• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya TT-02 type s Rally build

danny boy

Hi all, been a while since I started a thread on here, but the RC spark has reignited and I decided to start out with a class I have never tired before. So here goes my first rally build and return to RC after a couple of years.

Decided I wanted a TT-02 type s. Probably not as convenient as an xv-01. But where is the fun in that. Kit arrived quickly from Tamico, along with some other goodies.

3K1GA89.jpg

Surprisingly small box, I hope it's all there...

hwgnMxv.jpg

Yep, packed with the usual Tamiya efficiency. Then unpacked just as quick.

1EbmqSb.jpg

Upgrades assembled, need to order a new spur gear so I can replace the odd size the Tamiya pack.

cXQOB6N.jpg

That new chassis smell.

Vu70S1F.jpg

New bits going in.

YmonIDs.jpg

More blue stuff.

5CREFq5.jpg

Shaving plastic off the front suspension arms allows a little more ride height.

5GS7bRW.jpg

And a picture I blatantly stole off Tamiya club.

f77v9.jpg

Comparison between the modded and un-modded.

ZKcamrq.jpg

Almost there now.

s9Ki6tv.jpg

That's more like it.

LsO4WLi.jpg

Fitted all the suspension parts. Going to order better TC shocks for more adjustability. Ride height not looking bad.

6AK4ioC.jpg

Uh-oh. It was at this point I realized I had forgotten to order some crucial parts. The aluminium steering rack and CVD's. I will stick them in the next order, but for now I'll carry on.

Test fitting. Going to try an LRP x12 8.5t motor and see what that deal. Bonus chopping board included.

h0tw0Lo.jpg

That's all for now folks. Still undecided on a body shell. Thinking I may get a killerbody Lanci Delta as a shelf shell and a knock-off cheapo Subaru shell (or Supabu I think they call it :lol:) for bashing. Along with some offset wheels for a little more stability of course!

Edited by danny boy
  • Like 2

Liking that! Keep the pics coming of the build :good:  I did the same with the suspension arms on an FG a few years back, managed another 8-10mm lift which helped it no end. 

Thanks guys! Been busy working on the diffs trying them make them feel a little less open. Fitted a 70t standard pinion when I was there. Should increase my gearing options very nicely.

Bocxrp0.jpg

Edited by danny boy

Cabling close to being done. Positive cable is a little tight so may replace the whole thing if that causes issues, though that is the one cable I haven't had to re-solder so may as well just to get the full set :lol:

hTqaT1i.jpg?1

Servo has been ordered along with a few other bits. And turbomac wheels and a delta shell in the next order for this kind of look.

RoNCVnY.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I'd stick with a single coloured road going version of the Lancia, no livery.

I've built and decaled a TT-02 Lancia Delta Martini and to be honest, it was the most royal PITA to decal :lol:  Trying to get those decals around the arches and sit flat is a near on impossibility without getting creases. A quick look, it looks great. But close up...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisT said:

Personally, I'd stick with a single coloured road going version of the Lancia, no livery.

I've built and decaled a TT-02 Lancia Delta Martini and to be honest, it was the most royal PITA to decal :lol:  Trying to get those decals around the arches and sit flat is a near on impossibility without getting creases. A quick look, it looks great. But close up...

I can appreciate what ya mean haha  it's something I'm kind of not really looking forward to when I decal it..  I feel much colourful language will appear come that day!

• Like 1

Couple of parts arrived today, new trackstar servo was the main thing. Always wanted to try one but not in my 1/10 buggies, this seemed like a better test platform though. Seems to work well, but not sure how long I can expect it to last.

Decided to modify one of the unused kit parts.

eZGCWig.jpg

Perfect fit

qjpUKIE.jpg

Can you see it? Trust me it's there, sat just in front of the battery, told you it was a good fit :P

All wired up! Calibrated, ready to roll. Gave it a little blast in the garden, more pokey than I was first thinking it would be.  But no video yet :( Now where to get that steering rack...

FIovGxi.jpg

As for shell colour, I am still also undecided :P.

Edited by danny boy
  • Like 1

Thanks Yoodoo! 

I have ordered some more front suspension arms, as I can maybe see me getting through a few of these. So decided to take a risk, cut away the bar across the suspension arm completely, the hub can now fall completely through the arm, getting just as much travel as the rear now. Not sure how it will affect strength, just wait an see!

pCx7hVr.jpg

Playing with suspension also. Found some really soft Yokomo drift springs for the shocks. Car is getting round really nicely on grass, even on slicks :lol:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So a little bit of progress. Though not as much as I'd have liked.

The aluminium steering rack arrived. It's a lovely bit of kit, contains all the screws and bearings and tightens up the steering beautifully.

Cjv4Muc.jpg

Now for the downside. As this is a TT-02, I ordered a set of TT-02 CVD's for it. Unfortunately it seems they don't fit. As this is a type s, it looks like what I really needed was Tamiya TA05 CVD's. So now I'm stick with a set of CVD's I can't use :crying:.

uy8LACc.jpg

Oh well. Learn from your mistakes right? :lol:. Got to try find some TA05 parts now. Not sure how easy that is going to be.

Edited by danny boy

• 4 months later...

Great build thread :good:

Myself and my boy have just got ourselves a couple of TT02-D’s thanks to Santa :003:

We will be going the drift route to start with a probably stick with the out the box brushed setup but this thread will prove very useful if we get bored of drifting.

Did you find a use for the CVDs? Could take them off your hands if you wanted to recoup some funds. Thought it was worth asking as they should fit ours fine.

Looking forward to seeing the finished car!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...