• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HELP NEEDED PLEASE Axial Drive Shafts

Hi, I've got a problem and I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to remove the drive shafts from the axle housing on my Wraith. Unfortunately I have striped the head of the Screw Shaft (Axial AXA0175) holding the shaft on. It has obviously been well glued in there. There is only 1mm - 2mm sticking out, so not enough to get any purchase on. Wondered if you had any tips.

Hi @NOFX

Thanks for answering, Unfortunately it doesn't stick out enough for me to do that without cutting into the drive shaft. I'm not actually replacing the shafts, just the axles otherwise I would give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion though. Appreciate it :thumbsup:

Edited by Only4Fun

Get a soldering iron on the screw to break the threadlock down. It will take a few minutes to get the area hot enough.

What drive shaft is it? Punishers use a heavy duty threadlock which I think is unsuitable as I've heard many have trouble with it.

Prepare to use a small torx driver as a sacrificial tool, hammer it into the hex and give a small prayer to the RC gods!

@banners Hello mate,

They are the stock WB8 shafts from the first RTR Wraith. They don't look like they've ever been off. I will try the soldering iron tomorrow. I will have to use a 2mm driver on the screw because the 1.5mm just turns round in it. The one on the rear shaft is just as tight, but I stopped before I messed that one up. I will try the soldering iron on that one too. Thought I was going to get it up and running today but this has really put things back :crying:  Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

Do you have any imperial sized drivers? One of them is between 1.5 and 2.0 mm and usually works well.

otherwise as banners says, the soldering iron route is the way to go. :good:

@big gaz no, unfortunately the head of the screw has totally had it. Today I tried the soldering iron but it didn't work. I left it on there for nearly an hour ! Then I tried to dremmel cut a slot and that just messed it right up. Then I cut the axle housing in half and got the shaft out and took the bevel gear and bearings off and I heated it again and tried to drill it out and blunted 3 drill bits.I heated it again and tried to knock it out with a centre punch and lump hammer. No joy. :crying: Looks like I will have to cut it off and buy new drive shafts. Right pain in the ass and money I didn't want to spend.Not very happy at the mo :(