• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC and motor upgrade advice - HPI E Firestorm 10t

Simo

I bought myself a traxxas rustler vxl brushless a couple of years ago for me and my son to get into and a year or so ago he bought himself a HPI E-Firestorm 10t so he could join in the fun and have a bit of racing. He got this as it was a bit easier to handle and now he has got the hang a bit he is looking to get some more power from his car.

My immediate thought was to upgrade the esc and motor but haven't a clue what I am looking for or things I need to consider.

It would be good for him to get something similar to my rustler so we can race evenly.

Does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations or advice please?

Thanks

That should be it for the time being, upgrade as you break things really.

T-Bone bumpers are highly recommended for the E-firestorm, and a good servo can help too:

http://www.insidelinemodels.com/inside-line-shop/servos/srt-servos/srt-dl5015-lv-digital-servo-15kg-0-13-sec-6v-semi-alloy-case-waterproof-p

id recommend the hobbywing stuff. There new g2 motors are great value for the money. There esc's are good too. I'm running the max10 60a esc and 3300kv 3652 g2 motor on an outlaw and its brilliant. Well worth the money. More poke than I could wish for :) 

45 minutes ago, ph678 said:

id recommend the hobbywing stuff. There new g2 motors are great value for the money. There esc's are good too. I'm running the max10 60a esc and 3300kv 3652 g2 motor on an outlaw and its brilliant. Well worth the money. More poke than I could wish for :) 

I agree, I use those motors, but the Goolrc is a good budget option, as a new hobbywing Max10 combo will set you back around £90 

To be honest @Simo this motor will be slightly better than the first I linked, as pinions are easier to find, and you can use the stock gearing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-S3650-3900KV-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-for-1-10-RC-Car-NEW-P2C9-/192122904942?hash=item2cbb6ae16e:g:YXUAAOSwTuJYvRw7

If we could get the hobbywing Max10 combo for £90 that would probably be a stretch but would be good. How would this compare to the goolrc motor suggested?

Where can I get this combo from?

I do love HW Max stuff, and would definitely go for a Max10SCT if you can. BUT If you can't stretch to that, I honestly don't think you'd notice a difference with the Gool combo. Ive owned both. The Gool isn't finished as nice, and doesn't look a quality product, but they work and perform well in my experience.

2 hours ago, Simo said:

If we could get the hobbywing Max10 combo for £90 that would probably be a stretch but would be good. How would this compare to the goolrc motor suggested?

Where can I get this combo from?

In the UK:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-max10-sct-120a-speed-controller/rc-car-products/405158

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-3652sl-4000kv-g2-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/407498

That's the combo I run, it is superb.

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, bertberr said:

Out of interest, apart from the sexier looking case, what are the significant differences between this max10sct and the old sc8?

More powerful BEC and a temperature sensor if you get the matching G2 motors :)

Ahh... so does it do sensored and sensorless motors then, or is it just a shut down type feature if the can gets too hot? And I thought the SC8 BEC was at least 6v, never had any issues with mine...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Ahh... so does it do sensored and sensorless motors then, or is it just a shut down type feature if the can gets too hot? And I thought the SC8 BEC was at least 6v, never had any issues with mine...

As said the BEC can go to 7.2v on the Max 10SCT. But thats only of use if your servo and rx can take the higher voltage. I run a Quicrun 150a in my Truggy, Id love it to be a Max 8 instead, but its not worth the upgrade If im been sensible

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

BEC is 6v or 7.4v 4a (you choose from either voltage, but obviously you can only use 7.4v if you are running 3s or more).

Not sensored, it's just a cut off to prevent damage from overheating (never overheated mine to test the function).