• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Noob question

Hoob

Ok im waiting on parts to arrive to get my hellion select four 10tr (same roller as vkar bison ).

Bits will probably be here tomorrow but this evening iv noticed oil at the bottom of one of my shocks .

I took it off lifted the rubber gator that covers the shaft of the shock and yeah its definately coming from there .

What do i do now ?

Obviously im going to need shock oil wich i can probably get up the road at active scale models. 

But do i need to order the shock seal kit for my car or is it a generic o ring type thing for shocks.

Like one kit fits many ?

Oh and is it a bad idea to run it before i sort this out 

Edited by Hoob

Leaky shocks aren't the end of the world - top them up and run - see how much has leaked out by the end of your run.  They obv won't perform optimally but for bashing you may not really notice.  Many shocks have the same o-rings but not all so unless you know what size you need just order the correct parts.

Hope that helps.

10 hours ago, Hoob said:

Ok thanks .

Havent got a clue what grade of oil is in there already iv had a good google but cant seem to find any thing other thane some one putting w55 all round on an upgraded dominus im guessing they were upgraded shocks to ?

Have you checked the manual?  The helion one is prob avail to download online.

I'd suggest then asking some other owners what they use - in the absence of that then I'd try 30-40wt max associated shock oil myself, or the equivalent from other brands.  Ideally you'd want to fill both fronts (or rears or even all 4) with the same oil but if your just topping up to see if it leaks again / hold you over till the rebuild kit comes, it won't hurt adding a bit to mix with what's already in there.

• Like 1

I havent actualy ordered the rebuild kit yet .

Was just gonna dump all the oil out of all 4 and replace with whatever seemed to me to be the best suggestion 

Il wait till i break something else (wont be long:boredlook:

Then order to save on postage .

Thanks by the way i realy appreciate all the advice youve been giving me

:D

2 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

You'll need to rebuild the shocks at some point...

As all your new oil will leak out after 1 or 2 runs

Yeah i will do .

Kind of looking forward to it .

Iv actualy got my shocks sitting now full up with the cap off waiting for the air bubbles to dissapate ala you tube tutorial .

But one thing i have noticed is that my top caps dont have a diaphragm/bladder in the top or any where, just an orange o ring seated around the insde edge of the topcap with a circular space in the centre.

So im a bit stumped now on how to fill without any air locks 

Yeah i didnt have much choice realy lol .

Not sure if i t was the right thing to do or not but i compressed them about a cm to get a good amount of rebound .

After watching a video deafty posted back in 2015 lol

Edited by Hoob