• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photobucket wants payment for 3rd party hosting.

ChrisT

Just now, johninderby said:

$399.00 per year actually but still extortionate. :@.@:

John. 

Near enough, still far too much to post images to a forum, especially when others are still free and simpler and quicker to use (For now)

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I've heard rumours that Imgur has plans iof copying Photobucket and charging for 3rd part hosting.  Hopefully they change their mind when they see the backlash Photobucket is getting.

John

In that case I am quite happy I did not swap to them either!

You would hope so, but you never know.

1 minute ago, Fly In My Soup said:

And that's why it's not a long term Solution to simply switch.

A great and easy quick switch is fantastic, for now....

And why I am trying to find other solutions, just not sure what yet.

27 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Image hosting by the particular forum is the answer long term for sure. I'd be willing to pay a bit for it.

John

Yeah, that sounds good.

I don't mind paying a bit, a few quid a month is fine, just nothing like what photobucket wants. Also you would be supporting the forum, which gives back to us, so is more beneficial.

Do you know how much space you get with gold membership?

You can use a secure cloud server, sure as Google drive etc still even though they stopped providing direct image hosting themselves

So for me i store images on an SD card in tablet or phone, then upload to drive , is an ok short term solution for me , as all my images are stored with myself

As stretch said, a long term secure solution would entirely depend on msuk

50mb I think.

Check under your profile for usage.

Heres mine: You have used 2.38 MB of your 48.83 MB attachment limit.

Not an awful lot especially with the amount of images some users post in their threads. Mine are always resized to 800 or 900 which brings them down to roughly 200 - 300kb but with the amount of images, 50mb wouldn't last long.

I'd also be willing to pay extra, maybe additional cost to gold membership.

41 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

50mb I think.

Check under your profile for usage.

Heres mine: You have used 2.38 MB of your 48.83 MB attachment limit.

Not an awful lot especially with the amount of images some users post in their threads. Mine are always resized to 800 or 900 which brings them down to roughly 200 - 300kb but with the amount of images, 50mb wouldn't last long.

I'd also be willing to pay extra, maybe additional cost to gold membership.

Thanks.

I have not yet got gold. Still spending all my money on RC parts, rather than membership to things like this.

50mb is a lot better than the non gold 2.93 mb though. May have to upgrade very soon then!

• 2 weeks later...

They started with the most offenders ( the ones which are taking up the most bandwidth/most photos linked to sites)

I've only got 1267 photos on photobucket, but ALL of them are linked to forums, most of them here on MSUK, or at least they were :blink: and they all disappeared as soon as I got the email the day this thread was started.

If you only have a small number of images linked to threads then your likely to be at the bottom of their hit list. However, seeing as your images still work, there is time to fix that by migrating them to another host and fixing your links.

For the odd image here and there, that isn't a big job or you might not be to bothered about a few images?

If you have build threads with over 50 to 150 images then the task is monumental :banghead:

You can download and save your images from photobucket, and then re upload to another host or like myself, also keep every image on my drive in relevant folders which are then backed up.

One things for certain, at some point your account will be done and you will no longer be able to link images. I'd suggest, as will others to switch hosting sites immediately iff you don't want a future of broken links, use either https://imgur.com or https://postimages.org

Once you've used those two sites, you'll realise what photobucket was lacking :thumbsup:

Just got an email from talk audio forum, this is what they're planning.

Hi all,

In light of Photobuckets recent activities, and the obvious impact it will have on forums such as TS, the admin team have been discussing the best course of action to keep our community "useful".

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of threads with images in them that were serviced by photobucket, and as a result, we have got to the point where there will be a *lot* of dead content on the forum.

To that end, Switch and I have been discussing options, and we are going to try to "pull" the images that are referenced in threads  from photobucket, and host them on TS's webservers, and automagically update all the threads with the new location.

Needless to say, this may not work, and it may take a while to achieve if it does work!

So two main things.

1. We are *not* pulling all your photobucket images - only those posted in TS. Your other images will not even be looked at

2. A request - From reading the threads about photobucket on here, it seems some of you are already (understandably)  migrating, or are planning on migrating away from Photobucket . We would like to request that you leave your images on photobucket for 4 weeks - to give us time to relink everything. If you have already deleted your photobucket account, then I can only ask that you update your threads with the new links. If you cannot do this, it is totally understandable, but we can but ask.

We will let you know how we get on with this project, but with our current commitments, it is going to take a while.

Thanks for reading.

Sounds like a lot of work :@.@: