• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Focus Speedo going bonkers

NOFX

Hi. My missess' Speedo is going bonkers.  The lights dim & the radio volume changes when it happens. It's intermittent.  Any ideas guys? I've heard there's a connection under the airbox that can cause electrical problems.  But it's sodding freezing here & the cold kicks off my arthritis  :/ . I wanna be a bit more sure before I cripple my hands for no reason  . Ta 

• 3 weeks later...

I cleanedup the grounding points under the airbox.  The Speedos still going bonkers :boredlook:. I've got the mot on my Subaru outback next week :crying: . Looks like a skint few months ahead:huh:

• 2 weeks later...

More than likely the Speedo drive itself. Changed hundreds of them. What size engine is it and how old ? 

They are a pig to change if 1.6 or 1.8 .  They are a magnetic pick up from the diff and they break down. 

On 05/02/2018 at 09:59, NOFX said:

Hi. It's an 03 1.6. It's odd that the lights dim & the stereo gets louder :huh:.   I was told that the 2 earths under the airbox needed cleaning. Did that. Didn't help  :boredlook:

A surprising amount of electrics are dependent on the Speedo drive. Such as the AVC in the stereo. Common to go wrong. The 1.6 is the most common. Bugger to get to but no too expensive. 

I'm bloody crap at electrical stuff. I'm amazed I ain't burnt the house down with my lipos :boredlook:. How much labour charge do ya rekon itd be at a garage?  We've got one within walkin distance that charge about £45 An hour. How many hours to fit a new drive & get it back together roughly?

An hour at most with a garage. The biggest issue is getting out the small pin that holds it in. If you look straight down the back of the gearbox from the top you will see a black plug on the top off the diff. Soak the crap out of it with wd40, this goes a long way in getting it out. The pin is easiest removed from underneath with a pair of mole grips, gently twisting it and teasing it out. If it snaps the pooh gets very deep. Poss gearbox out. I have yet to fail using this method. ?

Cheers loads mate:D.  If it's not bloody freezing tomorrow I'll soak it in penetrating fluid. There's an auto spares place about 1/2 a mile from mine. If they ain't got the part they'll have it by the next day. They're a 1/3 the price of Halfords :D. Ta  again .