• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 - Brushless conversion Build

Hey folks,

So I am looking for a project and from what I understand the Brushless Hyper 7 is an awesome truck!

So my questions:-

What is a good starting point, are there different versions of the 7 to look out for?  I was thinking a rolling chassis?

What do I need to convert this over to brushless, what are people using, 4s?

What ESC and Motor choice on a budget?

This would only be for me bashing the truck, I really want a 1/8 basher, I already have the HPI Savage XS was thinking of going for it's bigger brother but fancy a truggy more than an MT!

Thanks,

Gavin

Edited by Gavster29

There's a few obvious differences like the pbs and pro models, less obvious such as shock sizes on others but generally all the same. The later the better IMHO if ur looking for used then upgrade to your hearts content. Plenty of choice of motor/esc, start with 4s and go up to 6 if u wish for insanity. If just bashing, 4s should do you for now but get the electrics for 6s now if u think u might want stoopid speed. Conversion kits seem to be absima available at the moment with a losi battery tray. Fake castle motors seem to be on trend but few others out there such as leopard or tenshock will make it go quick enough.

Thanks@Smoothybb

I keep reading on the Forum about fake Castle motors are they easy to find, I mean do I put a search on eBay for fake castle motor or do they have a make/brand?

I have my eye on a Hyper 7 roller on the bay no engine, no exhaust and no fuel tank, comes with a couple of servos, wheels and drivetrain if I can get it at the right price then it could be a good start?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a leopard in my other hyper and can agree it's much fun, even on 4s.

If it's that one at 35 currently, it could be okay depending on how high it goes. There's a few on there at £85 but I think that's a bit high tbh. I paid less than that for my last one a few months back and that had spider diff, cnc towers, graphite radio tray, two shells and ally braces. Basically way upgraded compared to the one's on there bog standard, basic shocks etc. Maybe it's summer pricing, I don't know. Upto about £65 is reasonable for a standard, clean example.

Yes that was the one I'm watching, everything seems to be up in the £85 or more category at the moment! Maybe I need to hang back and keep watching?

Hi ESSV

I am interested can I get back to you at the end of the week if you still have it? Depending on what happens with this eBay car.

OK so I am kicking myself!

I had a meeting and forgot to bid on the Hyper 7 Roller and it went for £41 plus £10 postage, just not to me :(

So I will keep looking!

@evssv I will pass on the motor for now, I could really do with knowing what Buggy I am dealing with before buying the running gear.

4 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

OK so I am kicking myself!

I had a meeting and forgot to bid on the Hyper 7 Roller and it went for £41 plus £10 postage, just not to me :(

So I will keep looking!

@evssv I will pass on the motor for now, I could really do with knowing what Buggy I am dealing with before buying the running gear.

No worries :good:..but my motor will go in to Any 1/8th buggy..truggy..

Truck. ....running  either 4-5-6s.....so it'll fit no matter  what u buy :good: ....and 37 is a bargain ;)

Edited by evssv

Ok so possibly sorted a roller!

So what kit do I need, thinking I could DIY it, mill out a motor mount and 3D print a battery box?

What about pinions?
@evssv what did you run that motor on, i am guessing some 150a ESC? What about a quickrun?

A wp quicrun 150a would be a great choice of esc (it's what I'll be buying if either of my other 150a's go pop) and yeah as evssv said a 1/8 motor is a 1/8 motor, most can be volted/geared to work in a hyper :) 

You'll be looking £30-£50 for a cheapish motor, there's a couple fs on here. Evssv's would do nicely also :D 

There's a good market for hyper motor mounts, if you can come up with something decent people on here will buy them (put me down for one) if you can be bothered with that :good: 

Thanks guys, my dad runs a CNC mill so if we can design 1 I might be able to knock a few up, I need a motor first!
@evssv have you sold the motor to Gil if not I'm still interested, has it had much use?

So where is the best place to get pinions?

I need to give him a SHIPPING PRICE WHICH I`M 100% GONNA ...bloody caps.....:rolleyes:.....get tomorrow for him....so if he passes on it its up for grabs...:good:...I used to get a 3x pack of novak pinnys off ebay for around 15 quid from the usa.....

Edited by evssv

2 minutes ago, evssv said:

I need to give him a SHIPPING PRICE WHICH I`M 100% GONNA ...bloody caps.....:rolleyes:.....get tomorrow for him....so if he passes on it its up for grabs...:good:...I used to get a 3x pack of novak pinnys off ebay for around 15 quid from the usa.....

OK thank you, let me know!

There seems to be two main types of mount, fixed style: round circle to bolt motor too, attached to something similar to a centre diff mount. The other has a slide arrangement which offers a bigger range of pinion sizes. I have one of the latter waiting to be fitted if u want any photos for inspiration.

There seems to be two main types of mount, fixed style: round circle to bolt motor too, attached to something similar to a centre diff mount. The other has a slide arrangement which offers a bigger range of pinion sizes. I have one of the latter waiting to be fitted if u want any photos for inspiration.
I can't believe I missed this!

Yes please on the photo front, I was chatting to dad and we looked at a few designs he thinks it will be easy enough.

I don't suppose you could measure it for me?

I would also really appreciate a quick measure and some pics of the battery box if you have a chance, I was hoping to 3D print something?

16 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

I can't believe I missed this!

Yes please on the photo front, I was chatting to dad and we looked at a few designs he thinks it will be easy enough.

I don't suppose you could measure it for me?

I would also really appreciate a quick measure and some pics of the battery box if you have a chance, I was hoping to 3D print something?

well that leopard is alll urs if u want ..:yes:.gill jus said he don't want it....:no_prv: