• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI PLAZMA lipo charge question

alyraver

HI all

Hoping someone can help me out here. I recently got back into RC cars and have picked up a HPI RS4 Sport 3 flux.

I purchased a lipo battery and lipo charger for it but have no idea how to charge it

The battery I have is this one: https://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=101942

Can someone check these charging settings are correct:

Set charger to Lipo 7.4v - balance charge - plug in the small white connector (only fits in one port on the charger), and plug the other 2 black and red wires up

On the charger I have to have the amps set to 5.3a as its a 5300mah lipo - is that correct?

But the cells - is this battery a 2c, 3c, 4c or 5c etc? I am unsure on that part what setting do I need for this bit? The battery says 30C tho?

Any help much appreciated!

No, 5.3a, 7.4v for a 2 cell lipo. If the lipo was a 3s or 4s pack with the same mah,  you would still set the charge current to 5.3a and alter the cell count accordingly.

2c would be 10.6a, and is not advised. Depending on your charger, a charge rate of 10a is possibly unlikely anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyraver said:

I think I understand now lol - the 30C is the discharge rate.

I think this is a 2 cell battery (7.4v)  so I think I have to have it set to 2c for charging

You should look into getting your hands on a 3s :)

1 hour ago, Noj said:

No, 5.3a, 7.4v for a 2 cell lipo. If the lipo was a 3s or 4s pack with the same mah,  you would still set the charge current to 5.3a and alter the cell count accordingly.

2c would be 10.6a, and is not advised. Depending on your charger, a charge rate of 10a is possibly unlikely anyway.

I just checked my charger and it doesn't go up to 5.3a the max is 5.0a.

on the charger for 'Lipo Charging'  it reads - 5.0a (cant go higher) then says 7.4v (2s) or I can change it to read 3.7v (1s)

just seen that on 'balance charging' the lowest I can go is 7.4v (2s) it wont give me a 1s option

Edited by alyraver

You may have sussed it by now but 2c,3c,4c is charge/discharge rate, don't confuse the c for being cells, thats 1s,2s,3s etc.

When balance charging, the charger will top up each cell individually, if you only have a single cell lipo (1s) no balancing needed, hence minimum being 2s for balance charging.

I don't believe it does any harm to charge normally, then balance for the last 10% or so.