearings; they rust. The gears all run on bearings, their teeth held in alignment perfectly by those bearings. Once a bearing rusts it's prone to failure, then the gears are out of alignment and will destroy one another. 

Wet-running is great fun, but don't do it unless you're prepared to do the required work afterwards. 

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

Read your manual, you'll find all the info in there. Traxxas are renowned for excellent paperwork, very detailed booklets that come with every car. 

Running a waterproof car in the wet is huge fun, but requires a lot of aftercare to keep it running. One point I always mention when answering this is bearings; they rust. The gears all run on bearings, their teeth held in alignment perfectly by those bearings. Once a bearing rusts it's prone to failure, then the gears are out of alignment and will destroy one another. 

Wet-running is great fun, but don't do it unless you're prepared to do the required work afterwards. 

Thank you, if I didn't have a wife and two year old daughter I would happily spend 7 hours on the maintenance afterwards ;) I will stick to dry days.

thanks for the info.

Also worth mentioning cooling fans; protect them! Mine usually wrapped in lady's tights, this allows airflow, but keeps grit, twigs and blades of grass from jamming the blades. It only takes a tiny obstruction to jam a fan, or even snap off one or more blades. 

I don't bash in the rain, but I am quite happy to drive through the bigger puddles and mud. It just means that when you finish give it a wash with clean water, squirt some oil at the bearings to displace all the water so they don't seize and let it dry.

Just makes sure your electrics are waterproof. I have some super Rx's for my absima which are properly waterproof. They have been fully submerged and not cared. The biggest issue I have with the wet is the LiPo alarms go haywire, detect extra cells and all sort of madness. Otherwise everything holds up fine.

• Like 1

Assuming waterproof electrics, take out the batteries, hose off the dirt and blow dry. Get to know what type of bearings are fitted and where. Any external bearings should be sealed/packed with grease, spraying them with light oil (WD40 etc.) can wash the grease out and lead to premature failure. If you're going to oil them, a heavy engine oil is a better option.

I bash in all weathers with the kids....after bashing I just Wong them I the boot, bit of gt85 or 3in1 oil on bearings afterwards when at home.

Jobs a good un

The only thing I've found that's very vunerable is your receiver, I've swamped a few of them, they stop working when very wet...... then I just cracked the casing open at home and dry them out, they've always works again.

I submerge lipos on the regular aswell :lol:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

I bash in all weathers with the kids....after bashing I just Wong them I the boot, bit of gt85 or 3in1 oil on bearings afterwards when at home.

Jobs a good un

The only thing I've found that's very vunerable is your receiver, I've swamped a few of them, they stop working when very wet...... then I just cracked the casing open at home and dry them out, they've always works again.

I submerge lipos on the regular aswell :lol:

Yeah, they are all fine. What radio are you using?

I have an absima CR3P and they do some very good waterproof receivers for them. At £20 they are a bit pricey, but if you know your car is going to get a regular submerging they are super. I also use the flysky receivers which are £5 each but not waterproof, and like you say just dry them out after and they work again. just I know that the flysky ones work with the absima radio, so I suspect the absima waterproof ones work fine with a flysky and work through the wet.

I once found my car upside down in a small stream, water up to the chassis. As I said earlier, only issue was the lipo alarm, everything else was fine (using the waterproof rx's that is)