• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Medium level flight sim?

In a moment of madness my mate (very experienced pilot) bought a flight simulator, the shop had about 50 and they were £16 a go, so figured why not, anyway it turns out it's actually pretty good, initial set up was annoying, but apart from that, it was fairly decent, the real only downside is the graphics aren't great.

I know about the Phoenix already and I don't want to spend £100+ and then need to buy a tx as well.

Just wondering if there are any other options you chaps use? Ideally with a budget of about £35 max.

I fancy getting some sim time, I had a go with my mates and immediately he said I was a natural, he's actually past several tests with big petrol and nitro planes, so for him to say that, it really just got me thinking to getting a simulator and spending a good amount of time on it and maybe get myself a plane, finally :) I have some private land I can fly something on now, so theres nothing really holding me back.

I did actually fly one of Rays powered gliders and he said I did extremely well with it, considering he'd just built it, plugged it in and gave me the tx! :lol: 

I got one of those USB 12in1 for about £10 from far east ages ago and use with Dx6i tx. Still works and updates Phoenix, cant remember what else was on there.

Something like..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Realflight-Simulator-22-In-1-Wire-Dongle-For-RC-Helicopter-G7-G6-Phoenix-FMS-/172284443780?hash=item281cf3fc84:g:OFIAAOSwux5YNo0y

The thought appeals, but I don't want to have to buy a DX6i lol, I don't want to commit £60-70 and the cost of the sim, if I never actually take flight.

If needs be I'll order the same as my mate, they are £21 with postage online, which makes me wish I'd bought one for £16 lol, but hindsight is a wonderful thing!

The graphics just aren't great, something a little bit better I feel would give a more realistic experience.

1 minute ago, locky said:

Got a link, so what do you use for control? Surely sim needs to use same tx that you would be using for real. 

It comes with one, which, to my surprise, actually feels quite nice in the hand.

So, it's not on the level of my mates DX7s and my old DX8, but it didn't feel like it was going to fall apart as soon as you put it down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Plane-Master-Radio-Controlled-Flight-Simulator-with-Mode-2-TX-Planemaster-SIM-/361313390625?hash=item541ff4d021:g:twkAAOSwhkRWeT6l

If I knew I was definitely going to end up with a plane, I'd have no problem buying a tx and lead, especially as I'd then be able to go up on a buddy lead with Ray, but I'm not 100% sure, I've fancied one for a long time, we had a powered glider, but kept getting interferance and it kept just flying off towards a signal tower!

Got a real feel for flight with Rays glider though, at a complete different location, it just flew perfectly.

Really enjoyed it, so I think the chances of doing it are good, but I'm not 100% committed yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Last guy on earth lol. Tv show pretty funny very stupid. But a guy trains up on mayb the worlds best sim before taking a real plane out lol. The sim looked amazing a real plane then projector's all around it. i bet its an obscene amount of money. Mayb pilots use it in early training. 

1 hour ago, RCbutcher said:

Ide just buy a foam trainer plane and give it a go. its only broken foam isnt it. Dont people just tape them back togeher sometimes.

Only if there isnt a hot glue gun within reach!

My mate maidened an excalibur a few weeks back without the wing spa. Bad idea! After a LOT of swearing, the tape came out and it was back in the air twenty minutes later. With the spar this time.