• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which tablet?

Oh How Original

I'm in the market for a tablet, all I really want it for is watching movies on, ideally ones I can just copy and paste straight onto it.

I don't want to have to watch them online and pay for loads of data when I'm out and about.

It'll be for when we go and do some long exposure photography and timelapse stuff etc...

Ideally something with some reasonable memory, or at least the ability to take a decent sized memory card.

Screen size isn't a huge issue, just want something bigger than my phone, but it will be held pretty close so it shouldn't be an issue with a smaller screen.

Nothing Apple.

I'll consider any other brand though.

Suggestions please?

I have one of the Asus 10.1" tablets running Android 6 (Marshmellow) which I bought for an astronomy app for recording video that was only available for Android. Good screen and takes a 128gb micro SD card.

Last years model so should be able to pick one up for a good price.

John

Edited by johninderby

I will chime in with one of the Galaxy Tab S I have had mine for about 3 years and it is brilliant compared to the other tabs that Samsung do, I've had a Tab 2 and 3 and they were both slow and painful in comparison so I have returned to the S version again, I'm not sure which versions of it they are on now but I think they changed them to the Pro series.

I have to say I have an iPad for my youngest but I still prefer the Tab S, I am just not a fan of apple and wouldn't have an iPhone or iPad I just don't like them!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

I agree with gavster on apple, not a fan of apple stuff, took an iPad to China for work and didnt use more than once. Not quite the just works I was promised. A lot of that was to do with the iTunes lock-in but also email shortcomings. 

We have a lenovo tab and Samsung s at home and both have been bang on. Much prefer a memory card or standard usb for transfer.

We use the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active at work, that’s a mouth full in its self, no where near as good as my IPads. But you can do great party trick, stick it under water in a bucket and it does still work. :o

Not a fan of Apple, so I won't buy Apple products.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, the Samsung Tab S and Asus sound promising, I'm not really a huge fan of Lenovo either... I do like Smasung and Asus though, so will have a gander on evilBay :D 

Not wanting to spend a huge amount because it's only for use maybe once or twice a month while I'm out and about.

5 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Not a fan of Apple, so I won't buy Apple products.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, the Samsung Tab S and Asus sound promising, I'm not really a huge fan of Lenovo either... I do like Smasung and Asus though, so will have a gander on evilBay :D 

Not wanting to spend a huge amount because it's only for use maybe once or twice a month while I'm out and about.

Having owned a few lenovo things I dont blame you. I dont trust them or their spec claims anymore but tbf, outside of spyware and battery longevity the kit seems okay. Samsung would get my vote out of the two as well. I like Sony phones but never had any of their tabs. Apple would be last resort for me.

9 minutes ago, Smoothybb said:

Having owned a few lenovo things I dont blame you. I dont trust them or their spec claims anymore but tbf, outside of spyware and battery longevity the kit seems okay. Samsung would get my vote out of the two as well. I like Sony phones but never had any of their tabs. Apple would be last resort for me.

Not to just sound like a hater, but I've had iPads before and I wouldn't have another one given.

I will have a look at the Samsungs and Asus though, the Tab S sounds the most promising :D 

The Asus is pretty good for the price. Not the fastest but good enough to actually use in the real world with features that are useable. Tried some cheaper tablets but found them frustratingly slow to do anything. 

This is the latest version.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-zenpad-z300m-10-1-tablet-16-gb-grey-10146810-pdt.html

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

This is also pretty good although now only available in store but very good price.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/acer-iconia-one-10-1-tablet-16-gb-white-10147744-pdt.html

That actually has some good reviews as well... I don't need anything overly powerful, as long as it'll hold 5 or 6 movies at a time, that'll last me a few outings, then delete and add more.

Thanks for the link John, not sure we have a Currys anywhere near, but I'm sure eBay may provide something based on the make and model :good:

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

How many movies on a 128gb card

https://www.quora.com/How-many-movies-on-average-does-128GB-hold

at Argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5988907

John

Found an Argos refurbed unit for £75 on evilBay, they have loads and it's listed as Grade A which is basically someone who bought it and returned it within the 30 day window, for whatever reason.

That £25 will buy the case and memory card.

Most of my movies are sub 1gb because of the source I get them from, they're good quality and small file sizes.

32gb card should do me nicely, I'll get at least 25 on it anyway which will last me for the year lol.