• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Slash 2WD - Mike Jenkins Mods

Hi guys, just need some advice. My first RC was the Tamiya Manta Ray back in the day. I had this when it first came out. I just purchased the Traxxas Slash 2WD - Mike Jenkins and it just arrived at work now. I'd like to add some cool mods to it. One of them is to add the RPM Spare Tyre Carrier so I can add two spare tires in the back like a trophy truck. What I also want to do is something like this guy has done to his truck.

He added bigger 2.8 Pro-line Trencher tires and it looks totally sick. Only problem is I can only have one or the other modifications. I can see some problems adding bigger tires to this short course truck when doing high jumps. Also those tires will not fit on the carrier and the weight at the back will be an issue as well. Perhaps maybe you guys can give your honest views about what I should do :) I'm going to install some LED lights to this truck as well but will do that last.

Thanks for your help

Edited by MasterRich

I love the MT versions of the Slash, look great IMO. The slash is a basher, even more so in MT form, no spec class for that bad boy! Personally I'd leave the spare wheels and any other 'scale' appendages to the crawler boys and the shelfers, and just drive your slash like you stole it, in which case pretty much anything that protrudes from the basic shell will get ripped off within a couple of mins anyway... :D well it would with me anyway...

welcome to the forum BTW!

My slash MT killed the half pipe yesterday. The teens all shudderd from the force it hit the hand rail. Shook the whole ramp 2x half pipes spine idk lol. But it was totally fine. I did it 2-3 more times just falling out the air levelling it out. It was the first time ive done anything like that. My first mad BL rc. We'll get footage next time. My tires are taped but still balloon i used 1in tape like a fool so it balloons on the edges.

I had to cut up my sc body to fit tho. Otherwise it will cut into the tires until the tires finally spilt. But i like how it turned out. 

20170408_142202_zps82drfkwv.jpg

20170821_114329_zps9ooth7mr.jpg

Is it brushless already? I just converted a brushed to brushless and its atleast twice as fun now. Best £27 upgrade so far. 

• Like 1

I've recently purchased a Slash 2wd with virtually everything replaced with RPM parts, Velineon Brushless Electrics, LCG chassis and a rather lovely proline body on it.

Granted I bought it with the intention of keeping it in SC form as I already have a Stampede for MT duties. I'm loving it so far, it struggles with Grass due to it having tarmac focused tyres but I have some SC Badlands on the way so I'll happily report back with how well it copes with the rough stuff once they are on.

I may one day convert to a HCG and 2.8 wheels down the line if I grow tired of the SC format as they do look awesome in that setup.

In terms of gearing mines running 23/86 on 3S with no heat issues on tarmac, once the badlands are on and it's tackling rougher terrain I'll probably drop the pinion down to 19 and I'd suggest the same when running 2.8s.

My Stampede which isn't massively dissimilar to a Slash in MT form runs perfectly on 19/86 with 2S again with no heat issues and that's with a set of 2.8 trenchers. The only weak point for me was the driveshafts but as yours is brushed you should be fine.

Hope all the above helps and enjoy your Slash [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk