• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First cars for kids, Truggy, monster truck?

DennisCA

My twin boys birthdays are here (age 4) so I figured I should give them a quality RC car, something to grow into hopefully. I'm so far been going back and forth on what to get and what brand and so forth. I have heard good things about the HPI and their mini recon 1/18 MT looks real interesting. I have searched this forum and Maverick seems to have a good reputation as well, the Maverick Ion X1 truggy, it's 10 euros cheaper than the HPI too. I think both are good choices, I am even thinking of going with one of each (each must have his own I think, or there will be fighting).

Does anyone have the edge over the other? I think I read the Maverick is waterproof (to what extent though?), that would be a definite pro.

Also do you think either of these are suitable for kids of this age, I think maybe it's bordering on the advanced, but they'll only get to play supervised until they grow up more and can be counted not to just bash them to smithereens. I want one of each so they'll only be getting this one present from me if I go this route, aside from some stuff I make myself in the shop.

You need to consider WHERE you are going to run it - decided how big.

You need to clarify what your TOTAL BUDGET is - truck, batteries, charger.

Being for beginners, there will be accidents and breakages as they learn - can you locate spares easily?

Then it needs to be something they want to run - the fun side!!

Al.

Additional to my mini Revo comment, I just bought my son a ripmax husky, can't go wrong for £60. Solid little car, ready to run, compete with nimh pack and a charger, the charger is crap but it's in there.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Maverick is a good chassis, easy to tinker with, easy to get spares and upgrades in the UK (I went for alu dog bones, drive cups out of the diffs, and shocks). It is very bouncy and prone to flipping, but good on dirt and general bashing if you don't mind some repairing.

Revo is £235 nuff said.

Actually, will through this into the mix:

Sure it's not a truggy / MT, but it is waaay more stable than the Ion, it won't jump as far but it hugs terrain well, got nice firm landings, and is fast as sweaty balls on 3S lipo. Cheaper than the Ion too, although you would need to make bumpers really!