• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 - Brushless conversion Build

50 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

I can't believe I missed this!

Yes please on the photo front, I was chatting to dad and we looked at a few designs he thinks it will be easy enough.

I don't suppose you could measure it for me?

I would also really appreciate a quick measure and some pics of the battery box if you have a chance, I was hoping to 3D print something?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Let me know what dimensions you want and I'll do my best with the ol' metal ruler...

Imgur works then!!

Edited by Smoothybb
Messing with an image embedder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Smoothybb said:

Let me know what dimensions you want and I'll do my best with the ol' metal ruler...

Imgur works then!!

Those Pics are great, I will talk to my dad and see if we need any more information!

Thanks for posting :)

Gav

9 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

Those Pics are great, I will talk to my dad and see if we need any more information!

Thanks for posting :)

Gav

No problem. Its WIP so u got a while before it gets put back together. No problem to take the mount apart to measure as I need to change the pinion and mesh anyway.

So after a little advice on an ESC.

There are some Hobbywing Quickrun WP8BL 150 on eBay for around £70 and the on Modelsport has them for £88 I'm thinking it is probably better to go for the Modelsport one? What do you think?

Also on Modelsport there are some Hobbywing EZRUN MAX 8 V3 there is about £30 between them the EZRUN is just under £110 so what is the difference?

Also on either of those what do you do about a program card?

Depends how quickly you want it.  If you can wait couple weeks id get the quicrun 150 from rcmart - very reliable service and only 58 quid delivered, and no extra costs on delivery, well I've never been snagged for any...

The max8 is a better ESC, obviously, mainly due to the beefier BEC, but whether you'd actually notice any difference with the sort of servo you'd likely use in a 1/8 buggy, I really don't know. Unlikely imo.

You can use the STD HW led program box on all the quicrun and ezrun ESC units, just connect up via the fan port. Very easy and one of the reasons I'm slowly moving over to all HW esc's. About 7/8 quid from the bay.

OK ordered one :ssh:

So next recommendations for batteries please...

Is it best to run a single 4S or should I be looking at dual batteries, 2x 3S or 2x 2S??

Any help appreciated!

I found 2x2s fitted better under the shell at its standard height as they could lean inwards. I now run 5s bricks though and have raised the body up a touch (easy mods).

If you've gone for evssv's motor I would consider going straight for 5s or even 6s seeing as it's a 2000kv :) 

A 5S brick hmmm I'll take a look I am quite controlled on the trigger so I shouldn't have an issue.

Yes I have gone for the Leopard 2000kv and I ordered the Hobbywing Quickrun 150a ESC although I'm hoping that's not a mistake.

I only have an overlander 5amp max charger so a single cell would be a good starter but maybe I need to review the charger at some point and look at charging multiples.

OK so my roller turned up today :D

I am going to strip it down, remove the centre diff and mounts give them to the old fella once the motor turns up and he can mill me a motor mount!

I also ordered a set of pinions and the Hobbywing Quickrun 150a ESC, I think I need to look at the program card for the ESC.

Next on the list is to make some battery trays, I am not sure if I should invest in the batteries first or try to design something off spec size?

I will post some pics up later.

If you really enjoy fabricating stuff, then go ahead and make some trays... but TBH, the Losi 8ight trays are very good, cheap and what most peeps use when doing a Hyper leccy conversion.  If you do go to the trouble of making some, I'd be very interested to see what you come up with, as the only area I can see to improve on the Losi tray would be to have higher front and side walls, to better protect the lipo in the event of a very heavy front on impact.  I just glue some extra lexan pieces in the appropriate places, but obviously would be better integrated.

Those 5s nano's are a decent price. I use the Zippy 5s 5000mah 40c and they come in at around £45 each + delivery (hmm, tempted to order one myself). The 5s 5800mah 30c wouldn't be a horrible shout either but size may be an issue (unless you find/design a tray that will fit :D).

For 4s - standard somewhere around 5000mah and 40c....again that 8000mah would be a good shout but all depending on space/tray options.

Of the options above for 6s I would take two of the 3s and run them in series :thumbsup:

Hobbyking has a UK warehouse nowadays so as long as you check that's where they are coming from then there will be no import fees :) 

Edited by Ross9999992

If you really enjoy fabricating stuff, then go ahead and make some trays... but TBH, the Losi 8ight trays are very good, cheap and what most peeps use when doing a Hyper leccy conversion.  If you do go to the trouble of making some, I'd be very interested to see what you come up with, as the only area I can see to improve on the Losi tray would be to have higher front and side walls, to better protect the lipo in the event of a very heavy front on impact.  I just glue some extra lexan pieces in the appropriate places, but obviously would be better integrated.
I think I will see what batteries I order then either buy or make.....

I may start anew build thread or just update this one but either way I'll keep you posted!

u may also wanna change them stock chassis braces for the cnc ones as there a lot stronger....:good:

I`d jump on this before sum one else do....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYPER-7-ALUMINIUM-BLUE-FRONT-BRACES-/112493142465?hash=item1a311d21c1:g:QYMAAOSwGUxZdR8L   :yes:

its a rear btw..not front....:good:..because u don't wanna pay this price do u...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Chassis-Brace-87310-RC-WillPower-HOBAO-Hyper-7-/191675604467?epid=1591790545&hash=item2ca0c19df3:g:J6cAAOSwOyJX6L-K  :o:o

Edited by evssv

And double up the shock towers or fit ST pro ones... You could make use of the existing chassis braces as secondary units going from the centre diff top plate back to the wing mount bolt and fwd to the steering assembly top plate - there's even a nice hole already there for you!

• Like 1

I was going to ask what add ons I need so keep the ideas coming :)

I think the first steps will be to tear it down and work out what makes it tick!

OK so you guys are going to cost me a small fortune!

So I have placed the order on this, I didn't even bother making an offer! (the first one not the second)

44 minutes ago, evssv said:

u may also wanna change them stock chassis braces for the cnc ones as there a lot stronger....:good:

I`d jump on this before sum one else do....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYPER-7-ALUMINIUM-BLUE-FRONT-BRACES-/112493142465?hash=item1a311d21c1:g:QYMAAOSwGUxZdR8L   :yes:

its a rear btw..not front....:good:..because u don't wanna pay this price do u...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Chassis-Brace-87310-RC-WillPower-HOBAO-Hyper-7-/191675604467?epid=1591790545&hash=item2ca0c19df3:g:J6cAAOSwOyJX6L-K  :o:o

So when you say double up do you literally mean buy a set of towers and sandwich them? £6 for the standard set or £26 rear and £10 front??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobao-Hyper-7-Front-And-Rear-Shock-Towers-/282522926894?hash=item41c7adbf2e:g:V3cAAOSwLsBZP6wY

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=26907&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrIr2qqe01QIVDo0bCh0k6AvhEAkYAyABEgJgr_D_BwE

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/10416/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-syYpKe01QIVVBobCh33YAklEAQYASABEgJE_fD_BwE

36 minutes ago, bertberr said:

And double up the shock towers or fit ST pro ones... You could make use of the existing chassis braces as secondary units going from the centre diff top plate back to the wing mount bolt and fwd to the steering assembly top plate - there's even a nice hole already there for you!

Finally,

What bodies do people run?

Edited by Gavster29